MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Default Alabama Hills "mustard" chicken and ribs

Below is a submission I put together for the current Mustard Throwdown, but have included a few bonus pictures here.

I awoke from my winter’s hibernation to find myself once again back in the Alabama Hills in sort of Southern California (I’m not making that up, it’s where a lot of westerns have been filmed). Rubbing my eyes, I decided to fire up the computer and see what the Brethren were Throwing Down about this week. To my delight, Mustard was the topic du jour. I love mustard. But then I panicked, remembering that mustard was the one thing I forgot to buy on my last shopping trip. What to do? But then I realized that in my sauce cupboard (actually it is a whole filing cabinet drawer), I remembered I had some good ol’ Carolina style mustard BBQ sauce driven all the way from South Carolina.
I had a rack of spares just begging to go on the spit. So I started them out with Rib-o-Lator’s Grill Mor rub, with the plan of basting w my mustard sauce later in the cook.

I felt like in such impressive surrounding it would be sad to just have a rack of ribs all on its lonesome, and I had a chicken that needed cooking so then it was a question of how to cook the chicken. Then I remembered that I had some mustard seeds in the depths of my spice cabinet, so I went to work making a paste combining them, cumin, garlic powder w parsley, onion powder, onion salt and grated almonds with melted butter and a bit of sun-dried tomato bruchetta.

A lemon in the cavity per usual and then off to the rod she went.

I started basting the ribs with the mustard sauce right around here:

My attempt to plate them together just didn’t have the same effect:

For what is worth the chicken came out with a real crispy skin and tender meat while the ribs sung of mustardy goodness.

Thanks for looking!

--Jonny Rotisserie

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

the alabama hills strike again!

Dynamite lookin ribs & chicken Jonny! Wish I was there to share...

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-17-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Love the picture story.

Sticky Fingers, them boys are local! 4.5 miles to my store.
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
JasonBB
Knows what a fatty is.

good lookin eats!!! Is that the auspit ??????????
JasonBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking eats..Did you save some for me?

Old 04-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Great pics!! Good lookin' grub! Very well done, indeed!
[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B]Humphrey's Pint[/B][/FONT][/FONT], [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial]Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=black]BLACK[/COLOR][/B] thermapen...and a [B][COLOR=yellow]YELLOW[/COLOR][/B] one too!! [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Arial][I][B]Everything I cook is judged by SIX!![/B][/I][/FONT][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][B]Daddy and Me BBQ[/B] Competition Cooking Team[/FONT][/I]
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy_Shuford View Post
Sticky Fingers, them boys are local! 4.5 miles to my store.
Hey Sammy, great to see a fellow South Cackallackian on here! Dem Sticky Fingers boys make some good sauce. They make for a nice success story with the success of their chain. Maurices Bessinger's had always been a taste of home to me but you can't really find it in stores any more, so I decided to give the Sticky boys stuff a try and I have to say it is a fine replacement.

It is a shame that so much of America misses out on Carolina mustard sauce. Using it (especially on pulled pork) puts a smile on my face every time.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBB View Post
good lookin eats!!! Is that the auspit ??????????
Hey, thanks!

Yes indeed that is the Auspit doing the heavy lifting there. It is hard to imagine a better place to put it to work.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksegers View Post
Great looking eats..Did you save some for me?
Rick I wish you could have joined me. In fact I wish all the Brethren could have joined me. It is such a marvelous location that my pictures can't do it justice. And I had it all to myself along with way too much food and booze for one guy to put away. It would have been better to share as I felt I was having too much enjoyment for just one person.

Maybe I should send out an invite ahead of time the next time I head up there...?

--Jonny Rotisserie

Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #11
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Wow, that is just so cool...you really know how to cook outdoors!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

looks great Johnnie, the auspit looks like it was having a good time to.
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.

B-O-B 206-999-0962 [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]
[URL="http://www.ribolator.com/"]http://www.ribolator.com[/URL] [URL]http://www.bungeeclips.com[/URL]
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #13
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I love it!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
jestridge

Now that the way to cook
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #15
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I thought I was done buying cookers after my recent offset purchase (Meadowcreek SQ36 with 2nd tier grate and charcoal pan)....now you have to go and post something so awesome, so amazing, so mind blowing THAT I HAVE TO BUY ONE...thanks a lot Johnny!!!

Nice post brother, awesome setting. What this place is all about.

Tags
Alabama Hills, Auspit, chicken, mustard, ribs