The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
mikegtp
Full Fledged Farker

Default Kamado at Academy Sports $499

Does anyone own this or know much about it's performance?

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1?N=578824977
<p>
</p>

mikegtp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

I don't own an Egg or pretend to be a ceramic expert but I've looked at them plenty in the stores. I just saw this one you've shown the other day and I wasn't terribly excited about it. Three things came to mind:

1. Maybe it was just the model I was looking at but the seal between the top and bottom didn't look great. It didn't seem like there was enough downward force to make a good seal. Maybe that's adjustable, I don't know. Didn't spend too much time looking at it.

2. Not a fan of the cart. Seemed top heavy and not stable enough for me with a ceramic cooker. Also I'd like to see more of a work surface.

3. The quality of the grate wasn't good. Seemed like a cheapy nickle plated grate. Pretty sure it wasn't stainless. If they're cheap with the grate it makes me think they're cheap with other components.

I just looked at your link on the Academy website and it says it's got one or more chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer. I don't know what that is all about but it makes me think possibly lead in the glaze or something.