oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Sam's Club National Tour - Mandatory W-9 Required

Just heard from the event director of my "local" event that all teams will be required to provide a fully filled out W-9 (i.e. with SSN) at the Friday cooks meeting. This is mandatory for all teams, not just money winners.

Is this a normal thing for contests? How do you guys feel about that?

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
glenntm
On the road to being a farker

We received the same e-mail this morning. We've had to do this at a couple other events before.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

they had us do that in midwest city, at the sams event last year
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Hmmm I still don't have an email.

Tom, did it come from Mike Lake?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

So, you guys think that is cool?

Just trying to gauge how other teams feel about this. As a victim of identity theft I am a little gunshy when it comes to this type of information. I expected to have to provide it if I won some cash, but being required to provide it before the contest starts took me by surprise.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post

Just trying to gauge how other teams feel about this. As a victim of identity theft I am a little gunshy when it comes to this type of information. I expected to have to provide it if I won some cash, but being required to provide it before the contest starts took me by surprise.
I am sure it will speed the payout process to have it done ahead of time...
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
glenntm

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Hmmm I still don't have an email.

Tom, did it come from Mike Lake?
No, it was Ben Lobenstein.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
glenntm

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post

Were OK with it. We have an LLC set up, and will give them that Tax Id number.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
AZScott
Take a breath!

I think this contest is a little different than most. With the event being sponsored by Sam's Club and occurring on Sam's Club properties I don't see them taking any chances when it comes to the IRS. What are there, 30 locals, 5 regionals, and 1 national contest? That's a lot of money and additional risk compared to a local charity throwing a competition. I have no issues providing a W-9 but I have started keeping all of my receipts related to competing this year.
AZScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, cool. I know Ben is completely trustworthy...I just don't like my info getting too far away from me, but it looks like it's the only way to play in this particular ballgame.

Thanks for the information!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
kcmike
is one Smokin' Farker

I think if the contest was being put on by the local Rotary Club, I might question their need for the information. However, since Sam's is, well... Sam's, I don't think it's probably all that big of a deal. Probably the wave of the future.

~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~

Lang 84D
22˝" WSM
Oaklahoma Joe 20x40
22˝" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

We are going to see more and more of this.

Obamacare has a provision to require a lot more 1099's than before.
And, 16K extra IRS agents to support it.
Stated reason is "to determine the amount of unreported income which should be taxable"--or close to that.

This provision has gotten a lot of heat and Obama has indicated he will "re-think" it and may be "ameiable" to the repeal of it.

Till that happens (if it does) we will see a lot more organizers collecting W-9 info and issuing 1099's.

I am keeping receipts and mileage records for every nickle and mile we spend competing.
Better safe than sorry.

JMHO

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #13
Bentley
Babbling Farker

You can have my SS# when I when the money, seemed to work at the American Royal, they did not ask for mine it until after the awards...Like you, intil then I will keep it to myself. Are you gonna give me my W-9 back if I dont win any money?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

This is far from unusual.

If you enter as team abc barbeque and the promoter pays a check to abc barbeque how have you dealt with that in the past?

I'm a novice at best, with no real resume to speak of, but I certainly have a tax umbrella for all of this. to include the write offs...

much ado about nothing.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I don't mind turning in the W-9, I just dont want my SS# floating around when it is not nessesary.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote