APL'S Grilled Whole Spatchcock Chicken

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Jackie gave me BBQ 25 by Adam Perry Lang for Christmas I already had Serious Barbecue by him. This Spatchcock chicken is wonderful.
DSC_0009-46.jpg

The Raws.
DSC_0014-43.jpg

The Brine
DSC_0019-28.jpg

In the fridge for 6-hrs.
DSC_0025-20.jpg

DSC_0026-21.jpg

DSC_0027-24.jpg

On a raised grid @300* with apple and cherry wood for smoke.
DSC_0029-19.jpg

Pulled @ 165* internal.
DSC_0030-16.jpg

Rested for 10-min.
DSC_0033-15.jpg

Served with Fresh Asparagus and Garlic Mashed Potatoes. This Chicken has a wonderful flavor and texture, very pleasing to the palette. I well make this again and again. Serious Barbecue and BBQ 25 books are worth having for the serious Cook.:clap2:

Recipe:http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2010/05/winner-butterflied-chicken-rec.html

Thanks for lookin.

Ross

Nice looking bird & great plate! I've been doing stuff out of Serious Barbecue lately & it's been fun checking out new recipes that have so far all turned out really well.

I already have the book, Serious Barbecue. I was in the book store yesterday and looked for his new book, Barbecue 25, but they didn't have it. I may have to order it. APL is great in my opinion.

As always Ross, those are some TASTY lookin' vittles!
Now I need to go ahead and purchase that there book. Wonder if there's a Kindle version.

Great job, that chicken looks so moist and tender, I'm sure it was delicious! I love that book and use many of his recipes!

Looks great and I'm inspired.
Got a couple of chickens in the brine right now, and I'll dust the snow off the egg a little later.

I love split yardbird. I end up taking out the breastbone and cartilage and just splitting the bird in half for ease of presentation, prep, etc. Just EVOO and some good rub...heavy on the bone side...bone down and go to town. They always turn out delicious. That recipe does look fantastic with all the fresh herbs in it. Nice work.

Back