oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Cooking for 100....HELP!

A friend of mine passed away and I have been asked to smoke some butts for pulled pork sammies for his memorial. I nwas told that there could possibly be as many as 100 people. I have never cooked for more than 10 people at once and I am , to say the least, nervous. How much pork do I need? What is the best way to keep it warm? I really do not like my pulled pork drowned in sauce so I dont think a crockpot will work. I am planning to start the night before and have it ready to come off about 3-4 hours before the memorial. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks
Chad
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

If 100 guests is the #, figure x 1/3 of a lb/each = 33 lbs cooked pork

That could be 60-70 lbs of uncooked pork...

That's about 10 pork butts... If you're timing is right and you really have them ready 3-4 hrs before, you can just rest them in a cooler or two..

Just remember if your at the memorial, you'll need some time to pull all the butts and put into hotel pans. If you choose to do this earlier, I think you can get away with some apple juice and sauce and warm in the oven.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

X 2 what he said

Old 02-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

+1 to above. Sounds right.

Don't sweat it man. Last year I cooked for 250 and was equally anxious and it all worked out. Just do what you know only on a larger scale. Don't overthink it. It'll all be fine.

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
jestridge

Most of the time there be lot of other food there so I would go with less. if it like around here there be tons of food
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Boshizzle

I'm sorry for your loss, bro. The most I've cooked for is 30. So, good luck with your cook. I'm sure you will do great and get some good advice here.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I think I will just fill my smoker up, It should hold about 40-50 pounds in there, and call it good. Jestridge you are probably right and I am going to have to count on that becuse I don't have a very big smoker. Thanks Militant for the apple juice and warm oven tip. I will let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks again
Chad
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Use smaller hamburger type buns rather than large 4" buns...it will "stretch" the meat a little further since you aren't cooking 70 lbs of raw pork shoulder and give you more sandwiches with less meat.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote