The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #31
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBelly
My Polder and Nu Temp have magnets so I just stick it right ot the side of the cooking chamber, all the way up top and on the opposite side of the firebox.
Really? The Chamber's not too hot for the plastic case? Figured it might damage the back of it.

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-26-2005, 06:47 PM   #32
Heath
Full Fledged Farker

I have a piece of pressure treated 4 x 4 left over from a yard job that I set on top in front of the flue and i stand the thermo's on it.
Party Crew
Bandera(Highly modified), Hasty Bake, Weber Gold, Unmodified SS hot water tank, an old wood burning fireplace insert, 2 buckets, and a hole in the ground. HeHe
Old 01-27-2005, 07:41 AM   #33
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

I was just going to say the exact same thing, almost. Just set your thermo on top of a chunk o wood on top of the cooking chamber.

I never cook over 230 so the cooking chambers surface never gets that hot.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
Old 01-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #34
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

OK, that seems more feasible. Even at 230*, I would think it would eventually damage the electronics or the case. Is it more accurate than the cheapo oven thermo's? I see alot of variance in the ones I get from Wally World. I actually found a "Mercury" oven thermo in stainless at the LNT clearance table - need to test it first, though.

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #35
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsasmokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
Quote:
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark.
If you got the NB brand, you're one lucky dog. I've had two that read from 20-35 degrees off - sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They do what they want to do. Lucky for my move, it's now more reliable than ever. Completely farking busted - least it's a consistent reading now - zero.
What I normally do is to dangle my probe down through the exhaust, making sure to wrap the extra wire around the exhaust tip once so it does not slip. Depending on how much meat I am cooking and what kind determines where I place my probe. If doing only ribs, pork butt or brisket then I make sure the meat is farther away from the bottom and firebox side with the probe dangling dead center of the cooker. If cooking chicken or turkey I tend to have those toward the bottom of the cooking chamber and closer to the firebox. At that point my probe would be hanging a little lower then usual.

Bill, I do have the NB - and they both passed the 212* water test (+ or - 5*) How long that'll last.......who knows? Don't know if David Klose's gauges are any better or not, maybe someone who has one can comment.

Belly, I know that's how KC like to do his (he dangles his probe, too - hee, hee!) Where do you rest your thermo or transmitter? The cable on mine doesn't seem long enough to be able to rest it on a table or something nearby. (No Way, was I gonna say my probes not long enough! LMAO!)
Guys, you need to PM Spice and get one of his door thermometers. It is calabratable, and works wonderful. I got tired of my NB door thermometer reading 50* to 75* off. I stopped by the shop, picked up one of Jay's themometers, calibrated it, build a fire and checked it at shelf level even with the thermometer. It was within 2*

I'm thinking of drilling another hole further down the door, closer to the waterpan, and installing another one.

BTW, this is an unpaid advertisement, but it truly is a good thermometer.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Old 01-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #36
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Guys, you need to PM Spice and get one of his door thermometers. It is calabratable, and works wonderful. I got tired of my NB door thermometer reading 50* to 75* off. I stopped by the shop, picked up one of Jay's themometers, calibrated it, build a fire and checked it at shelf level even with the thermometer. It was within 2*

I'm thinking of drilling another hole further down the door, closer to the waterpan, and installing another one.

Alright, Kick! Thanx! I'm talking with Jay right now - never knew about those! I did exactly what you're wanting to do, with my NB's.

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Closed Thread