The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
patkline9999
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Any KCBS judges ... would you judge my turn in boxes

Going to FIRST comp next week and been practicing! Here are this weekends Pork and Chicken turn in boxes. I would appreciate any judges gimme a score on these.
First we have the Butt.
I only cooked one butt so I had to choose from what I had available.

here's the chicken

Many thanks for any and all comments and suggestions.
patkline9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

i'm seeing some green on some of the pork and that is a turn-off. some of the pork looks dry. a little sauce may help the appearance.

tighten up the garnish on the chicken (and pork for that matter). i like my chicken with a little more "red" in the color, but it doesn't look too bad as far as color is concerned.
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Your chicken looks pretty good. Trim them a little more consistently would be my only recommendation. The pork needs some work. Funky colored meat needs to be dealt with. Also as a judge I would look at this box as having two types of turn in and it doesn't look like there are six samples of both types. Could just be the picture. Chicken a 7 and pork a generous 6. keith

Unread 04-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Not a judge, but that one piece of pork might still have some of the membrane that separates the muscles attached. I think that shiny silverskin combined with the camera flash might be causing it to pick up the green color from the parsley.

I can't help thinking that if the meat was green in person, that our brother would notice.

That may also be the cause of the brown color on the chicken. Red + Green = Brown. I might be totally wrong just a thought.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Chick - Some odd bumps on three pcs. Trim better. Add greens to back half of bow to match front. Good color overall. Solid 8
Pork - Same problem with greens. Barked pcs look good but I would make two halves, barked and pulled. All that chunk on the left could be pulled into a smaller shreds to get rid of the ungainly look of just big 'ol odd sized pcs. As it is, low 7, shredded pry solid 8.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Pork- low 7. Even out the bark pieces more, all are on the right side. Silver skin on the upper left piece, is that a fatty piece bottom middle?

Chicken - 8. Looks pretty good, maybe could be a little more uniform, looks a little dark but could be the picture.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I can't help thinking that if the meat was green in person, that our brother would notice.

That may also be the cause of the brown color on the chicken. Red + Green = Brown. I might be totally wrong just a thought.
Good point
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
PORQY
Knows what a fatty is.

Chix - 7, maybe an 8; I like to see more red and evenness of color...and evenness of pieces selected (regarding physical shape). Some entries are *perfect* and they get the 9s for it.

Pork - 6: The bark is *black*, there's green on it, one piece looks brown (like the skin of a chicken), and (not that it matters because it's a meat contest, but I thought you should know) that your garnish is messy and too spacious.
Ceramic Kamado.com #7 | KCBS judge | On two BBQ teams
PORQY is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-10-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

You're doing well for your first comp. Chicken looks good, pork looks a little dry - fill up that box.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

I'd probably be nice and give your pork a 6. The color is off and the pieces are odd. Try pulling smaller (more like a large "shred") and including bark as smaller bits (only if it has great flavor, of course). You can improve color (and flavor if you are careful) by fine-grinding good rub and sprinkling very lightly after the pork is in the box.

I'd give your chicken a 7. Trim needs a bit more uniformity and the color could improve. Chain restaurant research has revealed that moving toward red improves sales and acceptance and judges aren't immune to this. Sheen (usually done with a little oil in the sauce) will also help appearance.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Chicken, 8 but low. I'm not a uniformity hound like some. The color is a bit browner than I'd expect. Could be the pic/flash. Also I thought the amount of "shine" was nice and more natural than the oiled finish (I guess Hub and I disagree).

Pork, 6. The bark is overly-dark. The pieces are fairly large, but I wouldn't shred them. About 1/2 that size (larger holds moisture better). Pieces about the size of your thumb (give or take) tend to do better. More pork in the box (darn near fill it).
You've accented the bark in the pic by putting much of it bark-side up. Most judges want/like bark, but I wouldn't emphasize it. All dark up ends up looking burned. On its side with a little bark showing is preferable.

Unread 04-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
The Virginian
On the road to being a farker

Chicken has great color. I little more consistent trimming and you are good to go. I give it an 8.
Pork: I actually think you are likely to see a lot of 5s on something like this. Due to grey membrane, dry look to other pieces, and an overall lack of meat, just a lot of room for improvement here. Carefully peel the membrane off the pieces that have it. If you can't get it off, don't use it. Some sauce, and more meat, more meat. THink about some pulled in there as a bed for the chunks.

Brett
The Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
LongTong
Full Fledged Farker

Default 7 or 8 and a 9

Nice Boxes...
As a CBJ, I'd like to see the pork have a little more gloss and uniformity. As it stands, it's a 7 or 8.

The chicken I'd score 9. Very nice job!

Unread 04-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #14
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I think that shiny silverskin combined with the camera flash might be causing it to pick up the green color from the parsley.

Pork 7. I to think some has to do with picture, but above comment is corrent. I like a nice chunk rather then the "cat food" pulled. I have a much better chance of judging texture with a nice chunk...So as you can see by different comments, CBJ's are different.

Chicken 8. Good looking box.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

If the color is accurate then the pork gets a 4, maybe a 3 - greenish meat isn't appealing and I'd hesitate to put that in my mouth. If the color is off I'd go a 5, box looks tossed together, the pulled meat looks dry and the bark looks black.

Chicken is an 8. Trim a little better and even up the greens for a 9.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote