The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-19-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Chubby Tuna
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sausage and Jerky in my UDS?...Help please.

I have around 150lbs of elk meat that I'm slowly working my way thru and I need to mix it up a bit. I'm wanting to make some Salami, summer sausage, pepperoni stix and Jerky. Can I do it in my UDS? Need some help with temps, time and technique. Is this usually done "cold smoke' method? Could I use a heating coil in my UDS for the lower temps? Thanks for any help
Chubby Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

I make venison summer sausage in my UDS all the time. I just try to keep my cooker temps around 200 until the sausage is at 165 internal temp. I believe the process would be the same for the pepperoni and salami. I have made bologna and snack stix using the exact same method. You just can't check temps on the stix, they are to small, usually about an hour and a half to two hours for them, you just have to kind go by feel and of course, a sample or two!! For jerky I would try to bring temps down to about 180, I'm not sure my UDS will go that low, I use a dehydrator for my jerky, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I think 200 is too high for jerky. What you can do is put your jerky on your uds for an hour to infuse the smoke into the meat, then remove and put in a dehydrator or oven. I do jerky at 155, but my smoker will hold that temp.

Unread 03-19-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
Chubby Tuna
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Not sure I can get the UDS to go under 200 and keep it steady. That's why I was wondering about a heating coil and smoke box. I'm thinking I could get 150-180 out of that and keep it under control. Anyone tried this?
Chubby Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote