oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 06:23 PM   #16
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Wellcome G-Money!!! Just junp in...........and hang on! Weren't you in New Jack City? :D Loved that movie!!!

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #17
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for the welcome everyone .....I think. Just an update, I have yet to season the Bandera, because I figured I opught to wait and get a thermometer or two first. Also have a question about the contrversial wet wood chips, but i will head over to Qtalk for that.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #18
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Step away from the farking wet wood chips!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

ya dont need a thermometer to season. Just coat the whole thing down with oil(peanut or canola).. or its ok to use Pam. Fire it up, alternate between high heat.. 350-450 or better and heavy smoke. run the firebox damper full open, then choke them down to generate some smoke, then open them up again. 4-6 hours is best. Door thermometer is fine for that door. Just push it past 350 and higher and it will be fine for seasoning. REad the section on seasoning in Bandera 101. Some cold wood on a hot fire will also get the smoke ya want. Remember for seasoningm, you WANT to break the rules and generate a little heavier whiter smoke than you would normally cook with.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
Old 01-25-2005, 03:15 PM   #20
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

'New' ones do not even come with door therm .... just a silver button ........
Old 01-25-2005, 04:38 PM   #21
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
G - you are welcome here, trust me! That button is an electrical knock-out closure. Go to the nearest Home Depot, and find what used to be, a New Braunfels temp guage - it Charbroil now, since they bought them out. The face is about 3 1/2 " round and they sell for $20.00. It's not a Klose gauge, but it will do the trick. Pop the K.O.C. out and install the gauge. I've installed 2 on the door of my Bandera (High and Low - but above the baffle). Also helps to buy oven thermometers to hang on the racks in different areas to get a good reading on your cooking chamber.

Have you done the modifications yet? Baffle and Fire grate are essential. Deja Vu of KC and TK! (oops)

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM   #22
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
Thats what I got, and its worthless placement anyway.

Great to see you thousand dollar.

And wood chips, wet or dry, are gone in a poof.

chunks or logs in the Dera

glad you found us

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Old 01-25-2005, 08:16 PM   #23
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
G - you are welcome here, trust me! That button is an electrical knock-out closure. Go to the nearest Home Depot, and find what used to be, a New Braunfels temp guage - it Charbroil now, since they bought them out. The face is about 3 1/2 " round and they sell for $20.00. It's not a Klose gauge, but it will do the trick. Pop the K.O.C. out and install the gauge. I've installed 2 on the door of my Bandera (High and Low - but above the baffle). Also helps to buy oven thermometers to hang on the racks in different areas to get a good reading on your cooking chamber.

Have you done the modifications yet? Baffle and Fire grate are essential. Deja Vu of KC and TK! (oops)
Mr. sasmokin, Yeah I know you have to get the therm after market ... my point was I had not done that yet ... and they do not come with the new Banderas although i guess thye used to? and I wanted to at least get that calibrated to my probe thermometer and hanging oven thermometer on the cooler parts of my seasoning burn, as I fooled with the dampers and all.

And, as if you were reading my mind, I have also not seasoned her up because I have not built a new fire box grate yet, although I do have the expanded steel around and some sheet for the baffle.

Quote:
And wood chips, wet or dry, are gone in a poof.

chunks or logs in the Dera

glad you found us
Bill....I am glad I found you too, and understand the popular opinion and science surrounding the negativity expressed toward wet chips. My only counter to this is: my fabled brother in law (Don't we all have one or two?) turns out great brisket and butt in his bandera...and he uses wet chips. For the record....he has made no modifications to the Bandera, mops with an old sock, uses his Daddy's old recipe, and was bread on BBQ in Texas. Just worth noting, thar may be more than one way to skin a cat.

And I think I will find out what most of those ways are if I spend more time here among you all.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:59 PM   #24
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$

Bill....I am glad I found you too, and understand the popular opinion and science surrounding the negativity expressed toward wet chips. My only counter to this is: my fabled brother in law (Don't we all have one or two?) turns out great brisket and butt in his bandera...and he uses wet chips. For the record....he has made no modifications to the Bandera, mops with an old sock, uses his Daddy's old recipe, and was bread on BBQ in Texas. Just worth noting, thar may be more than one way to skin a cat.

And I think I will find out what most of those ways are if I spend more time here among you all.
G
I am no preaching. There are so many here that are turning out competition brisket, that I cannot even compare my Q too.

As for the brother in law, mine is from Texas, and he was shocked I knoew my **** and turned out good Q.

Let taste be the judge

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Old 01-26-2005, 03:44 AM   #25
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
Thats what I got, and its worthless placement anyway.
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark. I use them more as a "quick read" for temperature spikes. Plus, when I've got 4 to 6 pieces of meat in the 'Dera, I don't need another probe to worry about. That's why I hang the oven gauges and adjust accordingly when I open the chamber to spray or mop.

G$'s right, there's more than one way - and that's waht this Forum's all about.........sharing ideas.

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #26
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark.
If you got the NB brand, you're one lucky dog. I've had two that read from 20-35 degrees off - sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They do what they want to do. Lucky for my move, it's now more reliable than ever. Completely farking busted - least it's a consistent reading now - zero.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #27
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Hell, I never even bothered with placing a thermo in that hole. I just used the little silver plug and made sure to run a bead of high heat silicon (the same kind I used for the door gasket) to seal it on up.

What I normally do is to dangle my probe down through the exhaust, making sure to wrap the extra wire around the exhaust tip once so it does not slip. Depending on how much meat I am cooking and what kind determines where I place my probe. If doing only ribs, pork butt or brisket then I make sure the meat is farther away from the bottom and firebox side with the probe dangling dead center of the cooker. If cooking chicken or turkey I tend to have those toward the bottom of the cooking chamber and closer to the firebox. At that point my probe would be hanging a little lower then usual.

Hehe -- he said "my probe"! =)

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
Old 01-26-2005, 03:09 PM   #28
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Wait a minute, G$ - that doesn't mean G-money, does it? It means G-STRING! HEHEHE

<gets some more coffee>
Only a geek would get that.

Wait a minute...I got it...

Welcome G-Money! Tell Pookie I said wassup!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Old 01-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #29
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
Quote:
I don't know that I'd say "worthless", Bill. True, that you can get a truer reading with the probe and a potato trick. But I've found that my door gauges are not far off from the mark.
If you got the NB brand, you're one lucky dog. I've had two that read from 20-35 degrees off - sometimes higher, sometimes lower. They do what they want to do. Lucky for my move, it's now more reliable than ever. Completely farking busted - least it's a consistent reading now - zero.
What I normally do is to dangle my probe down through the exhaust, making sure to wrap the extra wire around the exhaust tip once so it does not slip. Depending on how much meat I am cooking and what kind determines where I place my probe. If doing only ribs, pork butt or brisket then I make sure the meat is farther away from the bottom and firebox side with the probe dangling dead center of the cooker. If cooking chicken or turkey I tend to have those toward the bottom of the cooking chamber and closer to the firebox. At that point my probe would be hanging a little lower then usual.

Bill, I do have the NB - and they both passed the 212* water test (+ or - 5*) How long that'll last.......who knows? Don't know if David Klose's gauges are any better or not, maybe someone who has one can comment.

Belly, I know that's how KC like to do his (he dangles his probe, too - hee, hee!) Where do you rest your thermo or transmitter? The cable on mine doesn't seem long enough to be able to rest it on a table or something nearby. (No Way, was I gonna say my probes not long enough! LMAO!)

Modified Bandera
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #30
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

My Polder and Nu Temp have magnets so I just stick it right ot the side of the cooking chamber, all the way up top and on the opposite side of the firebox.

I make sure my probe is not touching anything: no meat, no grates, no side walls so I get an accurate reading.

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
Closed Thread