THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5-0 BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
This past weekend at Pork in the Park in Salisbury, MD I had the chance to cook on the New Maverick Competition Smoker Model CS-55-73. My teammate Darren Keller is the Operations Manager for Maverick and he brought along a demo unit. :thumb:

I cooked on it for a while and I was impressed. I have the unit at the store and I will be doing some more tests for the next few weeks.

The unit is expected be on the market in June. Here are some pics of the smoker and some info from Maverick.

• Complete Set includes grill and remote thermometer transmitter/receiver
• Large capacity “55 gallon” size for BBQ competitions or backyard parties
• 2 - 21” diameter grill racks can hold multiple chickens, butts, racks of ribs
• 16.75” dia x 4” high charcoal tray can hold up to 15 lbs of charcoal
• Super large water tray can hold up to 4 gallons of water. Should never need refilling
• Large 15” x 10” door allows easy access to charcoal, water tray and bottom grill rack
• Bottom ring vent opens or closes 4 vent holes at one time with the slide of 1 handle.
• Bottom vent holes are proper diameter to take BBQ Guru fan. (Just plug the other 3 vents.)
• Assembled size 45” tall x 23” diameter.
• Monitor your meat and your smoker temperature remotely with Model ET-73 Remote Smoker Thermometer Set (included).
• Model # CS-55-73 Competition Smoker with Remote Smoker Thermometer Set MSRP $419.99
• Model # CS-55 Competition Smoker only (no remote thermometer) MSRP $359.99

216915_10150282622459569_677744568_9292953_6543775_n.jpg

217611_10150275165408504_762698503_9596414_1830918_n.jpg

216833_10150278821813504_762698503_9629754_7841271_n.jpg

215695_125970637477669_111579368916796_193903_4152094_n.jpg

Bilingual advertising, available in Canada? Only one rack? Looks interesting, why no dome lid? I can't find anything on their website about it.

Bilingual advertising, available in Canada? Only one rack? Looks interesting, why no dome lid?
I believe it will be in Canada I can find out where and when. Also I took this from the description up top. "2 - 21” diameter grill racks can hold multiple chickens, butts, racks of ribs"

I see that it does have 2 racks, I still can't find anything on their website, maybe you have a prototype? Brainfart, I guess I should read your post completely before firing off questions.:doh:

I see that it does have 2 racks, I still can't find anything on their website, maybe you have a prototype? Brainfart, I guess I should read your post completely before firing off questions.:doh:
The unit is expected be on the market in June. I have one of three test models before they were approved for production.

Ya the one problem with this is that anyone can build a uds that will work just as well and they can do it for $125 or less.

Ya the one problem with this is that anyone can build a uds that will work just as well and they can do it for $125 or less.

Apparently "anyone" can't build a UDS. For us fortunate ones that can, it will probably not be an option. But when someone asks "where can I get one of those", You can direct them to a Maverick CS-55.

Apparently "anyone" can't build a UDS. For us fortunate ones that can, it will probably not be an option. But when someone asks "where can I get one of those", You can direct them to a Maverick CS-55.
Great answer! I did ask, they plan to have them sold in Canada. As soon as I hear who will carry them I will let you know.

Not everyone wants a beat up drum in their back yard, this looks to be a nice option for those who would like something similar though.

Great pics!

I have a couple construction questions:

1) What guage metal, and what coating/painting is used inside/outside on the body of the drum?

2) The charcoal plate and base looks like is uses a tab-lock system for the drum to "lock on" - are there handles on the drum itself to lift off / set on without having hands directly in-contact with the drum?

3) Does the lid fit work the same way, with a tab-lock, or is it just a sit-on-top?

4) Any airflow / leakage issues with the recessed door fit "as is"? Being close to the firebox, I always worry about hinge shifting and warpage with those types of designs.

Thanks for sharing!

Back