拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
SmokinGuitarPlayer
Full Fledged Farker

Default Ribs turn in box looking or critic ..thanks .

We're getting ready for the competition season and we're thinking of cooking spares this year ...always did babybacks before ... here is box from today's practice session. Perhaps I can get some comments as to the look of the meat and the box in total. All criticism and comments appreciated...thanks in advance.

SmokinGuitarPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

I would sure look forward to tasting these.

Basically I like what I see here.

Suggestions:
Sauce, rub, glaze looks uneven to me . It does detract from appearance.

Arrangement of ribs in the box looks kind of awkward. I wonder if partially overlapping double rows of ribs might work better. Either horizontal or vertical? It looks like they are low in the box, so there may be room to do this without smearing the lid of the box when you close it.

Of course we can only evaluate appearance with a picture.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
SmokinGuitarPlayer
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks ...they were not low in the box ...they were THICK and I was afraid they were gonna hit the lid ... I squashed the garnish as best I could...no way I could put 2 layers .. I even had a couple of more good looking ribs to put in for the table captain etc. but no where to put them ...

that being said ...does SIZE of the "servings" matter? In other words, I could have sliced them "tighter" with less meat and gotten more "servings" in the box ... which is better? (extra "servings" or bigger pieces)

the "blotchy" glaze ... I think that is the meat / fat under the glaze ..is that what you are talking about? the different colored areas?

Can anybody tell me how to avoid this ....the meat on top of the ribs just sort of split. They were not overdone ..actually they were friggin perfect I WISH I could nail them at a comp like I did today ...

anyway ..any more comments / critiques appreciated.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

The new judge sez:

I don't like the different colors and that yellow just looks unappetizing...

Sorry to be blunt, and your mileage may vary!

Arlin

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
SmokinGuitarPlayer
Full Fledged Farker

I do not mind "blunt" ...thanks for the good comments..
FB

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Funny, I thought the color and glaze were perfect.

I agree that the arrangement looks a little awkward, but the very full box almost makes up for it.

Did you STL trim the spares or are they full bone and tip? If they're full, I'd trim 'em down. That would allow you to do two over-lapping layers of three or four.

Appearance-wise, I'd score it a really strong 8 - maybe a 9 depending on what else I'd seen.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
SmokinGuitarPlayer
Full Fledged Farker

They were trimmed to St. Louis cut. They were not overly long ...very average I think ... perhaps my practice boxes are too small ..... anyone have inside dimensions of the box ..say on the bottom or at the edge?
FB/SGP

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
HawgNationBBQ
Take a breath!

They look great and would love to taste them. So if I had to find something out of place, I would say:
  • To me the ribs look jammed in the box. I would go three and three or four and two.
  • It looks like you have a hanger on the front rib.
-- Backwoods Competitor
-- Ugly Drum Smoker
-- XL BGE

HAWG Nation on Twitter: @HawgNationBBQ

www.TheBestMeatRub.com
HawgNationBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
AZScott
Take a breath!

Typically it's a 9x9 box.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Ill throw my 2cents in....

The fat really takes my eyes off the meat, try triming that heavy layer down next time. It could also be the yellow color thats doing it, could be the picture as well, I dont know what sauce or glaze your using but it does little to tone it down.

I know this shouldnt matter(but it does), think of your garnish as a picture frame for your meat, try to arange it so there's an even border of garnish around the meat

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Bluntly speaking...

Color is unappealing. Reminds me of curried ribs. The "tiger" pattern on some of the ribs is also not going to score you points. It looks like some of those ribs have "shiners" (exposed bone in the middle). Those will be the last ribs picked from the box. Find others if you can even if you can't get them from the same rack. I'd give them a 7 in presentation.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Too much exposed fat on the 3 left ribs, makes the ribs look uneven in appearance. The one in front seems to be shorter and wider than the others.

Meatier ribs are probably better than more ribs, but you have to make them look alike.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Smokenstein & monster crew
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kev View Post
Bluntly speaking...

Color is unappealing. Reminds me of curried ribs. The "tiger" pattern on some of the ribs is also not going to score you points. It looks like some of those ribs have "shiners" (exposed bone in the middle). Those will be the last ribs picked from the box. Find others if you can even if you can't get them from the same rack. I'd give them a 7 in presentation.
I have to agree with the captain above me here, Need some work...They should be more uniformed in appearence, size, garnish is to enhance
If you have your taste down, then the hard parts over...Bring in the rest of the package & you got something, if your taste is not your masterpiece, well ... try & try again, good luck...we all need it
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]My smoker will eat your WSM for breakfast :becky:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Custom 55 gallon drum(s) smoker that chews wood spits out the embers. (no set it & forget it BBQ stuff for me)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Smokenstein & monster crew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
SmokinGuitarPlayer
Full Fledged Farker

thanks everybody ... great comments ...

Old 04-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
rxcellentq
On the road to being a farker

does everybody display the tops? does anyone try to angle the ribs so you can see the profile (smoke ring etc)
rxcellentq is offline   Reply With Quote