The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Cattle Call !!!

Notices

Cattle Call !!! Introducing... The Brethren.. Put your Bios here, a mug shot, a picture of your toys..Tell us who u are. Threads will lock down after 7-10 days to avoid post pumps on old introductions. Please avoid responding after thread is over a week old. DO NOT PITCH ANY PRODUCTS IN THIS FORUM, OR TRY TO VEIL A PITCH AS AN INTRODUCTION. IF YOUR SELLING IT, DON'T MENTION IT.

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
brentpvaughn
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Greetings from Sioux Falls, SD

Hello ladies and gents. A friend of mind posted on here on my behalf about a week ago when I was trying to research a new ceramic smoker. I decided to jump in and register myself. I was looking at some off brand grill from Cabella's that had nearly the identical dimensions to a large BGE. The cool thing was that it was $499 on a pretty decent looking cart. The more intel I got, the more red flags went up. So as I went back to looking at better known ceramics. Every time I went in a store I explained to my wife, hey for just another $100-150 we could get such and such. My wife is great, so lucky me, one thing has led to another and I am about 48 hours away from pulling the trigger on a Primo Oval XL with a bunch of extras. They are closed tomorrow or I'd be there.... This will be a huge jump for me and I am pretty sure I will need some help and have some questions so I thought this would be a good place to start my journey. I have about a 15 year old Weber gas grill, the small 2 burner kind, that my parents got me for Christmas after I got out of college. Now after all this time I will go from that to the Primo. I could still change my mind at the last second and go with a large BGE because there is a place here that has a great deal on one but I think I want the Primo. I love the grill, but I really, really, love the dealer. OK, so I don't know if there is a rule about how long your first post can be but if there is, I'm sure I just violated it. Anyway, nice to meet all of you. Brent
Old 03-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Hey, Brent. I'm glad you found your way here. You'll love it!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome Brent

This is a great place. I grew up around the Aberdeen area (Onaka, Cresbard, Faulkton) myself. When I was growing up I couldn't wait to get away. Now I miss it and wish I could get back more. My wife says "You sure have a lot of sky out here".

I looked at the Primo myself but didn't have a dealer in the local area. I ended up going with a Big Green Egg and do love it.

Have fun and get ready to gain a couple pounds.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Old 03-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
artyusmc

hi from a newbie
Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
brentpvaughn

I should have re-read my post. So my first post here I said mind rather than mine and I messed up all over the place. I hate it when I get excited and type on the internet without paying attention. Sorry. I think the dealer thing is a pretty big deal. I have read a ton of forums and have seen some of the faceoffs between Primo and BGE owners and it reminds me of a Chevy/Ford debate and I am not real interested. I am sure I would love either one. I am drawn to the oval shape, but we have a hardware store here that sells them and the only information you get is, "yeah well the guys that have'em sure seem to like'em." The Primo dealer is a professional outdoor kitchen fire and patio store and they teach kamado cooking classes in the winter time so there is a world of difference. I still need to learn all the nuances. I don't even know how to trim my meat or what is the best wood for the given type of meat. I want to do low and slow but I also want to get good at seafood. There is no good place to get seafood in Sioux Falls (with all apologies to Red Lobster) and I want to do it right. Anyway, thanks for the comments. It can't be all bad living in Duluth... Oh and hello Newbie. Monty3777, I'll check out the links and keep you posted on the ceramic thing.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #6
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome to our crazy little club house! While I don't know much about ceramics, or anything else for that matter, I do go by the theory that you get what you pay for when it comes to smokers.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Welcome to the forum Brent.
I own a Lg BGE and burn lump charcoal with fist size pieces of cherry chunks.
Not to drive you away from here but there are some ceramic forums out there in www. land.
Any ?'s on the Primo ....post them in Q-Talk as there are some owners on this forum as well.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #8
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Welcome to the camp,
Brent.
Enjoy.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
frognot
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Welcome aboard Brent!

Texas Bash 11/11/17 (link)

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
Big George's BBQ

Welcome
Old 03-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Prairie Smoke
On the road to being a farker

Welcome to the forum Brent! IMO you have made a great choice with the Primo... That oval design on its own gives you more flexibility... and it's a pretty big grill too.
Memphis Pro, Yoder YS-640 comp cart
FEC-100, 120, 500
Southern Pride XLR-1400, SP-700 (2), SPK-500 (2)
Two 32' festival rigs
WSM x 4, UDS, Weber 22" OTG
You don't win friends with salad!
@prairie_smoke
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
bluetang

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #13
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome from the Hoosier state. Sounds like your off to a good start.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Wampus

Welcome from Indiana!!!!!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #15
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Glad you could join us.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
Closed Thread