Only 2 days in Memphis

NBBD

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
quick trip to Memphis Sunday Night to Wednesday Morning... I will have Monday and Tuesday to fit in as Much BBQ and sights as possible... But where to begin with such a tight timeframe? My wife will be working so I have free range and vehicle from 7am-abt 5pm.

We are driving down from PA... swing down to decatur for lunch on Sunday.

With such limited time should I stuff my self silly in one or two places, Or sample smaller bits at a lot of places... not sure when I will manage to get back

I would work in Central BBQ (Mid Town) and Cozy Corner in there some place.

Sounds like a fun trip.

+1 on Central BBQ. Apparently there's a fried chicken place (can't remember the name right now but will work on that) that is not to be missed.

Rendezvous dry rub ribs

Rendezvous' dry rub ribs are a must. Rendezvous is located downtown accessed from an alley near the Peabody Hotel. The atmosphere in the building basement is great too...notice the chard wood beams.

Note, they are closed Mondays. I found that out by accident when I planned a business trip to Memphis with plans to take my client there on a Monday evening. :redface:

Rendezvous is a place that folks either love or hate. Some folks have been known to call it a tourist trap. Never the less, if you're in Memphis and can eat there you should just so you can have your own opinion of it.

I believe the Fried chicken place gtr is thinking about is Gus's. I can't comment on it since it's still on my to do list.

I'll second (or is it third now:becky:) the vote for Central.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
4 things ya gotta do:

1) Try a pulled pork sammy with slaw. Sounds funky but rocks. I got mine at the airport, gate B-17. I believe it's run by Interstate BBQ.

2) Spend some evening on Beal Street and listen to some good Blues.

3) Visit the motel where MLK was shot.

4) You guessed it, go to Graceland. Tacky: check, over priced: check, strange: check, one-of-a-kind: check, tourist trap: check...I could go on but just go. You'll be glad you did.

I visited Memphis for a day trip a few months back. I contacted a local Brethren there for recommendations. This is what I got:

Originally Posted by deguerre

Hi Ryan!
Try the Bar B-Q Shop on Madison Ave
1782 Madison Avenue, Memphis - (901) 272-1277
Or Central BBQ
2249 Central Avenue - (901) 272-9377
Have fun while you're here!
Guerry

I had a pork sandwich at Top's for lunch, which is a local favorite dive. I wasn't too impressed, but am told that Top's is more a burger place.

I then tried Bar B-Q Shop for dinner. It is a cozy joint in the middle of a neighborhood. It didn't feel like a BBQ joint, but I really liked the atmosphere. More like a brew pub. I got the ribs and pulled pork combo. I wasn't impressed with the pulled pork, but the ribs were fantastic. They give you a 1/2 rack of spares, which is impressive for a cobo. I really really enjoyed them. Very meaty spares, very tender and juicy. They will serve them up either wet or dry, I asked for and got both. Skip the sauce or put it on the side. But the dry rub was great flavor and then after they come out of the smoker they sprinkle them with more rub and the flavor just pops. I wish that I had got a full rack. They made a deep impression on me. I bought a bottle of rub and my goal is get my ribs to taste as good as theirs.

I would like to try the other places in Memphis. So many to choose from. But I definitely want to go back the Bar B-Q Shop.

4 things ya gotta do:

1) Try a pulled pork sammy with slaw. Sounds funky but rocks. I got mine at the airport, gate B-17. I believe it's run by Interstate BBQ.

2) Spend some evening on Beal Street and listen to some good Blues.

3) Visit the motel where MLK was shot.

4) You guessed it, go to Graceland. Tacky: check, over priced: check, strange: check, one-of-a-kind: check, tourist trap: check...I could go on but just go. You'll be glad you did.

Agree. I've done Graceland twice. The first time was quick as I was rushed to catch a flight (and I didn't expect there to be so much to see). The second time I spent several hours taking it all in. I'd do it again too.

The fried chicken place is Gus' fried chicken. There is a convenient place in Bartlett.

thanks!

Thanks for all the help!

I wish I had more time-- but the suggestions really are helping me narrow down and plan/group things. using google mymaps.

Graceland and the Peabody were penciled in. Rendezvous since proximity to Peabody and I had heard you either love it or hate it so you have to try it yourself.

Very glad that Bigdog mentioned the Lorraine Motel. It did not even enter my initial thoughts-- Do you suggest doing the whole museum or just see the building itself.

Time wise: How much time can you get through Graceland? I appreciate Elvis's place in history and some of the music but that's it.
Time for doing the civil right museum?

Beale St. : Any bar/club to hit... or avoid. This is where my wife and I plan to go after she is finished work for the day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I will let everyone know the stops after the trip.

Is the divaq.ca site down or changed?

I know the review you refered to and thought I had found it before from your posting... But can't get back to it this am at all.

out of all the places we went to last year I think I liked germantown commisary the best..Heard good things about Cozy Corner and regret not taking the trip there

Graceland can take some time. If it's musical history you want check out Sun Records. :cool:

Thanks for the Sunstudio tip that does seem more interesting and significant for me. Our hotel is close to the commissary than downtown so Ill make sure to pop in there... maybe when we get in on Sunday evening.

Thanks to all the great input the Trip planning is falling together. Evenings on beale... that seems to be the one missing part. Since its not a weekend any suggested house band to check out. ?

Time wise: How much time can you get through Graceland? I appreciate Elvis's place in history and some of the music but that's it.

When I was a kid, I had two opportunities to see Elvis live in concert and I was like "no way!". lol

And now, after touring Graceland as an adult, I gained a great appreciation for his life and his music. I recommend allowing at least one-two hours as there is a LOT to read and take in.

Just arrived in Knoxville for the evening. 10 hours on the road with 9 of it spent on 81s. Nice drive but still long.

Time to settle in to a nice Gin and Tonic, watch a little flyers hockey and get some sleep. Tomorrow the real fun starts a few hours to Decatur Al, -Big Bob Gibsons for lunch and on to Memphis.

Had a nice Lunch at BBG today. Sample plate of Chicken and Ribs, Beans, Slaw and Potato Salad. Worth the experience and the drive since we are here. Sadly the Breast meat of the Chicken was WAY dry... but kind of expected that.

Lots of interesting sights driving from Decatur to Memphis. Being from PA im used to seeing lots of roadkill deer but Wow... Ive never seen somany coyote. (RK) More pics and updates to come.Just pulled in so we are not sure what dinner will be.

So do many Hotels down here copy the Peabody with the Ducks?... Our hotel has wood ducks swimming around inside and some massive koi.

Back