• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole Hog Injection

Mad About Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
whole hog, or any cut i guess... do ya'll inject? if so with what? not comp stuff... just pig picking hogs..

whole hog, or any cut i guess... do ya'll inject? if so with what? not comp stuff... just pig picking hogs..
LOL at "not comp stuff". Ok, curious, why not comp stuff?

For pork we inject either creole butter or a mixture of apple juice,
worchestershire, and our rub.

Last edited:
there's a difference from what i cook/eat/sell from what i put into boxes. just asking what the "backyard bubbas" do..

LOL at "not comp stuff". Ok, curious, why not comp stuff?

:thumb:For pork we inject either creole butter or a mixture of apple juice,
worchestershire, and our rub.

Thats what i was thinking about using.. something very simular...

No injections for me. Tradition is tradition. Inject and you deviate from the tried and true.

Now if you're not going for tradition, then by all mean inject.

Me? I don't inject. That's best left for the competition cooks in my opinion.

Being an MBN comp guy (both judge and competitor) I've had probably as much whole
hog as anyone my age. I LOVE it. While I do enjoy it straight up (sans injections), a
good injection can add an wonderful flavor that actually enhances the flavor of the
hog (IMHO). My personal favorite is from the ham. That, or high on the shoulder...
Some of the hog guys use butter (whole lbs.) on it strategically placed where they can
get dry. The butter itself adds flavorings. It was judging whole hog a few years back and among the top 5+- entries one in particular stood out. They ended up getting 2nd only because they presented their hog with a sauce that wasn't particularly complimentary. However, the meat all by itself was outrageous good. Later I went and asked what they'd used and he told me it was Cajun Injector's Creole Butter, but only in small amounts. Since then I've tried it in mine and it does a great job of adding
wonderfully complimentary flavors, but also like he said, in SMALL amounts...

Back