• Kingsford

Votes: 34 30.9%
  • Stubbs

Votes: 76 69.1%

• Total voters

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Both are on sale this weekend. I like others are looking to stock up for the year. Which of the two is better and why? Also, just don't vote for one because that's all you've used. Vote either way only if you've used both brands. Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:
Where's the Stubbs on sale? Lowes?

Stubbs for me. I've used it exclusively in my kettle until recently I tried a bag of Kingsford. I like the flavor imparted by the Stubbs better and the ash issue is better for me too.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] __People worries about galvinize bolt and nuts!!!!!!![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Here is the official ingredient list for Kingsford Charcoal Briquets from a company press release, including the purpose of each ingredient in parentheses. The explanation after each ingredient is my own.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Wood char (Heat source)
    This is simply the wood by-products I mentioned above, burned down into charcoal—almost pure carbon. In the case of Kingsford, they use woods like fir, cedar, and alder that are local to the regions in which they operate—Burnside and Summer Shade, Kentucky; Glen, Mississippi; Belle, Missouri; Springfield, Oregon; and Beryl and Parsons, West Virginia.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mineral char (Heat source)
    This is a geologically young form of coal with a soft, brown texture. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. As with the wood, Kingsford heats this material in an oxygen-controlled environment, eliminating water, nitrogen, and other elements, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.
    [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Mineral carbon (Heat source)
    This is anthracite coal, the old, hard, black stuff once commonly used for home heating. It helps Kingsford burn hotter and longer than a plain charcoal briquette. It's already 86-98% pure carbon, but once again, Kingsford processes it in an oxygen-controlled environment, leaving behind—almost pure carbon.

What exactly is coal, you ask? "Nasty stuff," some folks say. Well, coal is a fossil fuel, most of which was formed more than 300 million years ago. To make a really, really long story short: Plants and trees died, sank to the bottom of swampy areas, accumulated into many layers, then geologic processes covered the stuff with sand, clay, and rock, and the combination of heat and pressure converted it into what we call coal.
    [/FONT]

I need to try some Stubbs. I have been using royal oak lump, but have been wanting to try it

...and another vote goes to Stubbs. :thumb:

As I've already said just today,only one "strange" bag so far, (thankfully, on a day cook), and I've NEVER woke up to my fire going out from ash suffocation. Maybe it's more humid around here, but K blue does that to me on low-n-slow cooks more times than not.

Also, I know it's heresy, and I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but I'm convinced that it lasts just as long or longer than K blue. Yep, I know it's only speculation, but I suspect that the stuff they add to K blue isn't to just make it a better charcoal. I think the formula is what gets acceptable performance assessment in the marketplace while being cheap to manufacture and ultimately produce more profit off a bag. I know, I'm just speculating, but there SURE is a whole lot of ash left at the end of a cook compared to Stubbs or other high quality briqs. The binders and crap that doesn't burn up can't cost as much as hardwood char. Right?

I normally do not use K Blue for Q'n but will for grillin'. This past weekend i decided to do a smoke and really didn't feel like driving to the store just for lump charcoal so I used the K Blue that I'd normally use for grilling. The ash was horrendous. Almost suffocated my dang fire twi-sst.

I remembered real quick why I didn't use it for Q'n. Won't do it again. :thumb:

...and another vote goes to Stubbs. :thumb:

As I've already said just today,only one "strange" bag so far, (thankfully, on a day cook), and I've NEVER woke up to my fire going out from ash suffocation. Maybe it's more humid around here, but K blue does that to me on low-n-slow cooks more times than not.

Also, I know it's heresy, and I haven't done any side by side comparisons, but I'm convinced that it lasts just as long or longer than K blue. Yep, I know it's only speculation, but I suspect that the stuff they add to K blue isn't to just make it a better charcoal. I think the formula is what gets acceptable performance assessment in the marketplace while being cheap to manufacture and ultimately produce more profit off a bag. I know, I'm just speculating, but there SURE is a whole lot of ash left at the end of a cook compared to Stubbs or other high quality briqs. The binders and crap that doesn't burn up can't cost as much as hardwood char. Right?

My vote goes to Stubbs. I get far less ash, longer burn, no stinky smell and better flavor.

Back! Picked up 8 bags. That should hold me up till Memorial day which I expect to get better deals. :thumb::thumb:

Stubbs here. I like having less ash to deal with and for me personally, the flavor imparted in the meat is better than Kingsford. Just my $0.02. Don't get me wrong, I cut my teeth on the K, and I use it mainly for grilling instead of smoking anymore. Both have their purpose for my needs. I do think the Stubbs burns longer than the K on long smokes. I have 2 UDS's that I use exclusively for long hauls. So, for long burn times, less ash, and what seems to me to be a better "flavor" in my meats, I go with Stubbs.

My vote is for Stubb's also.
I went to Lowes.com and entered my zip code and the price is coming up $8.49 a bag. Is the sale in certain area's only?

My vote is for Stubb's also.
I went to Lowes.com and entered my zip code and the price is coming up $8.49 a bag. Is the sale in certain area's only?

I did the same thing, came up with the same price. I'm about to drive to Lowe's and see if it really is on sale. On second thought, maybe I will call them first.

*Edit: Just called Lowes and the Stubbs is NOT on sale in my area, but the Kingsford is. A bottle of KC Masterpiece is coming free with the bag of K as well. Call before you go, it may save you some time.

Back