The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #1
HONCHO GREGORY
Knows what a fatty is.

Default event prices

Can I ask you if you would be more likely to enter a BBQ comp if the price was

!, entrance fee $100 and the pay back is 100%.
in prize and cash

2, fees at $220 and pay back is also 80%

as long as the event is run in a pro manner

and would you enter if the event is a charity event vs
run for profit. With a promoter

Thanks, for the feed back
HONCHO GREGORY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm not keen on participating in any event with less then 100% payout. Every event we've cooked in has more then 100% of the entry fees going out to the teams.
Profit or charity.. the money should be made from sponsors, not the teams.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't really consider payout unless it is something really odd, but I would favor your first option. I'd be more open to a lower payout if the proceeds go to a charity versus a for-profit promoter.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Most entry fees around this area start at $200 and go up; I've paid as much as $600
entry fee and they always had a nice payout, 80% payout 20% charity, or 100%
payout. However, to the third part of your question, the entry fee is honestly one
of the smallest portions of the costs. For KCBS or other KCBS type we'll spend right
at $800 when it's said and done and we dont travel far. For MBN we'll spend about
$1200 but have spend more. What you're describing would definitely be a backyard
(non-sanctioned) comp, yes? For those you usually get a few local back yard type
of teams, and that's generally about it. You may get 1 or 2 teams that compete
regularly, but honestly it's unlikely. Most of them tend to stick with sanctioned
competitions.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

You also need to keep in mind you are asking that question in a state where teams will have, at last tally and pending some further developments, anywhere from 15-18 different competitions to choose from in 2011.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I look more at payout amounts than percentage of entry fees.

I've never done that math for any contest I have ever been to and unless its written somewhere on the application or contest advertisements, I wouldn't have any idea of what the payout to entry fee percentage is.

I have also seen charities far more professional than some pro's and some pro's that shouldn't run a bake sale. To that end, I think the event need to be well run no matter what type of organization runs it

but thats just me

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 AM   #7
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

I may be waaay off here, but I imagine most teams look for a competition that has a reputation of being well-run, has a good rep from the sanctioning body and has a minimum $7500 purse.

A lot of KCBS comps try to hit the $10,000 purse mark. Those usually have 38-50 teams or more. A $250 entry fee is about the limit for a purse of that size. When you get into the $20k, $35k, $50k purses, I can understand a $400-500 entry fee.

Doing all the calculating and percentage of entry fee to payout is a bunch of mindless chatter to me. I want to know some sort of concrete number before hand and I have other things to worry about during the contest as to how many showed up and what the purse will be based on that.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->