The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #16
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I usually finish in the WSM or NB offset - but that's because I already have the fire going. One you foil it it's just heat! When I'm cooking the night before a party or if momma just has to eat at 6 pm I'll get up to the 165 or so (brisket) or 185 (butt) and foil it and put the meat in a 250 oven to finish off -- it'll get over 200 in no time! At that point I either turn off the oven and let the meat slowly cool (if we're eating at home) or put on the time bake to kick in several hours later and keep the meat warm until morning. I've done a couple of butts like this and just get up a little early to pull the pork and pan it up - then into the cooler for transport to the party.

Most competition cooks don't foil at 165 - they take the brisket or butt to the 195 "finished" temp and then foil and throw in the cooler. I think Jim has pointed this out a couple of times.

I will admit that I've found that my ribs finish a lot better if I do about 2-3 hours (just to the point he meat starts pulling back from the tip of the rib bone) and then foil - after that it's just determining when I want to pull them to finish.

3-2-1 is guaranteed to overcook the ribs -- that's ok at home but I can't afford to do this when competing. You gotta watch the ribs - and I cook spares not loinbacks.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2004, 04:26 PM   #17
JacksonsDad
On the road to being a farker

I am glad the "finish off in the oven" part is finally coming out...till my dad let me in on that secret, I felt like a quitter...now I know...we're all quitters! Just don't tell the normal folk that!

Oh, and regarding butts, check out the pulled pork sammiches recipe with Down South Rub and Pork Pickin' Sauce in the recipes section...tried it this weekend and loved it!
JacksonsDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #18
frognot
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Looks to me more like an open confession. Say three Hail Mary's and three Our Fathers for absolution.
Actually, this group says "Hell,Mary!" and "Old Farkers".
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-23-2004, 05:19 PM   #19
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Actually, this group says "Hell,Mary!"
or "Share Mary"

Unread 12-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #20
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I think this comment comes more from what cooker you're using and possibly the weather conditions. Jumping up every 30-45 minutes to check the temps on a 'dera just simply wears your a$$ out, especially if your 50.

Well then that explains a lot. I ain't near 50. I'm still just a boy dog.

Unread 12-24-2004, 04:08 PM   #21
jsn1511

i stuck it out when i smoked the deer for 16 hours!! 75lbs. of charcoal. Hey Saiko, i haven't forgotten about you buddy. =) When it gets a little warmer maybe we can meet up and que sumthin.
jsn1511 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2004, 02:37 PM   #22
jsn1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko
Make sure you mix in a little vinager finishing sauce to sweeten the pork (I use a combo of cider vinager, brown sugar, salt and crushed red pepper).
when you say finishing sauce...do you mean right before i foil it?

Unread 12-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #23
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn1511
Hrm, maybe I shouldn't have said finishing sauce. After I pull the pork, that's when I mix in the sauce. I've always used Paul Kirk's recipe for "Eastern Carolina Vineger Barbecue Sauce" :

2 cups cider vinager
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Be careful! Add just enough and it really sweetens the pork. Add too much and your pork tastes like vineger. Mix in a small amount and taste it, adding more as needed.

You can always add any sweet or hot tomato based sauce afterwards, I just use this sauce to "sweeten" the pork a bit.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:18 PM   #24
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't feel the need to play with fire as some of you and I'm closer to 60 than 50 but I still get to cook on offsets. Bark is better if you don't foil till you get the hold portion of the cook and the hold is best if there is no heat source involved. Why no get a WSM and finish the cook on it when you have had your fill of minding the pit. I also find that I like the smoke that a offset lays so starting in a offset is is good. Plus everyone can use another cooker.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:31 PM   #25
jsn1511

thankee Sai. (sorry couldn't help myself i had to break out the Steven King refrence) =)

Jminion, maybe one day i will have enough money to have two smokers =)

Unread 12-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #26
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Plus everyone can use another cooker.
You can expect incoming from my better half soon Thanks for stepping up and taking one for the team

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #27
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsn1511
Hrm, maybe I shouldn't have said finishing sauce. After I pull the pork, that's when I mix in the sauce. I've always used Paul Kirk's recipe for "Eastern Carolina Vineger Barbecue Sauce" :

2 cups cider vinager
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Be careful! Add just enough and it really sweetens the pork. Add too much and your pork tastes like vineger. Mix in a small amount and taste it, adding more as needed.

You can always add any sweet or hot tomato based sauce afterwards, I just use this sauce to "sweeten" the pork a bit.
Hit that nail squarely on the head!! It really makes the finished product.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote