The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I've not played with the SNG's, but have you found this link yet?
http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

He's modified that exact version. Lots of folks have found some great info there. That's the first one I found as well.

I don't think you can have too many holes in the firepan, but you just have to make sure you can still close them off for control. In the link above, he's added a damper sort of like mine over all the holes he has in the pan.
Yeah, that's the guy I used for directions on the mods. I don't have a damper for my holes...I've got 3 in the bottom in a triangluar sort of shape, and a bunch around the outside. I can probably make a damper for the bottom holes, but it will be tricky for the side ones...I'll try to take a photo and upload tomorrow...I know I'm a retard, but without the damper will it just be too hot for slow'n low?
TWQQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWQQ View Post
Yeah, that's the guy I used for directions on the mods. I don't have a damper for my holes...I've got 3 in the bottom in a triangluar sort of shape, and a bunch around the outside. I can probably make a damper for the bottom holes, but it will be tricky for the side ones...I'll try to take a photo and upload tomorrow...I know I'm a retard, but without the damper will it just be too hot for slow'n low?
Hard to say. The holes without the damper may be just enough. You'll just have to try it out. You'll just not be able to shut it all down and shut off air completely to "turn it off" very well is the only bad thing.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I got this idea from from another poster on this site.
Here's what I'm I'm working on right now using an old, rusted out 22" kettle. I've been happy with the essential ECB mods so far but wanted a little more cooking area. The kettle will not be attached permanently. It will sit on high temp seal/gasket which will be attached on the lip of the smoker body.
I will also make a 12" or so diameter cutout at the bottom of the kettle as well.
This arrangement will give me 22" of cooking space on top and 18" below.

Unread 06-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
bigfootinindiana
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
THAT is farkin awesome! Sure looks better than mine!

If you don't mind, put up some details on your mods! You got pics? That's what this thread is all about!!!
Thanks! I spent the better half of this afternoon trying to find the site where I got the idea for the legs with no luck. I'll try to find my drawings if anyone is interested.
1308972013235.jpg
The legs were built from 1 1/2" aluminum sq. stock bent in my vice with the help from a big "persuader". I also built all new custom handles as the ones that came stock were too close to the heat for my fat hands.
1308972176144.jpg
I think I used 1'" aluminum square stock for the frames and 1 1/4" dowel cut in half for the handles. I upgraded every fastener to S.S. Mounted a weber charcoal grate 1" from bottom of charcoal pan with bolts as seems to be a standard mod. For the hood vents I called Weber for replacement vents(lower) on a 18" WSM, bored 3 separate 3/4" holes for each vent and attached the weber vents with s.s. acorn nuts. The WSM vents perfectly match the curve of the ECB hood.
1308971900510.jpg
For the bottom I did the same as the hood, but I put 3 vents similar to a WSM but since the bottom was flat I used vents from the weber go anywhere grill. I also added a real thermo and added a second grate as many others have. One note about the stock thermo, the nut on the back can be turned to change position of needle to read however you like, ie mine reads right in the middle of ideal at 225.

Last edited by bigfootinindiana; 06-24-2011 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: edited because i trashed the pic placement
bigfootinindiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

I was lazy and just wrapped some sheetmetal around the bottom and added a vent. No more air control issues after that. Not a Brinkman though, this is a Meco.

Unread 06-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #21
mbshop
Babbling Farker

this might be more applicable to yer ecb.
http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

Unread 06-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #22
TWQQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
That guy is a genius.

Unread 06-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #23
bigfootinindiana
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
That's the site I was looking for. Got my design for the legs from there. Looks like he still updates the page, wonder if he's a brethren.
bigfootinindiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
stubshaft
Full Fledged Farker

Excellent post. Now I want to get my old Brinkman from my FIL just so I can mod it.

Unread 01-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I modded mine off of daytripper's blog. I did eventually add a uds style fire basket that made it ROCK! If you are a tinkerer, gourmets, or the new Lowe's knock off make great little smokers. Very efficient when done right.

It loves running at 250-300

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)

Last edited by El Ropo; 01-08-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: added pic
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #26
mikeforch
Found some matches.

Default ECB Mods - Questions...

For some reason I can't see the pictures from your original post. Is there a way that you could possibly send them to me? Also, I did some mods on my ECB over the weekend but have yet to cook on it. I added the stove rope and it looks like it'll seal in the heat a lot better. Question: does your lid fully close, or does it just sit on the rope now? Also, I was looking to add a silicon grommet on the side so that I can slide a digital thermometer in without crimping the cable on the lid. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put the grommet? Also, if anyone needs one or two, I have a lot left.

Thanks for the help!
mikeforch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
rg02
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeforch View Post
For some reason I can't see the pictures from your original post. Is there a way that you could possibly send them to me? Also, I did some mods on my ECB over the weekend but have yet to cook on it. I added the stove rope and it looks like it'll seal in the heat a lot better. Question: does your lid fully close, or does it just sit on the rope now? Also, I was looking to add a silicon grommet on the side so that I can slide a digital thermometer in without crimping the cable on the lid. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to put the grommet? Also, if anyone needs one or two, I have a lot left.

Thanks for the help!
here is a link to my mods on the brinkman gourmet. i based mine off of daytriprs blog as well. pics here as well.
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23257

As for the lid, mine fully sets down and the fire rope is tight to the gap between the smoker body and lid. when you mark where you mount your fire rope, you want to do it with the lid tight on the smoker. then mark where the gap is and rough the paint around the lid and mount the fire rope with a couple sheet metal screws to hold it in place and then go back with Red RTV Silicon and seal the rope to the lid.

As for the grommet----i would recommend mounting it on the side just below the top grate---this will allow you to feed the temp probe to both cooking grates.

Unread 08-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeforch View Post

Thanks for the help!

MY original photos? That's odd.....they're photobucket pics so you should be able to see them. PM me and I can try another way perhaps.

My lid does close. It sits on top of the rope, but there's still a portion of the lid that sticks below the rope and fits inside the barrel too. I don't use a grommet. I have the holes in my lid so I can just put a probe down through them if needed, but I don't usually fart with thermos much anymore, even on the drum. For me, it's more about feel than temp.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #29
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Here's a link to the best ECB mods for the Gourmet model http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
mr dirts bbq
Full Fledged Farker

sandford and son called they want their cooker back! lol j/k good work dude
charbroil offset, custom trailer pit, 46" vermont castings gasser, 18" kettle, big poppa smokers engineered drum kit smoker than was never picked up = NEW TOY! and last but not least: a never ending 20' comp trailer project
mr dirts bbq is offline   Reply With Quote