拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
Smokin' Hicks
On the road to being a farker

Default First Competition

Our first comp. was NKC this past weekend and got 70th place overall out of 104 i think
kinda discouraging thought my stuff was better than that
i knew my chicken wasn't the best...been having problems with that damn yard bird
but my brisket, pork, and ribs were nice...but apparently not
i don't even know where to start evaluating my pork, ribs, and brisket
chicken is just a nightmare for me
but i guess time to revamp things and go back to the drawing board
A little help on how to evaluate scores would be appreciated
change everything or make minor tweaks?

Last edited by Smokin' Hicks; 03-14-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Smokin' Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
Fatback Joe
is Blowin Smoke!

Well, we need more details to be able to really help, but I would still say that probably only minor changes are needed and not a full overhaul. The difference in scoring the upper 1/3 vs the lower 1/3 are not that drastic.

It was just your first comp, don't chuck everything just yet.

What were the actual scores?

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

I would try it out at least another contest or two. My first time in NKC, but from what I've heard not very many trained judges. I ended up 79th overall and plan on keeping things the same next time out! I just come to drink beer though

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I'm not the best cook in the world, but I have never had the scores I had at NKC. Take the beating and move on. That's what I plan to do :)

BTW, in a field like NKC I can't imagine a first time team coming out and whooping @$$. Don't over think things and see what happens the next time out.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I always heard to give a recipe 3 contests to make sure it's not the judges, but if all the scores were lower than you expected, I'd suggest finding a team to help mentor you.. spend the weekend with someone who has had some success and learn a little more about what you should be shooting for.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I'm not the best cook in the world
But you are the current 2011 Casten Cup Holder...that counts for something right?

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

One contest is just input. Three or more contests is a trend that should have you considering changes.

In a big field like that, you can have ten or more teams within a couple points of each other, so your placement number isn't as relevant as how many points you were out of first in each category.

Break down your raw scores. You've got to be reliably in 8's and 9's to contend, so when you view each of your categories just by appearance, or just by taste, or just by tenderness, is there one area where lower scores predominated? That's your first signpost of where to go.

That was a big and deep pond to just jump in and swim your first time -- good for you getting out there and doing it!
Don't overthink or undercook.

180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
bbally
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Hicks View Post
Our first comp. was NKC this past weekend and got 70th place overall out of 104 i think
kinda discouraging thought my stuff was better than that
I can really relate to your discouragement. You can click on the thread where a lot of people chimed on trying to help my team out. Might help.

My thread on KCBS competitions

I am of the opinion that this is a flavor/sauce competition. So if you did not sauce you will not get into the top half of the placings.

Go through the thread above... it is eye opening. Also pay attention to the mathmatics. The weighting really enforces the fact that without Flavor/Sauce in great depth there is no way to contend. You have to hit that flavor/sauce depth thing first or all the other stuff is Moot.

End of April we are about to test this conclusion. If we don't improve we will have to come up with another set of tweaks, if we do improve we will continue to tweak what seems to be working.

Any way read that thread, good people here and they posted good information in that thread.
bbally is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #9
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Don't feel bad. It was your first competition, you didn't come in DAL, and you got all your food cooked and turned in on time (those were my goals for my 1st comp). Was it fun? Did you meet some interesting folks? Did you learn anything? Was the beer cold?
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
Weber Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Just look at your scoresheet. See anything other than 8's and 9's? Those have to be improved. How to improve is up for discussion. I am from the school of thought that I could win a contest with kc masterpiece and salt and pepper if I cooked everything perfectly. Of course cooking everything perfectly is problematic.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Last year NKC was our first contest. The weather was crap it was cold, windy and rainy. We practiced our arses off all winter and thought what we had was WINNING! We ended up finishing in the 70's I think (or worse). We then went to St. Joe and finished again in the middle of the pack. It can be discouraging but talk to some teams try to find a mentor and they can give you some valuable information. It is hard to keep going with the expense of it but hard to just stop at the same time

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Worth Smokin' BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Red Therma-Pen[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

If you haven't already, try to find and attend a judges class, and/or volunteer early to be a judge at a contest near you. Better yet, judge for a season. You need to know what's being turned in, and I know of know way to do that except to judge.And other than the cost for the class and the KCBS membership fee (assuming that's the type of comp you're doing) it's a whole lot cheaper education than a comp!

As others have said, you weren't DAL in anything, so for a first time, you didn't do too bad.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Ron_L

If you have pictures of your boxes we'd be glad to give you feedback on presentation. I haven't figured out the whole virtual taste and tenderness thing, however

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #14
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

NKC only had 40% CBJ's! As such, I'm chucking this contest and the scores and moving on. If this contest had 90%+ CBJ's I would take the scores more serious. There was too much inconsistency in the judging to determine any trend. You think that with all the money we put out for these contests, the least the organizers can do is to maximize the number of "professional" (CBJ's) judges.

Consider this contest a pre-season warm-up to get the kinks out of your process and don't worry too much about your scores. I'm not changing one recipe for Pleasant Hill in a couple weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Also, .
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

delete. I jacked the thread