The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Marck
On the road to being a farker

Default Smoked rump roast?

Have any of you smoked a boneless rump roast? Is that cut suitable for BBQ? I have a 4 pounder and I'm thinking about doing it on the kettle. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I smoke em to about 155*ish and slice real thin for sammies.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
LT72884
Babbling Farker

i must have posted on the other duplicate thread by accident. i have smoked an eye of round before and i was gonna try a cross rib roast but was not sure about it!

I love eye of round! they is good

Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marck View Post
Have any of you smoked a boneless rump roast? Is that cut suitable for BBQ? I have a 4 pounder and I'm thinking about doing it on the kettle. Thoughts? Suggestions?
I don't do a low and slow smoke, more of a smokey roasting of the rump roast cooking indirect with wood and charcoal at temps of 325-350. Pull the roast when the middle hits 130F.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grill, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I don't do a low and slow smoke, more of a smokey roasting of the rump roast cooking indirect with wood and charcoal at temps of 325-350. Pull the roast when the middle hits 130F.
+1

I'd go to around that 130 mark also. No way I'd cook a roast like this to 155...but I like pink, not brown.

Same goes for eye of round.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #6
Ron_L

Another vote for 130 internal and then rest before slicing. It's too lean to cook any more than that.

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
JD08
Full Fledged Farker

I'd try tossing it back on a hot grill to get a nice crust on the outside, kind of like a rib roast.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #8
Marck

So I'm thinking that since I won't be able to monitor temps much, and recipes say 350 for two to two and a half hours, I'll put the roast on the kettle, indirect heat, with a grate temp of about 425 and then leave it pretty much alone so the temp will dip to the 300's and take it off around the 2 hour mark. Starting it higher should give it some crust.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
Ron_L

I wouldn't blindly go two hours. You'll probably end up with well done (unless you like well done). Do you have a meat thermometer? A remote one would be easiest, but even one of these...

Amazon.com: Polder Original Cooking All-In-One Timer/Thermometer: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411r%2BC5LwOL.@@AMEPARAM@@411r%2BC5LwOL

would be good. That way you can monitor the internal temp and take it off when it hits the right temp.

*** BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic is scheduled! Saturday, August 19th! Spread the word!!!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

I've been using that exact thermometer for 3 months now, it's always been accurate to within +/- 1 or 2 degrees. I know this because I check it every time I sterilize it in boiling water. Well worth the money.

I would certainly want a good thermo any time I'm cooking a large hunk of roast like that. Be a shame to ruin it. And the probe fits through any exhaust vent, so you can monitor IT while downing a few barley pops!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Marck

I only recently broke down and got a new thermometer for the grate :=) I do have a meat thermometer, come to think of it. I've been avoiding it but my reasoning probably isn't sound - I figure if I poke a big hole in the meat with a thermometer, all the juice will leak out. Not true? Probably not since so many of you use them...

Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

I wait till I think the meat is getting close to target temp before putting the probe in. I've gotten pretty good at it, and usually am within 5 degrees of the finishing temp when I probe. Several times, I was right at target when probed, and had to hustle to get the meat off :)

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is online now   Reply With Quote