The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
rknotthere
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Smoking my first ribs tomorrow!

I have a nice rack of spare ribs that I am about to rub down and will be smoking tomorrow. I know to trim them and remove the membrane, I do not plan on trimming them to a St Lois trim, just enough to make for even cooking. Here is the rub that I have created, it is smokey, spicy and with a little sweetness:
1 TBS Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 Tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp chili powder
4 TBS brown sugar
2 Tsp Ground coffee
1/4 tsp ground worcestishire powder
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning
Dash Cayenne
2 Tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
1 Tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground mustard
My questions for this are:
1). I tasted the rub and it tastes good, would y'all make any changes or additions?
2). Do you recommend rubbing the ribs with mustard and then applying the rub or just the rub alone?
For the smoking I plan on using pecan wood with some mesquite and keeping the temp at about 200. Also I will need to leave for a little while during the process.

Here are my questions for the smoking:
1). Do you recommend starting with charcoal and then adding wood?
2). Because I will need to leave for about an hour and a half I am considering either removing the ribs during that time, or letting the temp drop while I am away and wrapping the ribs in foil while I am gone, would this be okay?
3). I am also considering pouring a bottle of Guinness in the drip pan while the ribs smoke, thoughts on this?
Thank you for your suggestions and help on this one guys! I look forward to your tips.

I do not need any advice on a sauce, or if there should be a sauce, I make our favorite already; it is thick, sweet, spicy,smoky and fully Texas!
rknotthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
J3
Knows what a fatty is.

I would vote for drinking the Guiness instead of adding to the drip pan. Sounds like a tasty rub!
J3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it the first keep it simple then add to ,the more you cook. Maybe salt/ pepper with a little garlic powder.
jestridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

What are you cooking in? On the offset I do 3-2-1, UDS 2.25-1.5-.5. Either way I start off with the wood smoldering. I have been told and seen on here many times that meat stops taking the smoke at a certain temperature. I don't do the mustard rub, just dry, but the concensous seems to be that the mustard flavor cooks away.

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

If you do the mustard, I'd recommend cutting back on or removing the salt from the rub. Also, I've never been a big fan of smoking with mesquite. Grilling sure, but not smoking. Too harsh for my tastes but then again I'm not from TX.

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknotthere View Post
I have a nice rack of spare ribs that I am about to rub down and will be smoking tomorrow. I know to trim them and remove the membrane, I do not plan on trimming them to a St Lois trim, just enough to make for even cooking. Here is the rub that I have created, it is smokey, spicy and with a little sweetness:
1 TBS Smoked Paprika
1 1/2 Tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp chipotle powder
1 tsp chili powder
4 TBS brown sugar
2 Tsp Ground coffee
1/4 tsp ground worcestishire powder
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Old Bay garlic and herb seasoning
Dash Cayenne
2 Tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
1 Tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground mustard

My questions for this are:
1). I tasted the rub and it tastes good, would y'all make any changes or additions?

2). Do you recommend rubbing the ribs with mustard and then applying the rub or just the rub alone?

For the smoking I plan on using pecan wood with some mesquite and keeping the temp at about 200. Also I will need to leave for a little while during the process.

Here are my questions for the smoking:
1). Do you recommend starting with charcoal and then adding wood?

2). Because I will need to leave for about an hour and a half I am considering either removing the ribs during that time, or letting the temp drop while I am away and wrapping the ribs in foil while I am gone, would this be okay?

3). I am also considering pouring a bottle of Guinness in the drip pan while the ribs smoke, thoughts on this?

Thank you for your suggestions and help on this one guys! I look forward to your tips.

I do not need any advice on a sauce, or if there should be a sauce, I make our favorite already; it is thick, sweet, spicy,smoky and fully Texas!

I'd try that rub - stay with it!

Why not slather half the rack with mustard and leave the other half plain? They're both going to be good, and that would provide a great way to decide if you need the yellow stuff or not.

I'm not sure which pit you're using but if you can set a path for your charcoal to burn (minion method) then set wood chunks in with your charcoal, that will help let you take off for a little while still providing smoke and heat.

Guinness? Nah, I'd use it to keep your throat wet. Try throwing some pork and beans in that drip pan and see how that turns out!

Good luck!

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

If you cook ribs at 200 deg--it will take "forever and a day" to get them done.

Many of us cook ribs at 250-275 ish. The lowest cook temp I have heard of that was successful was 225 and that took quite a while.

You do not say what you are smoking on and how much experience you have with it--especially on longer cooks.
Leaving it for 1.5 hours is something you have to evaluate and be comfortable with.
None of us can help you there.

May I suggest kicking the temp up and get the ribs done before you leave.
They will hold just fine if wrapped in foil and placed in a small dry cooler.

Good luck and let us know how it goes or went!!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
rknotthere
Found some matches.

Thank you Downtown for the advice! I will certainly do the 3-2-1 cook. I am leaning toward just the rub; esp. since I plan on letting them rest with the rub overnight, I think the mustard would take over and the flavor would not cook out.

Last edited by rknotthere; 03-24-2011 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add name

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
rknotthere
Found some matches.

Thank you for the advice on the heat Kapn, I will certainly increase that in my plans. I bought a 3-in- one gas/charcoal grill with a side smoker to start with, Outdoor Gourmet brand. I plan to get a Hondo smoker in the future...just getting my feet smoked right now. I will also try to either run my errands early or smoke the ribs early, or see if my brother will come and tend the fire while I am away...prob will if I offer him some ribs...

Last edited by rknotthere; 03-24-2011 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: adding name

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome to the Brethren!

My .02 based upon your questions are:

1. I'd increase the salt ratio of the rub - it looks low to me. It is the most important ingredient.
2. I'd cook ribs hotter - between 250 and 275. You'll have a more complete rendering of fats that way.
3. I'd skip the Mesquite - super strong for ribs. Pecan is awesome.
4. Drink the beer - you won't taste it in the cook.
5. Have a blast & post some PrOn!

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
rknotthere
Found some matches.

Thank you all for your tips. I am very glad that I posted this question before tomorrow! I will increase my heat, use pecan only, add salt to my rub, and mustard to the trimmings to see how that goes, and drink the Guinness! I think that I may add the can of beans to the drippings also...that sounds really tasty!

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknotthere View Post
Thank you Downtown for the advice! I will certainly do the 3-2-1 cook. I am leaning toward just the rub; esp. since I plan on letting them rest with the rub overnight, I think the mustard would take over and the flavor would not cook out.
The mustard would definitely cook out, so no concerns there. Might want to rethink leaving the rub on overnight though. The salt and sugar in it will draw a lot of moisture out of the meat, which could lead to a tougher end product. I'd recommend applying the rub about an hour before you put the rack on the smoker. As soon as you see the rub turn a bit mushy, you know you're good to go.

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #13
J3
Knows what a fatty is.

Have Fun and post some pictures!
J3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
rknotthere
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
The mustard would definitely cook out, so no concerns there. Might want to rethink leaving the rub on overnight though. The salt and sugar in it will draw a lot of moisture out of the meat, which could lead to a tougher end product. I'd recommend applying the rub about an hour before you put the rack on the smoker. As soon as you see the rub turn a bit mushy, you know you're good to go.

Thank you! I will do just that.

Unread 03-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #15
MushCreek
Full Fledged Farker

Sometimes I rub with mustard, but you can also use mayo for a lighter flavor.