The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question for judges???

When more than one type of sample is put in a box such as with Pork when pulled, chunks, and slices of Money Muscle are all placed in the box in equal amounts. Do the judges try each one, or do they select just one piece to taste? Or does it depend on the judge?

Just wondering. Thanks.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #2
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

There are suppose to try each type that is put in the box. Make sure all our types/styles that you put in the box are of equal excellence.
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
When more than one type of sample is put in a box such as with Pork when pulled, chunks, and slices of Money Muscle are all placed in the box in equal amounts. Do the judges try each one, or do they select just one piece to taste? Or does it depend on the judge?

Just wondering. Thanks.
In GBA, judges are instructed to sample each type. When I serve as a table monitor, I remind my table of this.
olewarthog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I also asked in the judging class that I attended which one to score, for instance if you liked one sample type better than another. I was instructed to score the one that I liked the best. So it would definitely be to a cooks advantage to include more than one sample type if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
There are suppose to try each type that is put in the box. Make sure all our types/styles that you put in the box are of equal excellence.

Unread 03-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Much appreciated answers guys. I suspected/hoped that this was the case. I believe I can get equally good samples of all three types on pork.

Now I just gotta work on getting sliced flat and "Burnt Ends" right at the same time!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cant think of a sanctioning body off the top of my head that give judges a choice
where this is concerned. If it's presented, it's sampled/tried. Also, remember that
it's sampled/tried by every judge. If the body requires 5 pieces, make sure you have
at least 5 pieces of each thing. If 6, then minimum 6.

Unread 03-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
gmholler
On the road to being a farker

Most judges don't know (or care) about what individual piece is what or how one type is supposed to be so much better than another - they go for what LOOKS GOOD - it's just human nature. Are they supposed to try each type? Yes. But sometimes there's not enough in the box for each judge to do that. And no one judge wants to get known as a "pig" that takes everything! Most of them are serious about what they're doing and don't try to make a meal at the expense of the cooks - they know they're there just to sample. Does it depend upon the judge? Lots of times, yes. Probably the best thing to do, if you want to have several types of meat in the box, make sure they ALL look good and there's enough for ALL to take a sample of each.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I also asked in the judging class that I attended which one to score, for instance if you liked one sample type better than another. I was instructed to score the one that I liked the best. So it would definitely be to a cooks advantage to include more than one sample type if possible.
Whenever a cook enters more than one sample type for judges to try, judges are taught to try each as long as there is enough samples for all six judges. However, I've never been taught or taught a class that told someone to score the better piece. Different samples in an entry tray could either help or hurt and entry. I've heard judges comment that if they would have stopped at the first entry the score would have been better. But because the cooker put in all types of samples (sliced, chunked, etc) the judge takes all samples into consideration for a score. It also works the other way around. I know that a judge's score will go up if the second piece of sample was better than the first. Depends on the judge. They are to be taking the whole entry into consideration, not just one piece.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

In my neck of the woods, if you put several cuts in the box I will try each one. But you better make sure they are all up to snuff. If your big fat piece of pulled pork with tasty bark is supreme and you throw in some mushy money muscle.
IT"S GONNA COST YA!!!
Personal experience from team HART BURN.....
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

This was a very specific question and that was the answer. It is good to know however, that every judge has not been taught the same and is not on the same page with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Whenever a cook enters more than one sample type for judges to try, judges are taught to try each as long as there is enough samples for all six judges. However, I've never been taught or taught a class that told someone to score the better piece. Different samples in an entry tray could either help or hurt and entry. I've heard judges comment that if they would have stopped at the first entry the score would have been better. But because the cooker put in all types of samples (sliced, chunked, etc) the judge takes all samples into consideration for a score. It also works the other way around. I know that a judge's score will go up if the second piece of sample was better than the first. Depends on the judge. They are to be taking the whole entry into consideration, not just one piece.

Unread 03-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I try to sample every thing

Unread 03-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #12
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post

Just wondering. Thanks.

I think it depends on the judge, I make no excuesses that if I err in judging I am going to err on the side of the team. I used to take all meat that was presented and if one piece was better then another I would judge according to that philosophy. In the lasts couple of years, KCBS reps have been advising judges that they should average the meat, and that is how I now do it. Not my 1st choice, but I try not to be a scofflaw!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I was taught to sample each of the types turned in. If say the money muscle was great and the pulled was mediocre then you averaged them out for the score. If it's turned in and tasted, they're all scored not just the best sample.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #14
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
If that was a KCBS class then I think that your instructor needs to take a class! We're suppossed to judge the entry "as presented by the cook". To me that means that if you put it in the box you want me to judge it.

I've had Bunny as a cook, Rep and as a fellow judge at contests where I've judged and her feelings on this point are pretty well known .

ModelMaker knows this also.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #15
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Without calling names, this instructor was very well known and is well respected by all. He is a KCBS PHB. He emphasized looking for the very best barbecue instead of the worse. He said if you err, do so in favor of the cooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
If that was a KCBS class then I think that your instructor needs to take a class! We're suppossed to judge the entry "as presented by the cook". To me that means that if you put it in the box you want me to judge it.

I've had Bunny as a cook, Rep and as a fellow judge at contests where I've judged and her feelings on this point are pretty well known .

ModelMaker knows this also.