The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Helping Rod Anderson's family

Last week I'd put something together to help the family of a member that has recently passed away. Rod Anderson was diagnosed with cancer last August, after he wasn't feeling well and went to see a doctor. Immediately after getting the result, he and his family traveled to a contest they already had scheduled. Rod wasn't up to doing as much as he'd like, so his wife and son carried the load. They won their first GC that weekend. Fate, they were due, who knows? For family reasons I canceled my planned trip to the Royal in October. At the last minute things changed and I made the trip to see friends, and contacted Rod to see where he'd be so that I could say hello.

Rod canceled the trip, at the last minute after becoming very tired while trimming his chicken before they left. He had treatment scheduled for the following Monday, and decided that cooking back to back contests probably wasn't a good idea. The thing that amazed me was that he WAS going, had purchased his meat, WAS trimming it up.... That's dedication to BBQ. In the end he made the right call, and he was looking forward to this year.

Rod had a form of cancer that was very aggressive, and so was his treatment. He didn't just spend a morning or afternoon getting chemo. He spent days in the hospital. He'd gripe about the lack of sleep, etc... based on having labs drawn all the time, different drugs administered etc., but that was the end of it.

When I last saw Rod in Kansas City, in mid January, he said he was feeling good and was looking forward to cooking the Royal in October. He sounded good and was very optimistic. It sounded like he'd turned the corner.

As things turned out, he had not. They never were able to get Rod's #'s to where they needed to be to try a different method of treatment. He endured a lot of pain, while they tried and when it became clear that it wasn't going to happen he opted to endure more pain and take radiation to buy time to put things in order for his family.

I shared that, in the hopes that some of you that were never fortunate enough to know Rod might understand what kind of man he was. I think we'd all like to believe that we would have that sort of courage. I hope I do.

While I've been buried at work I've been working on a way to help Rod's family out. He's survived by his wife Dawn, and 14 yr. old son David. I can't tell you in terms of money how great their need is. I know, that no matter what kind of insurance he had, that based on his treatment they will be extensive! I'm 45, and when Rod passed he was 40. I know I'd have left my wife with a mountain of debt, had I passed at that age, after the long fight that Rod put up.

Originally I'd worked out a plan for members to purchase product from other members that have a forum in the Ventures section of this site. To their credit, the members that have those forums were ALL more than willing to contribute and help and some were willing to be more than generous. I came to realize, after talking to several people, that sending a large quantity of product to the fundraiser planned for next weekend would only raise pennies on the dollar. After exploring some options, and communicating with some of the folks handling the fundraiser in Des Moines, I've come up with an option where I believe the contributions will do the most good.

Sara Anderson, is willing to make her Paypal account available to members who would like to contribute to helping Dawn and David Anderson. Instead of a $6 bottle of rub generating $2, the entire $6 will go to the family. Sara has access to the account set up for them, and is handling the silent auction. All funds contributed will be going to someone directly tied to the family and the event to raise funds in Des Moines.

For the PayPal account please contact a moderator. They will have that info available. I will try to work with Sara, and Phil (BBQChef33) to set up a page in the next day or so that will make the process easier. Besides being buried with work, I will be leaving DFW shortly to spend some time with my Mom in San Antonio who is also having some health issues. If anyone has any questions for me personally please feel free to shoot me some email via the forum, if you don't have my personal email already.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Last edited by bbqbull; 03-10-2011 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: sp
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Scottie
Babbling Farker

You can count me in George. Life is not easy for Dawn and David right now. I understand that feeling of having the rug completely ripped out from under you. the support that they receive from others goes a VERY long way. Trust me. I talk with Dawn almost on a daily basis to try and offer any insight that I may have and how to deal and cope. the love and support from things like this go a very long way in the healing process for them both. It's not about how much you give or can give. It's about the thought and the respect that you are giving the anderson family.

Whatever I can do George, I am in for it.

CANCER SUCKS!!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Thanks for setting this up, Jorge! You can count on us for a contribution, too.

As Scottie said...

CANCER SUCKS!!!!

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

I didn't know Rod or his family but you can definitely count me in. I know personally what cancer can do to a family and just maybe some day someone will find a cure for this deadly disease. Gods Love and Peace to the Anderson family.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
Big George's BBQ

Will be glad to do what I can Thanks for doing this
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

My dad passed away from cancer when I was 13 so I can relate to the things I assume David is going through. Having people to turn to definitely makes a huge difference. Thanks for setting this up Jorge.

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

You know we are in Jorge! Just let me know what we need to do.

Unread 03-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife is a 16 year survivor, I will do what ever is needed. My pledge of $1 dollar per participant in Goodbudies is still on the table.

God Bless
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I am in PM sent.

Cancer Sucks!

Unread 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #10
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I am a member of the Iowa BBQ Society, so I'll make my donation directly. But thanks for putting this together!

Unread 03-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Big George's BBQ

Donation Made
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #12
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I lost my best friend to cancer almost a year ago to the day. I would like to contribute in Allen's memory.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for helpin from afar G. I have some things for the auction and hope there is a good turn out. I know he would be in the line if it was one of us.

Just a reminder of the fund raiser sponsered by the Iowa BBQ Society on March 19th in Ankeny from 10 to 4. If anyone needs more info PM me.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

You can count on my wife and I for a little help.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
Sticks-n-chicks
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, very well written Jorge, Sticks-n-Chicks will be sending in as well.

Warm Smoke, Blue Skies...Best of days | Yoder 640 | FEC-100 | ABS Qube | 3 UDC's | WSM | KCBS CBJ
Sticks-n-chicks is offline   Reply With Quote