ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

You're cooking for the judges. They will kill you almost every time with wings. Next time cook the wings for yourself and turn the thighs in to the judges. You'll not regret it.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Breathe BBQ View Post
Heard that one judge commented in regards to wings that were turned in "this team must be new b/c they turned in wings". IMO chicken should be judged on taste, texture and presentation without bias because it's not a thigh.
You are correct sir, at least within the KCBS. Someone shorted you based on personal bias. If I ever get that way I'll turn in my badge.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #18
nthole
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammoore View Post
They may be awesome wings.....but it's hard to stack up against a thigh in the judges eyes. But if you figure it out, let me know. I'll jump on the anti-thigh campaign bandwagon.
I'm sorry, did you stack up against a thigh. Darn, I could have sworn the KCBS judging rules specifically state that you aren't to judge a piece of meat against anything else, just on the entry itself. I must be crazy .

I can't actually disagree, it just drives me nuts. Judges who are SUPPOSED to know that they should just be judging that entry compare it to another entry. We can't stop it and yet it's completely wrong.

For the record, we've been turning in wings and we are hit and miss with them. As to the comments that you can't get bite through skin on a wing, you're wrong. We get it everytime no problem, you're just not using the right method for that piece of meat.

It was great to meet you this weekend!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #19
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Apparently this is a legitimate problem. I may try to put together a letter to KCBS addressing the issue of bias, and hit all of the major forums to get as many people as I can to attach their name to it.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Yep. A judge is to completely forget everything they saw or tasted before they bite into the next sample. Each one is unique and not to be compared to another. Easier on paper than in practice? Not if you remind yourself as often as necessary, I'd think.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I learned my lesson by turning in skinless thighs. I got a call, then none same process too. You should go with skin on thighs, if you want consistent results.

YMMV!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Apparently this is a legitimate problem. I may try to put together a letter to KCBS addressing the issue of bias, and hit all of the major forums to get as many people as I can to attach their name to it.
it might be more successful to remove the possibility of bias.

have the chicken category include only thighs.

especially when you hear of comments made by a judge sweet breathe referenced. how could you prevent that predisposition?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 10:57 PM   #23
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
You're cooking for the judges. They will kill you almost every time with wings. Next time cook the wings for yourself and turn the thighs in to the judges. You'll not regret it.
That's funny you say that because Rich asked Tommy, our late nephew, at the American Royal, if the wings he had on the weber was his entry. He said, "No, this is our lunch." And Rich said, "No, that is your entry!" He took 7th place at the Royal!

Unread 04-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #24
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
That's funny you say that because Rich asked Tommy, our late nephew, at the American Royal, if the wings he had on the weber was his entry. He said, "No, this is our lunch." And Rich said, "No, that is your entry!" He took 7th place at the Royal!
Team name was Tom & Josh Orgasmic Slabs!

Unread 04-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #25
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

If you're serious about competition cooking, ditch the wings. There is a very good reason why thighs are the most popular: Easy to cook to proper taste/texture and get good skin.

If you're just competing for fun, keep trying. As a judge I don't care what chunk of bird you do and would judge any piece fairly. But as a cook I can't recommend wings (too inconsistent)
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #26
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
I'm sorry, did you stack up against a thigh. Darn, I could have sworn the KCBS judging rules specifically state that you aren't to judge a piece of meat against anything else, just on the entry itself. I must be crazy .

I can't actually disagree, it just drives me nuts. Judges who are SUPPOSED to know that they should just be judging that entry compare it to another entry. We can't stop it and yet it's completely wrong.

For the record, we've been turning in wings and we are hit and miss with them. As to the comments that you can't get bite through skin on a wing, you're wrong. We get it everytime no problem, you're just not using the right method for that piece of meat.

It was great to meet you this weekend!
I hear ya....we all know how it is supposed to work and I do believe that most judges are doing it right. Unfortunately even if three of your 5 judges (judges that count) are doing it right, you're still screwed.

I did the wing thing....and I was hit and miss also. More miss than hit in my case. I've entered three wing contests and 7th has been my lowest finish. Wings as my chicken entry in a KCBS contest, I'm ashamed to even admit how low I can score. Just leaves you scratching your head.
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #27
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammoore View Post
I hear ya....we all know how it is supposed to work and I do believe that most judges are doing it right. Unfortunately even if three of your 5 judges (judges that count) are doing it right, you're still screwed.

I did the wing thing....and I was hit and miss also. More miss than hit in my case. I've entered three wing contests and 7th has been my lowest finish. Wings as my chicken entry in a KCBS contest, I'm ashamed to even admit how low I can score. Just leaves you scratching your head.
Well, I over-stated the bite-through skin. You're right, and some of it can be *ok*. What if you get 5 or 6 judges who really dont care for skin; bite through or not? Think of it this way: A thigh has what, 5 to 1 meat to skin ratio, if not more? Wing has what: perhaps a 1 to 2 meat to skin ratio, or worse. Remember, it's a meat contest, not a skin contest. I'm one judge who happens to really hate skin. It's *ok* to me on a thigh if really REALLY thin and bite through, it's hardly noticed. But on a wing; its going to be extremely tough to mimic fried (and that was what I was trying to say earlier).

However, dont think there's a preference to thighs. It's not. Just most judges prefer to be judging meat; the more meat (vs. skin) the better, to a degree. The reason thighs tend to score better than breasts is because of tenderness, and to some degree taste because a breast can get bland and dry easily.

If you want to be judged consistently well, go with thighs. Hub is dead on!
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #28
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

^^^^

put that way, i can live with it pretty easy.

i suppose the amount of skin is what makes the wing taste better in my mind, but you're right, it is a meat contest.

Unread 04-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
Sweet Breathe BBQ
On the road to being a farker

It may be thick headed and perhaps over time I will change my opinion (especially if scores remain consistently middle of the road, though my higher scorers are still outweighing my lowerscores) but at this point I still respectfully disagree.

I look at it as an overall experience, that combination of the skin, meat, rub, sauce, injection, whatever it is that comprises that one bite. If it was just a meat competition then why bother with presentation. Or getting the flavor profile correct, for that matter. We all know its a sauce competition. LOL

All I ask is to be judged without bias, as if the judges were blindfolded and didn't have any idea as to what piece of the bird they were eating. I do think it may make a difference. After that if my chicken sucks then I deserve DAL.
Sweet Breathe BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Breathe BBQ View Post
It may be thick headed and perhaps over time I will change my opinion (especially if scores remain consistently middle of the road, though my higher scorers are still outweighing my lowerscores) but at this point I still respectfully disagree.

I look at it as an overall experience, that combination of the skin, meat, rub, sauce, injection, whatever it is that comprises that one bite. If it was just a meat competition then why bother with presentation. Or getting the flavor profile correct, for that matter. We all know its a sauce competition. LOL

All I ask is to be judged without bias, as if the judges were blindfolded and didn't have any idea as to what piece of the bird they were eating. I do think it may make a difference. After that if my chicken sucks then I deserve DAL.
agreed, but thats to US. to the JUDGES the overall experience is better with a thigh.

at least that is what i have gleaned from this thread.