The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
m2244
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Suggestions for smoking cheese

Hello,

New to the forum.

Anyway, my dad used to do quite a bit of smoked foods in his Little Chief smoker, which I dug out of his shed recently. I tried some Vermont Cabot cheddar tuesday night, the first thing that I have ever smoked. I didn't have much faith in myself for a first try but it came out pretty good. I had to leave it in there for about an hour, I think the heater needs to be replaced.

I am wondering what other kinds of cheese are good smoked.

I think I need to do some research before I try to smoke meat.

Thanks for any help.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
BlueHowler
is one Smokin' Farker

You can smoke any kind of cheese. I think the Little Cheif puts some heat out so you may not be able to do softer cheese like Mozzarella or brie.

I use a cold smoker and have smoked cream cheese to spread on salmon. Yummy!

Swiss is another cheese that is good to smoke.
BlueHowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Psammead
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
Hello,

New to the forum.

Anyway, my dad used to do quite a bit of smoked foods in his Little Chief smoker, which I dug out of his shed recently. I tried some Vermont Cabot cheddar tuesday night, the first thing that I have ever smoked. I didn't have much faith in myself for a first try but it came out pretty good. I had to leave it in there for about an hour, I think the heater needs to be replaced.

I am wondering what other kinds of cheese are good smoked.

I think I need to do some research before I try to smoke meat.

Thanks for any help.
Most non-blue cheeses smoke well in my experience, obviously soft cheeses can benefit from some support if placed on bars or a grill (if they came in a box just remove the top and sides). One tip I would suggest is to cling film the cheese immediately after smoking and leave in the fridge for a day or two, this seems to allow the smoke flavour to permeate and mellow. The cheese is quite edible straight away but the smoke can be a little harsh and concentrated to the outside, it generally tastes much better after a couple of days.
Psammead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Rookie Dave's going to jump on here pretty soon, I hope, but I'll say in advance that that guy smokes everything. Even butter. We melted smoked butter on popcorn and it was heavenly. I know I've seen smoked Swiss, cheddar, gouda, and a bunch of others.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Here is my basic set-up for my Big Chief. Most cheeses work good, cheddar is always popular, and I try to buy a good quality. Muenster is about the softest cheese I smoke, and you have to be careful so it doesn't get too soft and deform.

To keep the heat down, I will block open the lid.

The other option for a colder smoke, as shown in these Swamprb photo's, is to set the entire rack up high, and set a cardboard box over it.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
bbq boyee
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So if I was to smoke say a cheddar in my little chief smoker on the top rack what would you recommend for a time? What is a good wood to use?
bbq boyee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Depending on how large of pieces you are working with, and what degree of smokiness you want, and how much smoke you are working with.... I would go at least an hour. 1-1/2 hours might be the high end of time.

I start off with this amount of wood, and when I add wood I don't empty the ashes and only add a few chips. Alder is a very mild wood, I like it and I like apple too.

If the smoker is getting too warm (which you don't want), either vent the top lid, or just unplug it for 10 minutes or so. In the first picture, look at the blocks on the left, you can see a couple got warmer and sank into the grate. (that's why I like to use cheese cloth now) The last picture shows some softer cheeses, notice how the edges are rounded from getting warm.

One other thing, it does take a day or two for the flavor to mellow. Some folks wrap it when it cools down, I keep mine covered in the fridge overnight at least, then blot any surface oil, then wrap or vacuum seal.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->