MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Going for a Pizza on BGE. Any tutorial?

I thought maybe there was a classic thread somewhere or a video. I'll be starting with a pre-made dough that gets rolled out.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Follow this and you'll be in good shape. DON'T roll out the dough, though:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102712
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102712

Dough

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow Moose! Thank you!

Also thank you Pyle

Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

yeah.. Dont roll the dough, stretch it by hanging it over the top of your wrists and forearms and cycle thru it till its round.

a few rules I follow.

Let the pizza stone preheat for at least 30 minutes. i have found that the first pie is the worse, and the 3rd is the best unless i let the stone come up to temp.

I dont precook the sauce. Pizza sauce cooks on the pie.

Use coarse corn meal on the stone and teal instead of flower. It acts like little ball bearings and allows the dough to move around better. Also adds texture to the crust.

and most important, always send a slice to me.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Got it! Good set of rules BBQchef33

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

So far so good. I decided to make sauce from whole canned tomato.

Three cheeses. Pepperoni and onion. I need to figure out the photo account here so I can post pron.

All that ceramic really takes a long time to heat up!

Old 03-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Tim

What kind of lump are you using, and how much did you put in? You want to let it all get fully lit before you close the lid, or you might have trouble getting your temps up.

Also, I like your choice of just crushed tomatoes for sauce...I think that is a nice clean flavor.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
What kind of lump are you using, and how much did you put in? You want to let it all get fully lit before you close the lid, or you might have trouble getting your temps up.

Also, I like your choice of just crushed tomatoes for sauce...I think that is a nice clean flavor.
edit - I cook my pies at around 450-500, it gets pretty touch & go at really high temps I have found.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 03-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Aha. So I should leave the lid offand really let the fire roar before even closing the lid? Im such a newb

Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

And watch yourself lifting when the lid with high temps, make sure you "burp" it first.
SM BGE
Weber 26" & JJ
Blackstone 36" & 22"
Brick Santa Maria Pit

Old 03-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #12
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Got it. Ill keep a close eye on things.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Stone was likely close to 700 when I started. Other than the bit of char its a big hit.

Looking for the best cheese blend

Old 03-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i forgot to include that in my post.. I do the pizza at 550-600. i used to cook pizza at 700+, but i do thin crust pies, and either the bottom would burn or the dough would cook to fast and the cheese wouldnt be melted enough.

now i do it in 2 stages.. I add a light coating of sauce to the crust and par cook it for a few ninutes, then add the rest of the sauce and the cheese.

my sauce is real simple. Saute 2 cloves garlic in oil, then add a 2 cans of cento crushed tomatoes, half teaspoon salt, half teaspoon black pepper, heaping tablespoon oregano and 2 tablespoons of dried onion flakes. Let it sit for about an hour or 2 at room temp. Thats enough for 5 or 6 16 inch pies or 3 22 inch pies.

another tip.. use panko bread crumbs under the pie, and also sprinkle some on the edge of the crust before u cook it.

After it comes out and is still hot, drizzle high quality olive oil on top(some of the ones infused with basil, or rosemary are really good on pizza).

Slice ribbons of fresh basil right off the leaves with a scissors and let it sit on the hot pie. The heat releases the oils and the smell is awesome.

egg pizza :: pizza! slideshow by bbqchef33 - Photobucket

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm missing the cheese element here. I'm sure this is hotly debated, but are there favorite cheese blends? I used a soft mozzarella (almost fresh), provolone and some Pecarino (like a Parmesan). Didn't quite hit that gooey chew of cheese that I was looking for.