The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I take my rib trimmings, clean them up real carefully, and coarse grind them for breakfast sausage. A bit of sage, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and ACCENT (msg). Pretty Tasty!

Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
rolfejr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #17
BobBrisket

Anybody smokin up some ribs this weekend? How are the practice cooks going?

Bob
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #18
smokemaster1
Full Fledged Farker

I think this is a good addition to this thread.

How to cut St Louis Style Spares (Tutorial)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98483

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

THAT ^^^^ is an awesome tutorial. Great addition.

I'll throw in on what I know.....

I've tried both WITH and WITHOUT mustard slather and in my opinion, it's not necessary. I get my rub to stick just fine without the mustard. Some folks swear by it and that's cool and all, I just don't bother wasting the mustard anymore.

I like to cook my ribs on my UDS. When I really need to load it up, I use two side-by-side rib racks (buy at Lowe's) and I can get 6 racks on each of my cook racks. I like to go every other space so there's plenty of room for the smoke and heat to move around the racks.

I also like to cook my ribs a little hotter than the typical "low n slow". I usually go for about 275-300 for about 4 hours and NO FOIL. That's just me. Do what you like. I just don't bother with foil anymore.

Here's a pic of when I had 12 racks of baby's on.....

For me, they're done when the meat pulls back from the bone and they pass the "bend test". That means when you pick the rack up with a set of tongs and let 1/2 the rack bend down and it JUST starts to break under it's own weight......THEY PASS!

When I finish them, I like to glaze them with sauce and let them cook for about 10 minutes. Best farkin ribs I ever made right here....

Mmmmmmm.......ribs.......
These were spares:

I've only done beef ribs once. They were darn good.....but as of right now....I like pork ribs better.

I did my beef ribs with EVOO, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. The rack I got wasn't the best and didn't have a lot of meat on it. I was told to get CHUCK RIBS instead of what I did get, which was beef back ribs.
Here's a thread I posted when I did mine and got a lot of great info and suggestions:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...mpus+beef+ribs
Here's a shot of a beef ribs.....

GREAT THREAD BOB!!!!!
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have using an idea I read about a while ago, sugars when caramelized form a blanket that do not allow anything else to penetrate, so I have been doing my ribs, butts, brisket directly into the smoker without any rubs and getting a good smoke into the meat and then about the three hour mark for ribs and a little more for butts and brisket I pull the meat and soak with apple juice and my favorite rub and than let it go until until, I don't know but it seams I get a better smoke flavor and a better defined rub flavor. Just my 2 pennies
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Great input everyone. Wampus............DOOOOODE!!! Those racks looks amazing! That last pic is just begging to get BIT! AND HIT! DAYYUUUMM!!

Bob
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!

Git Smokin, Dan!

Unread 04-16-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
I have using an idea I read about a while ago, sugars when caramelized form a blanket that do not allow anything else to penetrate, so I have been doing my ribs, butts, brisket directly into the smoker without any rubs and getting a good smoke into the meat and then about the three hour mark for ribs and a little more for butts and brisket I pull the meat and soak with apple juice and my favorite rub and than let it go until until, I don't know but it seams I get a better smoke flavor and a better defined rub flavor. Just my 2 pennies
Makes a good deal of sense to me. I can see how the early carmelization of the sugars could create that barrier. Looking forward to more input on this idea.

Bob

Git Smokin, Dan!

Unread 04-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #23
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
What tips do you have to get the spices to form somewhat of a bark before the meat is tender?

Unread 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
That does make a whole lot of sense... I guess how you address this problem depends on what you're looking for in your final results. If you're after a very distinct smoke flavor, I would do what you are doing.

I shoot for a well balanced flavor profile, so I think I might leave the brown sugar out of the rub for my next batch and go with a sweeter sauce instead of my usual.

That's the beauty of BBQ- you get to cook it the way YOU like it!!!

Unread 04-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
Wampus

Quote:

VERY interesting point. From what I've read and understand, I agree that sugar carmelizes and would form a sort of barrier. I also have read, though that meat gets most of the smoke penetration within the first 1/4-1/3 of the cook. (I think Paul Kirk says this in his book?....can't rememer). If THAT is true....then by the time the sugars in the rub carmelize to the point that they form that layer, the meat's already gotten most of the smoke it'll get.

Plus....I think it also may depend on the AMOUNT of sugars in a rub and the AMOUNT of rub that one applies to the ribs.

Not at all trying to debate your point, just adding my take on it.

As with all things BBQ.....if it works for you....do what you do!
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #26
che22879
is one Smokin' Farker

My contribution

Beef

Spares

Unread 04-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I don't know... I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it depends a LOT on the temperature that you normally cook at.

Sugar doesn't officially carmelize under 320 degrees. Now, that may be picking nits and whether the sugar is carmelized or not may not have anything to do with whether there's a "smoke-resistant" coating created by it, but from a purely technical perspective (as far as my knowledge goes anyway) there are probably other things going on.

Still, I think I'll have to try that method and see what it renders.

Thanks Aquablue.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #28
fire-in-the-hole
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakPit View Post
Cool thread!

I'm a ribs on the flat - unwrapped style cooker. I usually use a BGE but have cooked a lot on live fire as well. I season with a Garlic/Salt/Pepper on the bone side and then something more interesting on the meat side. Of course I trim to a hard St. Louis line and remove both the membrane and soft bones on the end.

I do spritz with apple juice and some other sweet & savory ingredients several times during the cook.

I typically don't sauce backyard ribs, but absolutely do for contests.

Here ya go...

These the most beatiful ribs I've ever seen wow
fire-in-the-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #29
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

some beef and pork. beef ingredients too.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 11-21-2011 at 08:03 AM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #30
Boshizzle

I just put 3 racks of spares on this morning and thought that I would make a contribution to this thread. I like to rub ribs about 30 to 60 minutes before I put them in the smoker and let them sit on the counter uncovered. This gives them time to sweat and marinate in the rub. Here is a pic of what I mean. I like to make sure the rub is good and wet from the moisture of the ribs being circulated by the salt in the rub before they go in the cooker.

Also, if you notice in the pic, I don't rub the edges of my ribs. I have found that I don't miss it and I also use less rub.

[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]

Last edited by Boshizzle; 05-08-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote