The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
YokeUp
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS thighs...to char or not

rookie here again, been practicing my chicken thighs and thinking about whether or not to Char the skin side or never put it skin side down... Any KCBS judges out there that can lend some advice to this quandry??
http://www.yokeup.net/XXLBaskets.html
YokeUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

First off, could you please be more specific about what you mean by charring? Do you mean getting the skin pretty brown? Or charring the skin with close exposure to the coals? How lightly burnt would these be? Now here's a case where a picture would in fact help a lot.

Otherwise, I would think that it depends on the judge. Charring of the skin is not against the rules. If you think your product will present better with charred skin, then you may want to try it.

Most judges would think that any kind of burnt sample would score a little lower because they would have no way of telling if you intended to 'char' it or not.

I hope this helps . . . or at least gets the discussion underway.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
YokeUp

Default Let me clarify... "marking" the skin

What I'm interested in is if there is presentation value in the eyes of the KCBS judges if you "mark" the skin... expose it for a very short time over direct coals to sear in the grill lines.... otherwise, I would leave them skin up the entire cooking process....

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ View Post
First off, could you please be more specific about what you mean by charring? Do you mean getting the skin pretty brown? Or charring the skin with close exposure to the coals? How lightly burnt would these be? Now here's a case where a picture would in fact help a lot.

Otherwise, I would think that it depends on the judge. Charring of the skin is not against the rules. If you think your product will present better with charred skin, then you may want to try it.

Most judges would think that any kind of burnt sample would score a little lower because they would have no way of telling if you intended to 'char' it or not.

I hope this helps . . . or at least gets the discussion underway.

Unread 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokeUp View Post
What I'm interested in is if there is presentation value in the eyes of the KCBS judges if you "mark" the skin... expose it for a very short time over direct coals to sear in the grill lines.... otherwise, I would leave them skin up the entire cooking process....
Ah - OK - grill marks.

I think that most judges think grill or grate marks are attractive. But don't over do it so that you wind up with bitter tasting burn marks - lighter but visible will probably do better.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I think what you are looking for is the Maillard Reaction. That's where meat gets its color and enhanced flavor.
Beware though.. there is a fine line between browned and burnt.

Unread 04-21-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Be careful here. Other than the meat marking rules and the rules for types of greenery, KCBS has no appearance standards (on purpose). Thus "trends" develop based on what has done well in prior competitions -- word really gets around. Uniformity of size, color and shape is the predominant trend currently.

Grill marks (I think that's what you're talking about) can be very attractive but they are hard to "standardize" across six pieces. Good judges will evaluate the overall look of your presentation as well as any attributes of the individual pieces. In the last few years I've noticed the "grilled" effect getting less common and the cookie cutter sameness effect becoming more common. Neither is right or wrong. When I cook, though, I always worry about the judges who have trouble scoring something "different".

I judge mainly in the southeast and trends might differ by region.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
YokeUp

That was very helpful, thank you very much... I will digest this and adjust accordingly. God bless ya

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
Be careful here. Other than the meat marking rules and the rules for types of greenery, KCBS has no appearance standards (on purpose). Thus "trends" develop based on what has done well in prior competitions -- word really gets around. Uniformity of size, color and shape is the predominant trend currently.

Grill marks (I think that's what you're talking about) can be very attractive but they are hard to "standardize" across six pieces. Good judges will evaluate the overall look of your presentation as well as any attributes of the individual pieces. In the last few years I've noticed the "grilled" effect getting less common and the cookie cutter sameness effect becoming more common. Neither is right or wrong. When I cook, though, I always worry about the judges who have trouble scoring something "different".

I judge mainly in the southeast and trends might differ by region.

Unread 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

I used to put grill marks on my chicken with a charcoal chimney with a great on top. After I put the grill marks on I would cook as normal. We always got great scores for presentation. I don't do this anymore because we have a similar method now that does just as good.

It did make killer grills marks - almost looked like some drew them on with a sharpie. Here is a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chicken Flames at NLR.jpg (82.8 KB, 129 views)
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Where is your beer Wayne...?
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokeUp View Post
I guess if the judge thinks it makes the appearance look better hard to tell them what they like...I kind of look at it in the same way as a smoke ring...But when you said Char, that to me is a distinctive flavor profile and very rarely do I taste that here in CA. I think it enhances the flavor of chicken. But if you are merely talking aesthetics, I would have to reserve judgment for when it is in front of me.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #11
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

In Clearlake last year I got a comment card that they scored me down because of grill marks. Go figure...

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Personally, I like the flavor of "grilled" chicken better.

The problems that can come up are:
Burnning rather than browning
Tougher skin
If you "thin" (scrape) the skin it has a tendancy to stick and tear

While I'm not discounting the apperance score, it is still only 1/7th of the total. The biggest factor is alway going to be taste.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

True dat, Jeff! Only thing is in my limited comp experience 3 years+ I have never seen bad appearance score with great taste, texture and tenderness scores. Folks eat with their eyes first, YMMV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
Personally, I like the flavor of "grilled" chicken better.

The problems that can come up are:
Burnning rather than browning
Tougher skin
If you "thin" (scrape) the skin it has a tendancy to stick and tear

While I'm not discounting the apperance score, it is still only 1/7th of the total. The biggest factor is alway going to be taste.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314