The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
vadermanion
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Advice on a new cooker

I've been using a Brinkmann Smoke N Pit for a couple years and am ready to step up my game. I want a cabinet smoker and have decided I want a Backwoods Smoker. I've narrowed down my choices (mostly because of budget) to the Chubby, G2 Chubby and the Party. The Chubby is at the bottom of the list since it is smaller and I want to have the option to put more meat on there for that occasion when I need it. I like the added depth on the G2 but wonder if I shouldn't go to the Party for the added capacity.

Any words of wisdom?
vadermanion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

when in doubt always go bigger!
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
poppa smoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Buy the largest that your wallet and common sense will allow. You will never regret going too big but too small will come back and bite you!
poppa smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
vadermanion

I was thinking go bigger, but I didn't know if the extra depth on the G2 and the other next gen features outweighed the extra size of the Party.

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

When I was looking to buy my first REAL pit (my first pit was a little cheapo Brinkmann I got from a yardsale for $25), I came here and everyone told me to go the size bigger than I thought I needed for now. I stuck to my guns (mostly because I had just bought my wifes engagement ring the week before I ordered it) and got the 36, but wish I would have gone with the 48.

Always go a step above what you think you need.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

Check out my all things food (and movies) blog One Nine 3 Blog or at my Facebook Page

If you're a fellow Carolina Brethren come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
MossyMO
Full Fledged Farker

If your interested in a Backwoods style I would also check out Humphrey Pits - http://www.mainemachining.com/store/...t=HumphreyPits

These really caught my attention, seems with their Battle Box you pay just a few dollars more but get quite a bit more smoker than the Chubby.
MossyMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

bigger is best... as much as you can afford.. once folks get a taste of some real bbq.. they will never stop wanting you to cook for them trust!
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
jmellor
Full Fledged Farker

Check out smokinit's page under purple pork masters in the vendor section. He has a side by side pic of the g2 chubby next to the battlebox. I hope to own a battlebox someday...

I just bought a used Party and love the space in it. Having more shelf space is a nice feature. But I did learn that it just gives you more opportunities to open the door which is a no no around here!

Either way, sounds like you have a nice new toy on the way soon....

"Yeah, all those things, responsibility, pressure. It`s a bit stressful. I try and come to terms with it by not thinking about it." - Joe Strummer
jmellor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
NickyG
On the road to being a farker

Seeing as you are in St. Louis MO, call Ron Kaup at the St. Louis BBQ store. He sells both the G2 Chubbies and the Humphreys and is very helpful and open to any questions. We currently cook on a Backwoods Gater and are adding to our arsenal. We plan on purchasing a G2 Chubby or the Humphreys but are leaning towards the G2 since we are familiar with the backwoods line and love them.

Unread 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
vadermanion

I actually went and talked to Ron and he was very knowledgeable. I didn't think he carried the Humphreys though, I'll have to follow up. I was impressed with his knowledge on the Backwoods line and with the design of the Backwoods smokers.

Unread 05-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
GrillsGoneWild
Full Fledged Farker

If you are looking for a cabinet smoker and want the biggest for the $$$, check out the Backyard Bomber MJH. http://www.backyardbombersbbq.com/MJH_Bomber.php

Unread 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

Ron is great to work with, I bought my Chubby from him in June 2010 and he I'm sure that if I had a question for him, he'd quickly email me back with the answer. I mostly cook for the wife and some family members, so the Chubby is enough for me, but still sometimes I wish I got the Party.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Ron has some Humphry's coming in soon if there is something he cant answer for you give me a ring.
smokinit is offline   Reply With Quote