MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default First time Brisket question

Hi all! I've been looking everywhere for a choice brisket packer, but with no luck..Had to settle on a CAB flat from Sam's, but everything I've been reading tells me that I may have a hard time keeping it from drying out. My plan is to cook it low and slow on the Lang 84, over pecan, with a combo of Kosmo's beef injection and the Plowboy's Bovine Bold as my rub. I'm leaning towards fat cap down, but am open to fat cap up in case it might help with the moisture content and the reverse flow offset will protect from flames anyway. I do plan to try the butcher paper wrap at 170, after reading so many posts by Funk and others. Anyways, I'm looking for any suggestions so as to not dry out a $40 piece of meat!

Thanks in advance bro's.

Last edited by kbraun228; 03-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: misspelled title
kbraun228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

First of all, I am digging your Avatar!

My suggestion would be if you're gonna be cooking that on a Lang 84 is to put a big water pan in there to help out with moisture. Unless you will be cooking other food as well at the same time, one piece of meat in a cooker that big might have a tendency to dry out.

Other than that I would say inject it really well.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
First of all, I am digging your Avatar!

My suggestion would be if you're gonna be cooking that on a Lang 84 is to put a big water pan in there to help out with moisture. Unless you will be cooking other food as well at the same time, one piece of meat in a cooker that big might have a tendency to dry out.

Other than that I would say inject it really well.
Haha, just another member of the Who Dat nation! Yeah, I'm also cooking my a picnic roast to feed to a group tomorrow night and really wanted to cook a brisket on the stick burner, so I might try the water pan too.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would say since you are going to use the Lang, go with fat cap up, water pan in and let her go. Make sure to check for done with a probe, check early with a flat is my opinion.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
chambersuac

sounds like you have a good plan. The water pan isn't a bad idea, either. Remember that the meat will have to go past 170* internal and will stall there a while. After it breaks through that stall, check it with the probe and pull when the probe goes in "like butta" - rest in a cooler for an hour (at least) to let the juices redistribute...slice against the grain and enjoy.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

The secret to a moist, tender brisket is to make your injections many and small, not just a few in the thick parts. Large injections will "pocket". Next, foil the beast fairly early -- then pull at 195 internal and rest it for an hour before slicing.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
StarvinMarvins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Basic Brisket Question, but where are you taking the temps from? I've been taking temps towards the bottom right where the flat meets the point.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Default First time brisket question (Now with Pron!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
The secret to a moist, tender brisket is to make your injections many and small, not just a few in the thick parts. Large injections will "pocket". Next, foil the beast fairly early -- then pull at 195 internal and rest it for an hour before slicing.
I'm about 7 hours in and about to start checking IT. I did go with the water pan and I'm really anxious to see the end result. I'm gonna give my first shot at pron here and attach a pic from right when I put the meat on. I'll update a little later with a pic of the paper wrapped briskie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briskie.JPG (64.4 KB, 369 views)

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Lookin' good. I was going to say "easy on the bovine bold" as it has gotten a bit on
the salty side (for me anyway). If that 84 ever gets to be too much for 'ya, let me
know. I'll truck my old 60 your way and swap.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Wampus

Lookin good! I just realized how hungry I am.

My first brisket was a flat. It didn't dry out too bad.
You've got good advice (above). Follow it and you'll be fine.

If you're worried about drying out....another thing you could do (I did it after hearing it here) is to foil it after the stall (or when it's dark enough for you) and add a cup or two of beef broth in the foil.

BTW....I didn't know this when I started buying briskets as Sam's, but.....(at least at MY Sam's Club) you have to ask the meat cutters for a whole packer as they don't usually having anything out in the case except the flats. They have cases and cases of whole packers in the back. You just have to ask for them. (like I said.....at least where I shop)

Looking forward to finished pics!

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
chambersuac

looking forward to the finished pron...

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Lookin good! I just realized how hungry I am.

My first brisket was a flat. It didn't dry out too bad.
You've got good advice (above). Follow it and you'll be fine.

If you're worried about drying out....another thing you could do (I did it after hearing it here) is to foil it after the stall (or when it's dark enough for you) and add a cup or two of beef broth in the foil.

BTW....I didn't know this when I started buying briskets as Sam's, but.....(at least at MY Sam's Club) you have to ask the meat cutters for a whole packer as they don't usually having anything out in the case except the flats. They have cases and cases of whole packers in the back. You just have to ask for them. (like I said.....at least where I shop)

Looking forward to finished pics!
I was actually banking on it because when I called, they said they had some choice briskies out and whole packers in the back, but after further review, the packers were select/utility grade. Not sure why, but I've only found one small store locally that carries choice packers and they run out quick. It does seem like I've seen Sam's put out choice packers though; guess I just need to keep checking.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

You have a Rouses in Gulfport that carries Angus Choice. I actually work for them but in Slidell.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
You have a Rouses in Gulfport that carries Angus Choice. I actually work for them but in Slidell.
Dude..I completely forgot to check Rouses. I guess I just forget about em because they are on the other side of town.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
kbraun228
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, I wrapped at 165 because it stalled between 160 and 165 and I liked what I saw when I had to pull the picnic roast off..So, a little pron update for your viewing pleasure. Thanks for lookin'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (94.1 KB, 327 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (83.8 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (53.1 KB, 323 views)