MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Friday Butt - First Time w/Kingsford Competition (Pics)

Cooking a butt on Friday. Trying out Kingsford Comp as Costo had it on sale. With a coupon it was around $15 for 2 18lb bags. Figured I would give it a try. I've seen tons of discussion online about it with mixed reviews so I'm giving it a whirl.

I lit about 1/3 chimney and put it in my full unlit charcoal basket. Total I would say I have 2/3 of the bag in the offset with hickory and cherry wood chunks. I tried Stubbs last week and liked it a lot. It was the first time cooking in 60 degree weather so that was probably a big factor for maintaining temp a little easier than when it is in the 40's :). It was cool this morning in the 40's, but will hit 65ish today.

So far from lighting the Comp to just about 20mins into the smoke it has been great. It seems to light a little quicker thank regular BK and once I put dumped the chimney in the smoker got to 225 quicker than normal. I know these are supposed to burn hotter so maybe that is why. So once it hit 225 I put the meat on and closed the vent to only 25% open. I normally have it 50% open to maintain temp so maybe again since it burns hotter I can keep it more closed. At 25% closed it had been holding steady at 235 so we shall see how it does throughout the cook.

Let me know if you have experience cooking with Blue Kingsford, Kingsford Comp, and Stubbs. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (83.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (74.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (96.7 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (37.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (93.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (52.4 KB, 140 views)
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks great so far! I love the coffee mug I love family guy! Anyway I've cooked with k comp and it did seem to light faster but my go to is regular blue k due to price. It is always consistent and burns very even and the price is right for me. I am going to try some stubbs here pretty soon but price wise blue k will be my go to charcoal. Looking forward to the finished pics!

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

Nice looking forward to Pics as you progress
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
Looks great so far! I love the coffee mug I love family guy! Anyway I've cooked with k comp and it did seem to light faster but my go to is regular blue k due to price. It is always consistent and burns very even and the price is right for me. I am going to try some stubbs here pretty soon but price wise blue k will be my go to charcoal. Looking forward to the finished pics!
Family guy rocks :). Yeah I really haven't had any complaints about regular BK especially for the price. It works great. I had a few time where the smoker struggled to stay above 225, but it was cold and the COS isn't too thick. So now that it is warmer I'm going through the rotations to see what I like. Stubbs was buy 1 get 1 at Lowes last week so I go 4 bags. I normally wouldn't get it because it costs more.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
J3
Knows what a fatty is.

I am trying out K comp for the exact same reason (Costco Sale) I really like it a lot. Seems to light faster and burn well.
J3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
RAZORBACK JIM
Full Fledged Farker

Lookin good so far!!!

Jim
WEBER PERFORMER
WEBER SMOKEY JOE
SMOKINTEX PRO 1400 (2)
BBQ GURU
[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] THERAPEN[/COLOR]
PIT-MASTER IQ 110
RAZORBACK JIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #7
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Looks like you are off to a great start. Keep the info coming.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #8
Jason TQ

After almost 3hrs the Comp has been holding temp like a champ. Has fluctuated a little between 225-240, but never above or below. The vent is only about 15% open. My Q dog/gerbil has been keeping close watch. Not a scientific test by any means since cold outdoor temps has been a factor using regular BK and I'll be trying that again this weekend, but so far so good. I'd say ash seems pretty similar to BK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1107.jpg (76.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1108.jpg (82.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1109.jpg (75.1 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1110.jpg (53.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1111.jpg (41.5 KB, 100 views)

Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Looking good so far

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Jason TQ

Ok so after about 6.5 hrs there was only a little bit of K Comp left in the basket and temp dropped to about 205 so I fired up another chimney. I filled the chimney all the way to heat up. Once they were glowing I first put that last bit that was still in the bag into the basket first and then dumped in the lit. Temp camp back to 230ish within minutes. So we will see how this last dose of charcoal will last.

Butt temp after 6.5hrs (7.7lb) was at 155 and really haven't hit the wall yet. Sometime it happens later. I'll keep you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (87.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1113.jpg (88.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1114.jpg (89.7 KB, 65 views)