The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Shipping a 575 Pound Smoker

Anyone have any tips for shipping a 575 pound smoker? I am planning on using a freight company to ship one to me. It seems that I will have to arrange the shipping myself. Depending on what I get, it could be an 800 to a 1200 mile trip.

Any "gotchas" that I should look out for when scheduling with a shipping company? Is there anything about how it should be packed that the shipping company will expect?

Thanks
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
TG
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have never shipped a smoker, but a few years back we had a custom oven shipped for our new house. The main thing to watch for is damage insurance. If they get in a wreck and your smoker gets demolished you don't want to be out your money and a smoker. Most frieght companies will provide you with their insurance info. Hope this helps
TG is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

on a pallet, use styofoam to pad the corners, plastic wrap to help in keeping dings and weather off it, make sure when they deliver that they have one of those mini forklifts to take it off the truck and set it down where you need it, the bottom line is, if you are paying to ship it the shipper should be able to pack it for you, but make sure you mention that you want these things followed and make sure when they strap it down with the metal banding that they pad under the piece of 2x4 with styro so you do not have wood rubing on your metal. and inspect upon delivery for damage and insure for double the cost, this will cover your product and shipping cost ...just in case

RR/ Mike
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Not smoker specific, but is this to be a residential delivery?

A couple of years ago I bought a 20x20 industrial party tent that was being shipped to me from about 450 miles away. Residential delivery was ridiculously expensive and the shipper asked if I had the means to pick it up the trucking depot that was 10 miles from my house. That saved a bunch, and all I had to do was drive the ten miles and the trucking company brought the pallet out of their warehouse on a fork lift and just placed it right in the back of my pickup. Real easy for me and saved some $.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
gtr

Downloads: 2

If you are buying the smoker new from a fabricator do they have a shipping company they work with regularly or can recommend? You may want to see if there's a shipper that has a track record with that company. When I got my Klose they set up the shipping, but I dang sure paid for it.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
meatinc
On the road to being a farker

Hey Bo -

Is the unit already packed up / crated / skidded? Are you buying it from a manufacturer or a private party? If you are buying from a manufacturer then they should already have it properly packed.

If you are buying it from a private party then you are relying on their skill to pack it. If you have them pack it and they don't have any experience then I would worry. Best advice to make it easy is have them get a pallet or make a skid that has at least 12" from the edge of the pallet to the smoker - this will avoid accidental fork lift bumbs and dings from other shipment loads. They probably won't have a strapping tool so have them buy a 4 pack of ratchet straps from Harbor Freight or Home Depot and use those - better than rope and simple enough to strap down tight.

Shipping companies - if you don't already have a relationship with a LTL carrier your best bet is to use an on line service such as freightquote.com. You can instantly get rates and choose the carrier you want. They are all basically the same - don't worry about who is better. Try and figure out what the freight class NFMC is - you want the lowest number they will allow for that commodity - try for a 50 or 85 - it should be dense enough for that class. How are you going to get it on and off the truck? Does the person / company you are buying it from have a dock and / or a forklift? Do you? You may need to get a truck with a lift gate. Then you can pallet jack or man handle the skid onto the truck. Still not easy but much cheaper than having them come out with a fork truck.

Insurance - they will give you an insured amount based on the class and the weight. Example - class 85 is $.35 per lb - IF - there is any damage when it is received - NOTE IT IN WRITING on the Bill of Lading or you will have zero shot at a claim. If that rate doesn't cover the cost - purchase additional insurance from the carrier / web site. You may want to buy it anyway - it's pretty cheap.

More questions - PM me.

Unread 03-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

www.uship.com - multiple offers online

PS.... whatcha getting?

Don't forget...residential delivery... the liftgate option.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

Depending on the type of smoker, you are looking at a class of 77.5 or higher. I just had a Stumps Smoker shipped to me and it was class 77.5. It could be higher and the larger the number, the more expensive. Residential fees, liftgate fees are all extra and may or may not be included in the quote. Make sure whatever you do tell them if it is going to a residence and if a liftgate will need to be used.

Freightquote.com is a good company. Never used Uship.com.

Unread 03-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Thanks for all the tips, brethren. I am doing some research for when I am able to make a purchase in the next couple of months. I am looking at a Lang 48 or a Jambo backyard model. It all depends on the $$$ involved and the time it will take to get the smoker.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Fishiest1
Full Fledged Farker

I found the best prices at www.myfreight.com
circa 1986 250 gallon stick burner
Weber 22.5 kettle
Fishiest1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Cook
is One Chatty Farker

BBQBandit hit it. Great web site...and yes, request a lift gate...unless you own a tow motor.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
thillin

Might be excessive, but when I bought my Klose, I opted to pick it up. I used the $ shipping would've cost to take the family to Houston for the weekend. Rented a small U-Haul trailer and picked it up on the way back out of town. Might cost a little more, but we had a fun weekend instead of paying someone else to drive it.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #13
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Most of us manufacturers have a shipping company that they deal with. I use Old Dominion because the are very careful not to damage my cookers. It will cost you an extra $ 100.00 or more for residential delivery. It is cheaper if you have it delivered to a Business or if you pick it up from their terminal. If you let the manufacturer arrange the shipping, any damage would be reflected back to them. Make sure to inspect the cooker for any damages and note it on the bill of lading prior to signing for it and contact the manufacturer ASAP.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Bigdog

Or you could do it Dogstyle:

1) Find a crazy Brother that will ride with you. (Thanks Arlin)
2) Find a crazy Brother that will meet you 1/2 way. (Thanks Phil and Co.)
3) Find more crazy Brothers that will help you load it. (Thanks Chi-town Bros.)
4) Hold a mini Bash with all crazy Brothers.
5) Drive home and get still more crazy Brothers to help you unload it. (Thanks Wichita Brothers)
6) Have a great time doing it using the money you would have spent having it shipped.

:c ool:

Weber Platinum Kettle, Weber OTS, Meco square grill, ECB, a WSM, a cool fold up camping grill, a Blackstone flat top camping stove, The MOAB, and now the proud owner of a YS640, MOINK.

Smoke on Brother KC

Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
Or you could do it Dogstyle:

1) Find a crazy Brother that will ride with you. (Thanks Arlin)
2) Find a crazy Brother that will meet you 1/2 way. (Thanks Phil and Co.)
3) Find more crazy Brothers that will help you load it. (Thanks Chi-town Bros.)
4) Hold a mini Bash with all crazy Brothers.
5) Drive home and get still more crazy Brothers to help you unload it. (Thanks Wichita Brothers)
6) Have a great time doing it using the money you would have spent having it shipped.

:c ool:

Thought that was coined the Brethren Relay... and it works, too!

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote