The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 12-31-10
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition Sponsorship Questions

Hello. I am a classically trained chef with a passion for the que. I own a BBQ catering company and am planning to dive into competition this season. I know my way around a smoker, although competition is new to me. I've taken some classes, read a thousand pages from the masters (multiple times) and believe I am ready to tackle my first season. I am as ready as anyone that started in competition...at least I think so...lol.

Last night, I secured a sponsor to pay all entry fees, expenses and product. In return, I give back all winnings and money earned from vending. The goal is to break even and\or make them some cash in the form of fundraising. I will have all of the help I can handle provided by the sponsor, so I can concentrate on the competition, while others can work on the vending. I am not looking to profit from competitions at this point. I want the experience and hopefully some glory to establish my catering company. This would be a long term relationship with the sponsor, assuming I can break even and/or raise the sponsor some funds, while getting their name out to the public.

My question is this.....How much money can I expect to earn in vending at a small to medium sized competition? Is it a reasonable assumption that I could break even with local contests (nothing far away)?

Thanks for any input. If you see pitfalls in my plan, please point them out.

Have a good one.
__________________
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Smokin' Hoosier BBQ Catering and Comp Team[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]12'x30" Dual Axle Smoker Trailer[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]KCBS Member #61221[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Dr_KY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-07
Location: England
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Chef View Post
Hello. I am a classically trained chef with a passion for the que. I own a BBQ catering company and am planning to dive into competition this season. I know my way around a smoker, although competition is new to me. I've taken some classes, read a thousand pages from the masters (multiple times) and believe I am ready to tackle my first season. I am as ready as anyone that started in competition...at least I think so...lol.

Last night, I secured a sponsor to pay all entry fees, expenses and product. In return, I give back all winnings and money earned from vending. The goal is to break even and\or make them some cash in the form of fundraising. I will have all of the help I can handle provided by the sponsor, so I can concentrate on the competition, while others can work on the vending. I am not looking to profit from competitions at this point. I want the experience and hopefully some glory to establish my catering company. This would be a long term relationship with the sponsor, assuming I can break even and/or raise the sponsor some funds, while getting their name out to the public.

My question is this.....How much money can I expect to earn in vending at a small to medium sized competition? Is it a reasonable assumption that I could break even with local contests (nothing far away)?

Thanks for any input. If you see pitfalls in my plan, please point them out.

Have a good one.
Vending at competitions isn't really done here so I can't comment on what you can expect to average but I am a little concerned with the sponsorship deal you cut. Let's say you have a superior year and end up at the Jack or Royal and winning the whole shooting match would be happy to hand over that check and all those before it to your sponsor? What business is your sponsor in?
Doc
__________________
www.drsweetsmoke.com

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!


UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*


British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 12-31-10
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Vending at competitions isn't really done here so I can't comment on what you can expect to average but I am a little concerned with the sponsorship deal you cut. Let's say you have a superior year and end up at the Jack or Royal and winning the whole shooting match would be happy to hand over that check and all those before it to your sponsor? What business is your sponsor in?
Doc
While I appreciate your faith in me, I am not expecting to take home Grand Champion at the Royal. Wait, let me dream about that for a second.......

This year is all about learning and the experience. There is no contract and the sponsor is a non-profit culinary organization that I am a member of. They are looking for some community exposure, while giving a few members the experience of competing. The sponsorship would take the pressure of expenses from me, so that I can concentrate on competing, while giving back to the organization.
__________________
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Smokin' Hoosier BBQ Catering and Comp Team[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]12'x30" Dual Axle Smoker Trailer[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]KCBS Member #61221[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker
 
KC_Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-07
Location: Gardner KS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Chef View Post
While I appreciate your faith in me, I am not expecting to take home Grand Champion at the Royal.
I don't think anyone does.

As far as vending profits vs. comp expenses ... profits should outweigh expenses. Are you planning on vending at each comp you will be sponsored at?
__________________
Boondoggle BBQ
Country Smokers 450
Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Dr_KY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-07
Location: England
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Chef View Post

This year is all about learning and the experience. There is no contract and the sponsor is a non-profit culinary organization that I am a member of. They are looking for some community exposure, while giving a few members the experience of competing. The sponsorship would take the pressure of expenses from me, so that I can concentrate on competing, while giving back to the organization.
Ahh now I see said the blind man. Sounds like it should work well for both of you.
__________________
www.drsweetsmoke.com

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!


UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*


British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

 
SirPorkaLot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Location: Antioch, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1
Default

Biggest issue i see with your plan is that competition & vending is two different animals.

Most comps we go to they don't allow the competing teams to vend (at least not from their cook site), and they don't allow vendors to compete (from their vending site)

  • Vendors require health dept. inspections, licensing, and ability to churn out a lot or product in a short time
  • Competition Teams: Don't have to have licenses or HD inspections (other than on-site meat inspection), and turn out very little product (but high quality).
There are some contests you can do both, but you have to be set up to do so.
__________________
Sir Porkalot aka John

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 10-16-08
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If you vend you will pay all your expense, what is the plus for involving a sponsor? If you vend and give him the money the you are sponsoring him. Or I must be missing something.

Giving the sponsor the profit of vending and the winnings sounds like a SWEET deal for the sponsor.
__________________
FEC 120, Lang 84, Custom Off Set
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 05-11-10
Location: Denver,Iowa
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Sounds like you are their workhorse.....
you could get some experience for just your effort...which is a big plus!!
A fair deal would be to give them the vending profits and you get any winnings ...or at least a portion of them
__________________
Justin- Lucky's Q bbq team
Lucky's Q and Catering
2 Stumps Stretch's
Stumps 3X5 offset with warmer
luckyduk is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!
 
jbrink01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-17-06
Location: Washington, Missouri
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

What is the KCBS rule on selling out of your contest pit? I am under the impression that it is verbotten!
__________________
[CENTER][B][/B] [/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker
 
TooSaucedToPork's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-23-09
Location: Buffalo NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
What is the KCBS rule on selling out of your contest pit? I am under the impression that it is verbotten!
It is...

Neil
__________________
"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem" http://www.toosaucedtopork.com
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Jeff Hughes's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-03-06
Location: tulsa oklahoma
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Most comps around here don't have vending opportunities.

Also, most comp sites won't pass health dept vending requirements...
__________________
Klose 72" Mobile
Medium BGE
HastyBake Legacy
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!
 
jbrink01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-17-06
Location: Washington, Missouri
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
Most comps around here don't have vending opportunities.

Also, most comp sites won't pass health dept vending requirements...
I'm toying with vending at a contest in St. Louis this fall, but if we do we'll take our vending pit / trailer and crew it whilst I contest cook out of my toyhauler.
__________________
[CENTER][B][/B] [/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker
 
KC_Bobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-07
Location: Gardner KS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Most comps we go to they don't allow the competing teams to vend (at least not from their cook site), and they don't allow vendors to compete (from their vending site)
Seems like around the Midwest it's the opposite. In order to vend, you must be a competition team and turn in at least one entry in order to vend again the following year.
__________________
Boondoggle BBQ
Country Smokers 450
Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

 
SirPorkaLot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Location: Antioch, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
Most comps around here don't have vending opportunities.

Also, most comp sites won't pass health dept vending requirements...
This is what I see too. If there is vending opportunities, it is on a different part of the site.

Of course, I'm not talking about people's choice events, or samples.
__________________
Sir Porkalot aka John

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

 
SirPorkaLot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Location: Antioch, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Seems like around the Midwest it's the opposite. In order to vend, you must be a competition team and turn in at least one entry in order to vend again the following year.
Interesting.
We seem to get a mixed bag in the southeast, but for the most part, you rarely see a team that is competing, vending at the same event.
__________________
Sir Porkalot aka John

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sponsorship questions brog315 Competition BBQ 7 12-19-2011 10:36 PM
Sponsorship Questions? bearnakedbbq Competition BBQ 4 01-20-2011 05:23 PM
Competition Questions patd7260 Competition BBQ 8 07-16-2010 12:32 PM
Competition Questions smokehunter Competition BBQ 10 03-07-2010 07:37 AM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts