The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
qposner
Full Fledged Farker

Default Charcoal recommendation for PBC with PartyQ?

I've added a PartyQ to my PBC and am wondering about trying other charcoal brands aside from Kingsford original. However, I really don't have any experience with them. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Quinn
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
SteveKing
is one Smokin' Farker

You just asked a very controversial question.

Use what you like. I can tell you that some pits like different charcoals better. So, for example, my UDS does not run well on lump. It works very well with briquettes, and recently I found it does exceptionally well with Kingfords Comp. Next I will try stubbs and see if it does any better... though looking at the graph it pumped out on my heatermeter the Kingford Comp made my UDS look like it performed like a Kamado
---open source! support those who share openly & freely!

I build HeaterMeters too!

KCBS Member
Member of "THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"
*22.5 Performer* *Bandera* *22.5 WSM* *UDS* *Akorn* *Blackstone Patio Oven* *Blackstone Griddle*
SteveKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #3
qposner
Full Fledged Farker

Ha! I'm sure I did! I would like to stick with briquettes.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I prefer a hardwood briquette like Stubbs or Royal Oak Chef Select. I think the flavor is better and there is less ash.

2018 Chicago Area Mid-Winter Lunch!!!

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
Stlsportster
is Blowin Smoke!

I've been using Stubbs after the latest Lowes sale when I picked up a few bags. Runs fine in the PBC but I can't speak to the use with a PartyQ.

Please consider a subscription!

Brisket is sacred, don't **** with brisket!

On a foggy day with stick burners in front of businesses and at houses burping Mesquite, Pecan, and Oak- the thin blue laying hazily near the ground- outstanding. - 16Adams
Stlsportster is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
agensop
On the road to being a farker

i try to use only kingsford professional in my pbc...

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
J.W.Land
Knows what a fatty is.

I have used lump, Stubbs briquetts, and Kingsford pro and my UDS seems to prefer the Stubbs

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Bacchus2b
Full Fledged Farker

I really like Stubbs in my PBC. I did a brisket today and my original basket of briquettes is still burning after eight hours. Kingsford original has a distinct taste that I personally don't care for. I want my BBQ to taste like meat, not chemicals.

Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
qposner
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
I really like Stubbs in my PBC. I did a brisket today and my original basket of briquettes is still burning after eight hours. Kingsford original has a distinct taste that I personally don't care for. I want my BBQ to taste like meat, not chemicals.
I was thinking the same about KO. Bought a bag of Stubbs and will try it tonight.