The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Should I get a WSM?

Okay, I love my 16-year-old Weber Kettle. And I get good food off of it. But, I want a more stable temperature for low and slow cooking.

I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Weber bullet (pun intended), but want to get some final opinions.

I am not cooking for business, or even for competition. It is all for myself, my family and my friends.

I'm looking at a 18-inch WSM. My goal is to have a more stable cooking temperature. Keep in mind, there is almost always a breeze where I live, and often it is downright windy. I can move my smoker into the open garage, but it would be nice not to have to do that.

Big question: Can I get 8 hours of relatively consistent temperatures from a WSM? If so, are we talking plus or minus 10 degrees, or plus or minus 50 degrees?

My kettle can easily spike by 50 degrees without warning. It is very annoying. Will a WSM deal with that, or will I be wasting my money?

Money is tight, so I don't want to spend it unless the money will buy me better results.

Thanks in advance.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Harbormaster
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Big question: Can I get 8 hours of relatively consistent temperatures from a WSM? If so, are we talking plus or minus 10 degrees, or plus or minus 50 degrees?
Thanks in advance.

CD
If you can't you are doing something wrong.
Frankly, I don't sit and watch the thermo on my WSMs. If it jumps a little here and there, big deal.
My experience says that you should be able to run a WSM for twelve hours without significant temp changes.

Since you are in a breezy/windy place, a windscreen works well instead of running it in your garage.

You will not be disappointed with a WSM.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 4 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 2 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 1 Red OTS (H); 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 3 SJPs (DT, DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Maybe you should look at a Cajun Bandit Conversion kit http://www.shop.cajunbandit.com/prod...1&categoryId=4

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

If you're gonna pull the trigger for a WSM go for the 22-inch or you may be wishing you did later.

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

yes

today
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

But seriously,

no freakin doubt you get 8 straight. i can get a solid 8 hours at 250 degrees out of 1 bag of competition kingsford. (which padiodaddio proved burns hotter and faster than kingsford blue bag)

no yr temps wouldn't fluctuate 50 degrees if you just check it real quick. if you have the lid open adding food it will drop 50, but it regains temp really quickly. i do not use my guru on the wsm and i have no problem maintains any temp.
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #7
JazzyBadger
Babbling Farker

WSM is totally worth the money.
Between my WSM 22", my 22" Kettle, and my crock pot, I plan on not cooking inside all summer long.

I started with a COS, then I got myself a kettle, got a WSM and haven't regretted a moment of it. I waited a whole year to buy the thing, kept reading up on it, and the more I read the more I liked the thought, and I am 100 percent satisfied.

Unread 03-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Duh! WSM-ing!!

Everything I cook is judged by SIX!!

Daddy and Me BBQ Competition Cooking Team
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #9
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

What everyone else said. I would also go with the 22. There are times I really wish I had a couple more 22's
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Of course you should. You'll love it especially for butts and brisket, and no, you don't need to shell out more money for the big one going by what you said. Check out CL and you might find a steal.

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

If you're cooking for any kind of crowd, do as others say and get the 22. If your family is fairly small, the 18 will do you fine, and it isn't a fuel hog.

Either way, you won't regret it! The only time we use our 22 besides comps is to cook for an event. Although being able to get a full packer brisket, or multiple rib slabs in it without a rib rack is kind of nice
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

I have owned both the 18 and 22. The 22 will do everything a 18 can but it does use more fuel( more room needs more heat). I now only have a 18 and Pellet Grills. I had to sell one of the WSM for space. I would agree the 22 maybe the better buy. I live in a area that can be windy also. I wrap loosely the WSM with reflix from Lowes as a wind break. Temps can be kept within 5º with a Stoker or Guru.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #13
smokemonster
Knows what a fatty is.

I did about a dozen low and slow cooks on my 22.5 kettle and had some great results. Then I decided to get a WSM and I couldn't be happier. I've only had it a couple of months, but I've done a few 8+ hour cooks without having to add fuel or make any vent adjustments once I got the temp where I wanted.

I only cook for my family and small gathering and the 18.5 seems to have plenty of room if you don't want to cough up the extra dough for the 22.5.
smokemonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
Stacks
On the road to being a farker

You can't go wrong with a WSM! I just bought another 22.5" yesterday for the same price as a 18.5". Check out this thread. It will save you about $100 on a new WSM.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101002
Happy Smoking
SAUCED HOG BBQ / KCBS CBJ #60733

Last edited by Stacks; 03-17-2011 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: better link
Stacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I got about 16 hours on a ring full of K on my first cook the 22 WSM. That was at temps of 275-295

Definitely get it. Use the Sears ad to get it cheaper too!

6th post down.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101002

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote