עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-10-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default A Man gots to do what a Man gots to do....

I got home last night and my wife says "You daughter has something to tell you".
So my sweet middle girl, age 4 says "Daddy, my dance class is going to have a dance recital in May. Are you going to go see me?"
I say "of course honey, I wouldn't miss it for anything"
So my wife looks at me and says "You won't miss it for anything?"
I said "That's right".
She follows up and says "I guess you need to cancel your trip to Austin then because that is the same day as the Sam's Club Cook off".
I just sat in my chair and stared. You see, I have been very excited that I got in under the wire to join some elite cookers down in Austin for the Sam's Club cookoff qualifier. All the scenarios ran through my head of maybe I can leave right after turn ins, etc. Then I came to my senses. My little girl is going to be more excited about me seeing her dance more than me possibly doing good in the qualifier and moving onto the regionals.
Not sure if KCBS will refund me the $250 and let the next person on the waiting list in there or not.
So all those in the Austin cookoff, good luck!! I guess I'll just have to judge the regionals in Ft. Worth instead to enjoy this event.

Unread 03-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

see if they will let you switch to Sata Fe. They still have some spots

Unread 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry to hear that. I took the "better to go ahead and ask for permission later" route. The Marietta contest starts the day after my wife's birthday...meaning we'll not be "going somewhere on her birthday weekend". She takes them birthdays seriously.

But she said 'tis ok (for now).
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

I would go for a switch to the Conroe event the weekend after (anyone want to switch events), but anything other than that is too far to drive right now with gas prices.
Pigs-I already took that route. I signed up for the event then told her about it and the cost that will go with it. After she got down flying around on her broom, she got back to cleaning with it. :)
Then this recital popped up....wish it was already scheduled and on the calendar before I made plans. Looks like I'm going to need the refund after my wife tells me all the costumes we have to be for this recital......

Unread 03-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

After 40 years, you will cherish the memories. Good for you!
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Weak! :-p

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Been there and done the same thing myself more than once. You made the right choice, no doubt about it. Make it a special day for your daughter.

Regarding the refund, I have an email from KCBS stating you CAN get a refund, minus the PayPal fees. So you're good to go.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
goodbuddiesbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

It's ok...you can get your money...but you have to take the receipt of payment back to a Sams Club why they judge you and make you feel like you stole it.

I had plans to win this event anyways, so don't worry about it.

Don't listen to Rub, that guy has seen more choreography than a sorority girl that red box rented all 10 seasons of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE...Seacrest OUT.
goodbuddiesbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
sharks_guy
Knows what a fatty is.

Consider it a deposit to the Karma Kitty.

Karma Kitty rewards good behavior 10 fold.... (According to a decision made by drinking buddies one guy's weekend)

I hope Karma Kitty is extra generous to you.

DanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
I got home last night and my wife says "You daughter has something to tell you".
So my sweet middle girl, age 4 says "Daddy, my dance class is going to have a dance recital in May. Are you going to go see me?"
I say "of course honey, I wouldn't miss it for anything"
So my wife looks at me and says "You won't miss it for anything?"
I said "That's right".
She follows up and says "I guess you need to cancel your trip to Austin then because that is the same day as the Sam's Club Cook off".
I just sat in my chair and stared. You see, I have been very excited that I got in under the wire to join some elite cookers down in Austin for the Sam's Club cookoff qualifier. All the scenarios ran through my head of maybe I can leave right after turn ins, etc. Then I came to my senses. My little girl is going to be more excited about me seeing her dance more than me possibly doing good in the qualifier and moving onto the regionals.
Not sure if KCBS will refund me the $250 and let the next person on the waiting list in there or not.
So all those in the Austin cookoff, good luck!! I guess I'll just have to judge the regionals in Ft. Worth instead to enjoy this event.
Mazda 3 Hatchback, Copper Red
(2) Green Thermapens
KCBS CBJ#54284
http://www.facebook.com/DanDBBQ/

http://operationbbqrelief.org
sharks_guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

You did the right thing! As a father of two young girls I'd sacrafice anything to see them happy.
Wicked fast, Super accurate, splash proof RED Thermapen
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Sacco View Post
You did the right thing! As a father of two young girls I'd sacrafice anything to see them happy.

You said it....having to skip a contest to make your kid(s) happy is a pretty easy pill to swallow....However if it was the Jack....we would have to bring in arbitration.
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

good for you! and your right when you say a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...

Unread 03-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
trueque
Full Fledged Farker

I applaud your honor. Your word needs to have value in your kids eyes regardless of the circumstances. However, it sounds like you got setup, bamboozled, ambushed. Good luck.

Backwoods Competitor Stoked
Backwoods Party
Weber Smokey Joe
trueque is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds like your wife set you up.......

Unread 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

As a dad who missed more than a few of his son's performances due to work related travel, I commend you for choosing to make your daughter's recital. You can't get those missed opportunities back and I know I regret having to be gone so often. Sounds like this is just the beginning for you though...
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote