MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
BPDC
Found some matches.

Default Brisket question please

First one of the year today.... and I've only done a few last year when I just got my Louisianna Country Smoker.

I Can't recall the exact process I had learned on here....

At what temp should I wrap it in tin foil and let it finish out to 200 or so ?

Should I wrap it?

I have not been able to really keep my flat moist at all.... feels like it's always too dry and needs bbq sauce just for the moisture contribution.

Suggestions?

Thanks
BPDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Trucky1008
is One Chatty Farker

I usually wrap my briskets anywhere between 160-170. Some folks add liquid (like beef broth) when they wrap their briskets, I don't. I usually inject my briskets as well. I hope this helps.

Jambo Backyard
Gateway Drum
Fast Eddy FEC100 X2
BGE- Large x2
Certified MOINK Ball Maker, 2008
KCBS Member and CBJ
8.5 X 28' ATC Trailer
Trucky1008 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

There is no right way or wrong way, some people wrap some do not. It is like fat side up or fat side down. Expeirment and see what works best for you and your pit.

I wrap mine at 160 with a liquid, usally apple juice or beef broth or both then probe with a toothpick about the 190 mark, when the toothpick goes in like it was soft butter then its done. Some briskets will be done at 190 some will have to go to 210 or even 220. Take out and wrap in a couple towels and put in a cooler for a couple hours to rest. Will soak back up a lot of moisture.
That is how I do mine.
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
wormdrink67
On the road to being a farker

I'm doing one right now....just crossed the 180 mark. I wrapped at 160 with apple juice, getting ready to check with a tooth pick. Good luck to you.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #5
BPDC
Found some matches.

Thanks a million everyone.
I am just at 160 but I want it a bit darker so I'll go another hour or so and wrap it.

Thanks again !!!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I do as Will does
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
BPDC
Found some matches.

I was told to pull at 200 and wrap in towel and put in cooler for an hour.....

Is this too early or do people typically ONLY go by the tenderness feel of the meat ???

Old 03-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPDC View Post

Is this too early or do people typically ONLY go by the tenderness feel of the meat ???

I've only ever gone by tenderness. Different briskets have differing amounts of collagens in them that need to render which is why you need to go by the feel. One may be ready at 200, one at 205, one maybe 195, etc. Rest 'em for at least an hour. I've only done a few but I think they've all turned out good due to paying attention to how they feel rather than what a thermometer says.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

agreed.... don't get stuck on temps.... learn to go by feel.

wrapping is subjective and a passionately debated subject. It can be used as a tool but it not necessary for a great brisket. Time, type of cooker, temp all are factors that must be considered.

I started w/o foil - had good briskets... began using foil for competion - had good briskets but were not my preference, and for the last few years post competition needs went back to not using foil and prefer the finished product once again.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am with GTR and Vinny, totally by feel and then pull when the probe goes in easy. Foil, cooler and rest for an hour.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't go by temp but rather by time. I smoke it at 175-195 for around 12 hours, and then wrap it in heavy foil and slow cook for another 10-12 hours. At 12 hours into smoking, the brisket has a nice crust so it is no longing absorbing the smoke.

Always keep the fat side up so it keeps the meat moist.
Dallas Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Dan View Post
I don't go by temp but rather by time. I smoke it at 175 for around 12 hours, and then wrap it in heavy foil for another 10-12 hours. At 12 hours into smoking, the brisket has a nice crust so it is no longing absorbing the smoke.

lots of ways to get a job done I guess... but just curious, have you ever tried increasing the temps ? just seems like a really long time, especially with the use of foil.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #13
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Dan View Post
I don't go by temp but rather by time. I smoke it at 175-195 for around 12 hours, and then wrap it in heavy foil and slow cook for another 10-12 hours. At 12 hours into smoking, the brisket has a nice crust so it is no longing absorbing the smoke.

Really the smoker temp 175-195? Hmmmm I've never smoked one for 24 hours. Maybe I should give it a try.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
lots of ways to get a job done I guess... but just curious, have you ever tried increasing the temps ? just seems like a really long time, especially with the use of foil.

Yes, it is a long cook time. But I've found out thru trial and error this system has worked best for me. The brisket always turns out tender and great smokey (but not too smokey) flavor. Every time I've tried to up the temp and cook it faster, it never turned out as tender.

I also like that I can get it started on a Saturday late morning, wrap it in heavy foil (double wrap is best) just before we go to bed, and it's ready anytime we want on Sunday afternoon or evening.
Dallas Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPDC View Post

Tenderness, only!! Different briskets will be done at different temps. Your probe should slide in like it's going into soft butter.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote