THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bandit

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Bob
After a few weeks (on and off) restoring the Lang's firebox... it breathes again.
(The link of that process is here... link).

Hmmmm... like my previous Lang offset, opened all the intakes to increase the temp to 300* while I painted on some real fresh bacon grease (from last night's BLT's). Once at 300, close down 3 of the 4 wheels and reduce the fourth to 1/2 open... anticipating the temp to drop.

Waited... and waited... stayed at 300 for more than I liked.... didn't drop at all.... as if there's a nearby air leak. I looked all over for a visible opening. Don't know who did it before I got it... found it on the bottom plate of the firebox... there was a 1/2" hole in the corner (out of sight).

Dang... got out a 1/2" stainless bolt, lockwasher, nut with two fender washers to close off that opening which fueled the fire... once tightened down... the smoker dropped below 200*... as hoped.

Here is the Damsel II... back in black!
Started with this...
picture.php

picture.php

Ended up with...
picture.php

picture.php

The bolt mod... was behind the face of the door opening... lower left corner.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
The Lang looks great.

I need to clean up the fire box on my Lang 60.
Did you strip the rust, paint then grease or just strip the rust and grease?

Stripped the rust off.. eventually grew impatient with the rust dissolving... wound up using a wire wheel and a 80 grit flap disk on a grinder.

Once down to unexposed paint/bare metal... prepped the steel with acetone.

Once dried... 8 light coats of hi-temp paint (Rustoleum 1200* - for grills).

After the paint had several days to cure untouched, several coats of bacon grease as the steel was heated through.

Last edited:
Nice job, Bandit! I love to see a smoker get a good home with someone who takes good care of it.

Nice work, really turned out great.

Bob I also have one that I have covered with a pc of flat stianless that I have in the corner and I guess it lets water out but not a lot of air in.............but then i also prop open my door alot with the latch alot to....

Back