The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Default Favorite shakers?

This year I'm trying to work on really perfecting my own rubs and sauces. The $1 squeezey bottles at walmart are great for sauces but what is everyone using for spices? I have a wide assortment of plastic bottles store bought spices have come in but I've found that most of them either aren't airtight to begin with or let a few grains of rub build up easily and no longer seal tightly. Either way I wind up with clumpy rub.

Any particular bottles or shakers you've found that work well? My favorite so far is a used 17th street magic dust bottle. It looks like penzeys might sell some similar to that and I'm considering getting some.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get a pt ot qt mason jar punch or drill size holes you want in the lid or get one of those mason jar drinking glasses do the same it will have a handle on it
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

I just use the shakers you see at a pizza place for parmesan and crushed red peppers. When not in use I unscrew the cap, put a piece of wax paper over the jar and screw the cap back on then store in a cool dark cupboard. Rub stays nice and fresh for a long time that way.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Wampus

GREAT thread.
GREAT ideas!!!!

I've had this same problem. I just keep saving all the used shakers I have from spices, rubs, etc., but I have the same problem as Soybomb.

I've noticed that some rubs will list some ingredient to prevent caking. I've always assumed that if I mix rubs at home and don't use (or have) that ingredient, I risk caking.

I've also tried crackers, etc. to help with moisture to no avail.

Doesn using the mason jar or wax paper seal prevent the caking as well? It's the air, huh?

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Balls Casten
is One Chatty Farker

Oh ... that kind of shakers. Wrong thread sorry.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bover View Post
I just use the shakers you see at a pizza place for parmesan and crushed red peppers. When not in use I unscrew the cap, put a piece of wax paper over the jar and screw the cap back on then store in a cool dark cupboard. Rub stays nice and fresh for a long time that way.

+1 I also put my rubs in the oven for about 10 minutes at 240 to dry them out a bit before I jar them. So far that has worked well for me.
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Doesn using the mason jar or wax paper seal prevent the caking as well? It's the air, huh?
The wax paper prevents it for me. I'd always assumed the caking was caused by the humidity in the air, so no air = no clumps.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I use stainless steel powered sugar shakers. They come with a plastic lid which is nice for keeping any leftover rub from spilling out after I toss the shaker in my bbq tote box. I have never tried keeping rub in them afterwards since I was afraid it would react with the stainless. Walmart usually carries them in a large hole and small hole style.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fox-Run-Cr...haker/15573710

Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Brother you have some bad arse rub if it will react with stainless steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
I use stainless steel powered sugar shakers. They come with a plastic lid which is nice for keeping any leftover rub from spilling out after I toss the shaker in my bbq tote box. I have never tried keeping rub in them afterwards since I was afraid it would react with the stainless. Walmart usually carries them in a large hole and small hole style.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fox-Run-Cr...haker/15573710

Old 03-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
Brother you have some bad arse rub if it will react with stainless steel
Well since I am not a scientist and have never studied the reaction properties of stainless steel and rubs stored together over long periods of time it only seemed logical not to do it. However I do use some bad a$$ rubs (Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's) so I reckon I'm better off in the end

Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #11
landarc

If I make my own rub, I use either a glass or stainless shaker like Bover described and use the wax paper under the lid, like Bover described. Otherwise, I just use the jar or bottle that the rub came in. I use Simply Marvelous and Dizzy Dust salt free, so those are the bottles I use. I buy the small bottles to keep things fresh.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

I use Mason jars for all my spices and rubs.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestridge View Post
Get a pt ot qt mason jar punch or drill size holes you want in the lid or get one of those mason jar drinking glasses do the same it will have a handle on it
Don't forget to keep another lid with no holes to cover the lid with holes. Works great.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
RAZORBACK JIM
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the info...I like the mason jar idea!!!

Jim
WEBER PERFORMER
WEBER SMOKEY JOE
SMOKINTEX PRO 1400 (2)
BBQ GURU
[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] THERAPEN[/COLOR]
PIT-MASTER IQ 110
RAZORBACK JIM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #15
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I will also be trying the mason jar idea.

Normally I just try and make only enough rub for the task at hand, but it would be nice to have a premade stash.

As far as clumping goes, I bet mixing some Fresh Step into the rub would prevent that ;p
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote