The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Judging Bad BBQ

I thought this article on MSNBC was interesting -

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...ore-judgmental

I never thought about how the quality of taste affects how I feel about something. But when I think about it, it's especially true when I get a sample that is WAY too spicy - it makes me mad because then it's difficult to taste the samples that follow it.

Anyway - food for thought -
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting! Our judgements really do overlap.

There's an old adage in BBQ contesting, "offend nobody". It means keep your spicing enough in the middle range to please a broad variety of palates. It's good advice.

I personally love HOT stuff and am not offended when I get the rare hot item as a judge, but I'd never prepare it as a competitor -- it won't win.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Interesting article.

But, this is one study. The sample was small. Results have not been duplicated by other studies.

So, while the premise makes for entertaining thought and discussion, don't take the preliminary findings as gospel. Don't read into the study more than is there.

Thank goodness the scoring sheets do not have a place to mark moral judgments!

If I take anything from this article, it would be the importance of keeping a clean palate between samples so the taste from one does not effect the score of the next one.

Oh, one other thing. I hear bitters and think of a brandy old fashioned. Humm ...

how long til cocktail hour??

Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've sat at a few judging tables where an entry had just a little (to me) spice on it but another judge was very vocal about it being "Way too hot!" Then again, I do like my spices .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #5
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Well, yeah - I like hot stuff too - but I don't go for habenero or ghost pepper hot - because if my taste buds are still reacting to extreme heat, I can't accurately taste the next sample.

The important (and interesting) thing to me about this was realizing that what I taste does affect how I feel.

I've known this about listening to music for a long time. (I'm a classically trained musician and know how music has an impact - sometimes on my whole day!)

When someone piles on WAY too much black pepper or garlic - or really, whatever - it's like there's a drummer in there playing WAY too loud! I want to hear the rest of the band, but because the drummer is overpowering the other players - never mind. I don't even want to listen to it.

But because I cannot taste anything beyond what ever is overly loud, I find myself getting frustrated or angry. Mostly it's just not fair to the other competitors.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote