oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:35 AM   #1
mnickcrna
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default New Member in Spain, from Texas

Hi everyone,
I am new to BBQing. I'm an avid griller and just never had a smoker nor the the time to learn. I'm in the Navy and completed a tour in Iraq with the Marines last year (medical support, I'm a nurse anesthetist) and now stationed in southern Spain. I grew up in Arkansas, but moved to West Texas (Dalhart, TX) in high school and graduated high school and college there before joining the Navy.
I recently bought a used a NB Bandera from another guy leaving Spain (his loss is my gain!) and look forward to learning to master the beast. No BBQ here in Spain so my friends are also eager for me to start producing some fine BBQ! Several folks had emailed me in response to a post I had put on the Yahoo group page and invited me here. The only real wood I have access to is Oak, no hickory or mesquite here. Our commissary on base does have brisquets, pork shoulders, etc. My first mission is to get the baffle modification done to the Bandera and move on from there. I think you all have a great website and I look forward to learning from the many years of experience here. Thanks.

Michael
Old 01-07-2005, 05:06 AM   #2
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome aboard, Micheal! Glad to see you ttok me up on my invitation. You'll find the Brothers here and the site very informative. Just dont be affraid to post any questions you may have, everyone here is more than willing to share their knowledge. Be sure to peruse the FAQ's and Files section, also check out Bandera 101 on the home page.

We all thank you for your service to this great Country of ours!

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
Old 01-07-2005, 06:46 AM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Michael, First things first, Thanks for your service to our Country. Welcome Brother!! With the help from the folks here you'll have people lining up just to smell what's in the 'dera.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 AM   #4
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome, Michael!

In Spain you can also get grape, olive, apple, peach, lemon and several other woods. You'll need to go into the country side and ask around when the farmes are triming the trees. I you do it right they will even load it for you. I never could, I would always have to wash the trctor. :)

Trout

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:55 AM   #5
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Indeed thank you and all the men and woman out serving our country and upholding the freedom we enjoy here and take for granted.

Welcome aboard brother!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
Old 01-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
jt
Babbling Farker

Welcome, Michael. As KC said, THANK YOU for your service! It's people like you who keep us free.

Oak is a great smoking wood. I use a lot of it and love the flavor. And it burns good - doesn't take much to keep the temps where you need them.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 12 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

Old 01-07-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
bittertruth
is one Smokin' Farker

Location: High Point, NC. Deep in the heart of the Cradle of Que!

Welcome, Michael. It's great to have another squid on board( a little navy lingo for ya). I am exNavy and spent a little time in Rota. is that where you are? If it is , i know you will also have alot of seafood available to smoke, along with local meats and sausages. Let us know what you like and what you don't.
"The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog." G. K. Chesterton

New Braunfels Bandera smoker
Weber Kettle
Old 01-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

More Navy talk...being I am a Navy brat!

Deck Ape! LOL

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
BrooklynQ
Banned

Welcome to the group. Thank you for your service.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:29 PM   #10
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome aboard!

American Picker Blog
Old 01-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
mnickcrna

Default Rota

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittertruth
Welcome, Michael. It's great to have another squid on board( a little navy lingo for ya). I am exNavy and spent a little time in Rota. is that where you are? If it is , i know you will also have alot of seafood available to smoke, along with local meats and sausages. Let us know what you like and what you don't.
Yes, I am stationed in Rota, Spain. Your right there is a lot of seafood here and I will be trying to smoke different things. I get most of my meats from the commisary. They have all the standard cuts, brisquets, boston butts, etc. I have not picked up the Spanish language well enough yet to go into the local butcher shops and ask for any special cuts of meat. I have bought some ribs and chorizo sausage which were good. I want to try smoking some lamb. Someone posted a reply saying to try out the Olive and grape woods. I will have to give it a try and see how it smokes.

Michael
Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Bellybro
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome Michael. And THANKS!

Do you have any good spanish rice recipes? One of our members is a rice phanatic and is always looking for great ways to fix the stuff!

Belly Brothers BBQ Team
2007, 2008 and 2010 Best BBQ Team in Boone County, MOFO Country.
Pull Behind Grill and Spicewine Smoker.
Weber Silver Kettle
Mega Margarita Machine
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #13
jt
Babbling Farker

We've got one that likes lamb, too! Right, Chad?

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 12 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never used olive, but have used grape. Not much BTU's, but a nice aroma and flavor. Definitely would need to have a good coal bed of briquettes or burning oak to add the grape to. Try to get some apple or peach if you can.
Check the recipe section of this board to make up an all purpose rub, or if available at the commisary, try to find some Head Country, which is a good, all purpose, over the counter, rub.
Better yet, I'll email you a bunch of rub recipes.

Welcome my new brother..........

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Old 01-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #15
mnickcrna

Thanks for the warm reception and emails. The only rice recipe I have is Paella. It is a traditional Spanish dish with rice and seafood. Food here in Spain is very bland. They don't use spices on hardly anything. I will try to see what other woods I can get here. I know I can get Olive, Grape and Oak. I found a place in town today that is going to make me a baffle and fire grate modification. I don't speak Spanish, but just showed them the pictures from the photo section here. I just need to get a good dual wireless thermometer and I can get started! It appears everyone recommends the Nu-temp and other less expensive ones like Maverick. I will have to shop around and see who will ship to FPO addresses. It is amazing how some businesses will not support the military stationed overseas by simply shipping to an FPO address. There are not any extra charges via USPS to ship here. Thanks again everone.
Closed Thread