The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Tri Tip in Australia Advice required!

Yes that's right Btethren! It's here... courtesy of Cosco!

Now all I need is some good BBQ'ing advice!

What should I do with it brothers?

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I've only done one (weird for someone in California, I know) but if I remember correctly you treat it like a regular cut of beef as far as IT goes - not like a brisket. I think it is traditionally cooked over red oak (Sta. Maria style) & I don't know what the traditional rub is. I'm sure some western Brethren who know more than I do will be along shortly to sort you out. Good luck and looking forward to the pron!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
deepsouth

My favorite way is salt and pepper and leave it nice and rare and slice it thin. So many possibilities.

είναι το είδος.
deepsouth is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Twisted Martini
Knows what a fatty is.

I do mine with equal parts salt, pepper and granulated garlic/garlic powder. Internal temp should be 135 for med rare, be sure to turn if you are grilling direct. Slice against the grain after a 10-15 min rest.

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
bluetang

I have exactly one under my belt, salt, pepper, cayenne. Reverse sear, seared, pulled rare. Not too shabby.

Last edited by bluetang; 03-20-2011 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: cannot spell
bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
inv3ctiv3
is one Smokin' Farker

Heavy on the garlic powder
Lots of black pepper
Salt

I also add a bit of cumin and pakrika, I cook tri-tips weekly and always over oak.

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I use a traditional Santa Maria style rub:
3 tsp kosher salt, and 2 tsp each of coarse pepper, granulated garlic and dried parsley.

Then reverse sear or direct/indirect until internal of 135 over oak. Rest for 20 minutes or so and slice against the grain. I treat tri-tip like a good rib-eye steak; I don't get too fancy and let the meat do the talking.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

Ill tell you how I do it, Im reluctante to thou due to all the experiance on this board , I feel like a catholic school boy getting ready to take the ruler swat from the penguins.
The way i do it is I trim most of the fat off and coat with a montreal sesoning and let sit 2-4 hours better overnite , then I sear it on all sides then cook it on indirect heat at 275 to 300 degrees until it reaches 125 degrees then put it back onto a very hot fire for 5 minutes then pull off and put in a tub with towels over it for 20-30 minutes to rest.It is a perfect medium rare at this point. Then slice at 1/4" or a little less for sandwichs with garlic cheese bread.
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #9
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Sear, super hot, then indirect till you get 135 IT, rest for 10 minutes. Slice against the grain, eat.

BTW, The butcher carved it up kind of funky. Looks like a super thick flap meat.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
landarc

It is an outstanding cut that responds to all manner of treatment. The traditional method, a rub of salt, pepper, chile powder and some celery seed, maybe some powdered garlic will work great. Sear hot, then move to offset heat and roast until desired temperature.

I now do reverse sear and I like it a lot, smoke for an hour, over 225F until 125F in the middle, then sear until 130F to 135F in the middle.

Here is a post.
And another

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
Moose

Congrats on getting some tri-tip down under! It's a really great cut of meat I think you will really enjoy. As with any cut of beef with strong muscle striations, you don't want to cook it past medium at the most or it will be tough. I usually pull mine when it reaches 130-135 internal at the thickest point. Keep rub/seasoning simple.

Some really good feedback from Landarc on cooking techniques. I've been an advocate of the reverse sear for a number of years. One of the best qualities of this technique is that the meat will be much more evenly cooked throughout, and absent the nasty "grey ring" one gets with the old style of searing the meat first.

Here's a link to one of my tri-tip cooks you also might find helpful:

/www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73593

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It is an outstanding cut that responds to all manner of treatment. The traditional method, a rub of salt, pepper, chile powder and some celery seed, maybe some powdered garlic will work great. Sear hot, then move to offset heat and roast until desired temperature.

I now do reverse sear and I like it a lot, smoke for an hour, over 225F until 125F in the middle, then sear until 130F to 135F in the middle.

Here is a post.
And another
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
I use a traditional Santa Maria style rub:
3 tsp kosher salt, and 2 tsp each of coarse pepper, granulated garlic and dried parsley.

Then reverse sear or direct/indirect until internal of 135 over oak. Rest for 20 minutes or so and slice against the grain. I treat tri-tip like a good rib-eye steak; I don't get too fancy and let the meat do the talking.

I totally agree with the above. Treat this like a thick steak and make sure you slice across the grain.
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
socalnewb
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothsmoke View Post
sear, super hot, then indirect till you get 135 it, rest for 10 minutes. Slice against the grain, eat.

Btw, the butcher carved it up kind of funky. Looks like a super thick flap meat.
+1000000

Unread 03-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #14
Moose

I feel the need to chime in at this point as it relates to reverse sear vs. indirect:

These two photos illustrate the difference between using a direct sear first vs. a reverse sear. There's a big difference between the two in the final outcome, especially as it relates to evenness of cooking and overall juiciness:

Direct sear:

Reverse Sear:

Notice the grey ring in the outer part of the first pic. This is what happens when you take a piece of meat (particularly a larger size roast like a tri-tip) and sear it first over high heat. By the time the roast is done, you have an outer layer of overcooked, tough meat. In addition, it has been demonstrated in numerous test kitchen experiments that the reverse sear resulted in a significantly lower loss of juiciness than direct sear.

I used to do the direct sear for many years as it was the standard of how to grill meat, but I have to say, since I've been doing the reverse sear method, I'll never go back.

Just sayin'...
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #15
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I feel the need to chime in at this point as it relates to reverse sear vs. indirect:

These two photos illustrate the difference between using a direct sear first vs. a reverse sear. There's a big difference between the two in the final outcome, especially as it relates to evenness of cooking and overall juiciness:

Direct sear:

Reverse Sear:

Notice the grey ring in the outer part of the first pic. This is what happens when you take a piece of meat (particularly a larger size roast like a tri-tip) and sear it first over high heat. By the time the roast is done, you have an outer layer of overcooked, tough meat. In addition, it has been demonstrated in numerous test kitchen experiments that the reverse sear resulted in a significantly lower loss of juiciness than direct sear.

I used to do the direct sear for many years as it was the standard of how to grill meat, but I have to say, since I've been doing the reverse sear method, I'll never go back.

Just sayin'...

I am a believer!!!
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote