The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 04-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #16
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgerickson View Post
Guys - I think you hijacked my link. I am fine with all the information but ideally was looking for a recommendation on frig. But please keep going I enjoy learning about the craft.

Mark
Well a recommendation for a fridge will do nothing to help you. You want a fridge to correctly cool bbq meats. There is no such refrigerator for that duty...not if you want to do it correct and safely. Sorry.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #17
theflints01
Knows what a fatty is.

There actually is an electric appliance for this, it's called a blast chiller:

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restauran...Product_270084

Good luck in finding a used one though, look for restaurant liquidations maybe
theflints01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #18
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

Blast chillers are the best way to properly cool. For sure. Expensive, but the proper tool for the job.

They use air convection to cool rapidly. If you could figure out to get some fans inside a freezer, you could use some of the same benefits of the blast freezer.

Redneck ingenuity.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #19
markgerickson
Knows what a fatty is.

Ya I know about the blast freezers but if i am trouble finding a deal on a used refrigerator - I may never find that deal on a blast freezer but its on my shopping list.
markgerickson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #20
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Did you look for a used equipment dealer, as I recommended? Literally every town or at least state has one. It is a good business to run. They snatch up all of the CL sales and restaurant liquidations, clean them up and mark them up. They are still a good deal, even after the markup.

In terms of cooling food, bbq is no different than any other meat that anyone in the world works with. I know we like to think that bbq is magical, and it is, but it is just meat.

Most places don't use a blast chiller, although they are very cool...and expensive. Cool it down as ServSafe recommends and put it in a fridge. NSF fridge will do, if you are legit. Any fridge will do, if not.

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]12'x30" Dual Axle Smoker Trailer[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]KCBS Member #61221[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote