The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brisket Box practice

This is a picture of a practice box i let one of the guys on my team put together. I know it's bad, but I'm gonna show him this thread later to help explain what he did wrong. I cooked the meat and the flavor was great and the texture was really good as well. If you could score it with a little explanation that'd be of some help (some of the problems are obvious). Like I said I'm gonna use this as a learning tool. thanks
jrbBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I was gonna take a picture of a box I put together, but I had about 10 people in my house and by the time I got back to the brisket all the good pieces were gone. Same thing happen with my chicken I had 10 thighs I to pick from to make a box, and 6 of the pieces disappeared right after I took them off. First thing I learned, never have a practice with a bunch of hungry people around. I guess I should have told everyone what was going on. Oh well, everyone got fed.

Unread 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I am going to say this as nicely as possible. That box might get 4's in appearance. The meat is sliced all over the place and uneven. The burntends are not uniform at all. Crack in the front slice. Backs slices meat side up front slices fat side up. Smudges all over the meat. I bet that brisket from the looks of it could have made a really nice box. Good Luck. You asked I gave.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll add that the lid is a mess. Also it just looks like everything including the parsley was just put in the box, as if you had less than a minute to get it to the judges and threw something together just to get a turn in. Definitely a 4, 5 at best.

Unread 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I gave him 10 minutes. When I saw it, I laughed, then it hit me that he was one of a couple people that's gonna be able to go with me to a few comps. I know I'll be pushing it on time to do it all myself. I've done a couple practice "putting greens" myself. I think that I'll just have to do those the night before and put them back in the cooler.

Unread 03-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

That box is a hot mess!

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

You might explain to him that appearance is one of the scoring criteria.

Unread 03-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
4 smokin butts
Full Fledged Farker

that needs to be explained to the judges also,i think judges should take there class,cook with a team ,then they can judge a contest
4 smokin butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

the back slices are better looking then the front lol only 5 uneven burt ends messy top of the box and needs more green stuff it would get a 5 max

Unread 03-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

Of all that one could critique with this box, I'd have to say the overwhelming lack of uniformity is what seals its fate. Most of the other posts have touched on a little of everything. As a CBJ, I can handle less than perfect slices, a little smudge on the lid, etc....but all slices/burnt ends/garnish must be uniform for the box to strike me in a positive fashion. Reason for this is, if it's uniform, then I'm very well aware of the time and effort you spent making it that way.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Find some pictures of well made brisket boxes and show them to him. That should do the explaining for you.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #12
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

You're not supposed to judge the lid
You're not supposed to judge the garnish

It's a meat contest

The brisket looks dry
Clean up all the crumbs
The chunks look tossed in

5, maybe a 6 in person. It's just,,,,there. It doesn't make me want to dive in.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
smalls65
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
I am going to say this as nicely as possible. That box might get 4's in appearance. The meat is sliced all over the place and uneven. The burntends are not uniform at all. Crack in the front slice. Backs slices meat side up front slices fat side up. Smudges all over the meat. I bet that brisket from the looks of it could have made a really nice box. Good Luck. You asked I gave.
I have to agree with this post...It honestly just doesnt look like you put a lot of effort into making this box...Not tyring to bash you but I just wouldn't want you to go to a comp and turn that in...Appearance does help to WIN contest, and that would have you in the lower part of the scoresheet at the end if the day!!! I suggest you go to the "Pickled pig Forum"... There are some great threads on turnin boxes for Pork, Brisket , and Chicken that you can study and learn from....Look for the threads "Award Winning Comp Brisket, Award Winning Comp Pork, and Award winning comp Chicken" It'll take you from cooking to presentation!!! By all means don't give up, but keep practicing...and take pride in how your box looks!!!

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #14
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Lots of good comments and suggestions. You might want to assemble the box yourself after looking at that mess. You've spend a lot of time and money prepping, trimming, and cooking the brisket...you don't want it to look like a box of $hit in the last 10 minutes (I'm not saying that is tasted bad or texture was bad, just the appearance).
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
You're not supposed to judge the lid
You're not supposed to judge the garnish

It's a meat contest
I'm aware of what kind of contest it is....I've done quite a few. Anyone that takes a box to a KCBS judging table and expects not be judged on garnish or the neatness of their box is foolish. Sight before taste, and as long as it's done that way, cbj's will judge on garnish, lid smudges, putting greens or leaf lettuce, etc. Whether or not they mean to judge on those things is beside the point, it just happens.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote