The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Temeque BBQ
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Briket / Pastrami

Saw this at Costco, had to try it in my smoker. Anyone smoked one of these, if so do you have any advice. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (92.3 KB, 126 views)
Temeque BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Nope, but that is used to make Pastrami. Totally different flavor.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Willie's Smokehouse
On the road to being a farker

I always soak mine in plain water for 24-36 hours to help eliminate some of the saltiness. I also change out the water 2-3 times a day
Willie's Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I've never used that brand, but I make pastrami from store-bought corned beef all of the time. There is a Google search near the bottom of every page of the forum that searches just BBQ Brethren.com. Search 'pastrami' and you have enough reading to keep you busy for a couple of days

I agree with the member formerly know as slapyomommabbq on soaking to remove some of the salt.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you don't have one to three days to spend on the soaking try tossing two halves of a potato in the water (it helps absorb the salt) ever time you change it. You should change the water every 4 to 6 hours.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
thirdeye

Downloads: 2

I've been using store bought corned beef (brisket and rounds) for years... My friends are starting to drop hints about getting some pastrami for St. Patrick's Day. .... As in, they buy it and I smoke it.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the situation. Sam's has the best value and quality with the Grobels brand they carry, so I will insist on using that brand over one that only surfaces for St Patrick's Day. I would probably trust them to do the soak-out at their homes, but they would have to make a special trip to drop it off the day before so I could season and rest it. I would have to bring one of my BDS's home from the shop, which would allow me to smoke 6 or 7 of them. I could just do the foil finish, which I like..... but I like the pressure finish more. I have a couple of pressure cookers, so that would help. Then I'd have to arrange for folks to stop by, unless I opted to deliver it. Sheesh.

So, I'll either do the whole shooting match... buy it, soak it, season & rest, smoke, finish, and deliver. OR, I'll just go fishing. Heheheee.

Speaking of advice, I have a page on my site (link is below) dedicated to Pastrami using store bought corned products.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #7
chobint

In addition to soaking...

I've done a couple of these recently. I like to rub em with a pepper heavy, salt-free dry rub (pastrami style). I did one fully encrusted in freshly ground pepper and it was so hot I could hardly stand it. Otherwise I usually smoke em just like any other brisky. I have also overcooked one on accident and it turned out great b/c it pulled right into hash for taters and sauerkraut. I don't like to foil these either b/c mine have turned out moist and I like a gnarly crust. Good luck. Hope your first one turns out good!
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been wanting to make pastrami with one of these for a while. I stopped by the grocery store and picked one up. Will have to do more reading about it.
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I've been using store bought corned beef (brisket and rounds) for years... My friends are starting to drop hints about getting some pastrami for St. Patrick's Day. .... As in, they buy it and I smoke it.

I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the situation. Sam's has the best value and quality with the Grobels brand they carry, so I will insist on using that brand over one that only surfaces for St Patrick's Day. I would probably trust them to do the soak-out at their homes, but they would have to make a special trip to drop it off the day before so I could season and rest it. I would have to bring one of my BDS's home from the shop, which would allow me to smoke 6 or 7 of them. I could just do the foil finish, which I like..... but I like the pressure finish more. I have a couple of pressure cookers, so that would help. Then I'd have to arrange for folks to stop by, unless I opted to deliver it. Sheesh.

So, I'll either do the whole shooting match... buy it, soak it, season & rest, smoke, finish, and deliver. OR, I'll just go fishing. Heheheee.

Speaking of advice, I have a page on my site (link is below) dedicated to Pastrami using store bought corned products.
The pressure cooker finish that 3rdEye prescribes is fantastic. I've done them that way a couple of times and will continue to.

Unread 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
chobint

When you guys pressure finish, do you usually do it till a sliceable (deli style pastrami) or to a pullable/smashable finish?
chobint is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
Kevin

I use a meat slicer set to very thin, deli style.

Unread 02-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
thirdeye

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chobint View Post
When you guys pressure finish, do you usually do it till a sliceable (deli style pastrami) or to a pullable/smashable finish?

I shoot for a very tender, yet still sliceable pastrami. The pressure finish gives me that, plus a moisture factor that is similar to a steamed finish.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote