The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
The only information I could find about this cooker was not great. The one person I found who had tried one had trouble with air leaks and temperature control. I ended up taking it back to Menards without ever putting it together. The price is right, but I'm not sure they have the bugs worked out.
Being that these type of cookers are so heat efficient, an air leak can wreak havoc on temp. control. IMO, I would just try fix the air leak, so long as it was not a huge defect. Plugging those air leaks along with some experience cooking on it, temp. control will be no problem. Each cooker has it's learning curve.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

JS-TX

You are probably right, but I wasn't willing to take the time to mess with it. I guess I'm getting old.

CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #18
hockeyfox
Got Wood.

I have the Big Steel Keg and saw this at our Mendards. This unit is definitely built much cheaper than the Big Steel Keg. The top and bottom dampers appear almost cheesy and I would definitely be concerned about heat control for long cooks. Probably okay if all you are going to do is grill, but this unit does not hold a candle to the BSK.
hockeyfox is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

Menards...enough said. i shop there for a lot of things, but some stuff you really need to be buying under the "buyer beware" thought process. it sucks for me as the nearest other home stores are lowes 1.5 hours and HD at 2 hours.

Unread 04-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
Rys06TBSS
On the road to being a farker

Is there any more info on this grill? Im considering it for replacement of my Char Broil Gas Grill
Rys06TBSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #21
Qing
Knows what a fatty is.

Pictures!!! Please
Qing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #22
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

I'm glad this came up. They have them on sale for $280 at the Menard's near me this week and I was tempted, but I think I'll just hold out for a BSK.

Unread 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #23
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

The link JS-TX originally posted http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=5516.15 has pictures and a good discussion on this. The owner of this one seems happy with it.

CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #24
Mcartesyn
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Picked one up at Menards last weekend for $280 (on sale this week). It took less than an hour to assemble. It appears to have a good seal, but will see. It uses the same type of braided seal as your typical oven door seal. Because it's not ceramic, no springs are necessary to offset the cover weight. It instead uses a clamp to insure a good seal. Haven't fired it up yet, as it is in the 30's here in Minneapolis!
Mcartesyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #25
Rys06TBSS

Check where the ash pan gets strapped to the base for a gap. Mines got a pretty sizeable one.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #26
Mitch
is One Chatty Farker

Get a Weber Kettle!
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
Qing
Knows what a fatty is.

any updates on this one? heard a lot of the same "air leak" complaints about the bubba keg when it first came out. folks seem to love them now...
Qing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
Rys06TBSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qing View Post
any updates on this one? heard a lot of the same "air leak" complaints about the bubba keg when it first came out. folks seem to love them now...
I have made some great steaks... But I think it was just the charcoal. Im in the process of switching over from propane

Unread 05-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #29
rhodeje
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thumbs up Big Red Kamado Kooker

I've had this cooker for about 2 months. Love it. I've cooked ribs, turkeys, pork butts,burgers, steaks and pizza. All good. I also have used the QI 110 pitmaster with it works great. I did do some modifacations to the top vent I put in a stronger spring granted it's not a Big Steel Keg but for the money and if you're a weekend warrior like me it's great.
rhodeje is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #30
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

Any updates on this cooker, looked at one tonight.
Worth while, or just get a BGE, stick with the UDS's?