עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
gambler
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Horizontal vs. Vertical Smokers?

I'm new at smoking (meats that is), and I bought a Chargriller horizontal Texas style offset smoker. I'm still refining my methods, and improving each time.

But the more I navigate this sight, I'm seeing a lot of vertical smokers. They look like they would be more efficient and more evenly heated. I also noticed that some have water pans. What is the water pan for?

Also the BGE's and BDS's look pretty cool too. Is there any info on this site or anywhere else on the web where I can read the differences between different styles of smokers? I would also love to hear your recommendations on which smoker to purchase next. Thanks.
gambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Welcome to the addiction!

Verticals tend to be more efficient. Horizontal offsets are usually a cleaner burning cooker. To some the flavor from an offset can't be beaten. Others like the fat dripping on coals flavor from verticals like a UDS.

But there are so many types of cookers out there that it will just take alot of research to even begin to understand them all.

I would google "Chargriller mods" to start with and get some of those done if you haven't already. Then I would start the project of building your first UDS. I say your first one because there is a great chance that you will want more. They are in my opinion to paraphrase Pitmaster Donnie T, pound for pound the best smoker there is.

But one thing is for certain, with you using terms like "my next smoker" you are gonna fit right in here!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

It's all about how you like to smoke. I have an offset and love the taste of the que.

However, I have a UDS and love the set it an forget it (I also like the taste of the que).

It is all personal preference. Have fun, it's just a hobby, (for now, LOL.)

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Which smoker to purchase next? Why not build a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)? Here's a link to the thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

Unread 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

It's easy; he who dies with the most smokers wins!

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

AHHH its starting to take affect you got a taste now you want more...if you are interested in vertical smokers you can always make a UDS (ugly drum smoker) it is a cheap way to see if you like smoking vertical. They use very little fuel and can pretty much be set it and forget it. An other nice thing is they are cheap to make and you can add the option to use a water pan or defusser if you want. You should be able to make one for 100 bucks or less also. There is a thread with more than anybody ever needs to know on building a UDS here on the forum.

Unread 02-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
capnrob97
On the road to being a farker

I have a Chargriller offset and a Bandera clone.

I like both, but if I had to pick to just to keep, it would be the Bandera vertical style one.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
El Lobo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler View Post
I also noticed that some have water pans. What is the water pan for?

Because there is direct heat underneath the grill, the food can get dried out. The water pan provides moisture in the form of steam, and depending on the configuration, the pan could be used to fully or partially block direct heat/flame.
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

You cannot go wrong with a UDS, especially in terms of efficiency. Love my drum.

Unread 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Downtown Smokeout
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome gambler!! I also have a Chargriller w/sfb. It was a decent grill/smoker to start learning on, and as it has been stated several times in this thread already, a UDS should be your next step. There is a taste difference, but I did 4 8lb butts last weekend and didn't use half a basket of coals. Read at least the first 100-150 posts in the link J'ville provided and you should be fine. Any other questions you could have will be in there somewhere, but if you can't read that many just PM me and I'll help you along. Almost done with my second, I think I'm going to start getting creative with the next one. This is the UDS picture thread to give you some ideas. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=100279

Weber Imperial Sequoia (restoration in progress)
Weber Platinum (The Green Lantern)
Weber OTS 22.5
Weber SJ
UDS (with more to come)
Cheapo gasser
Old Smokey ES (A gift, don't buy one)

Humble member of the Society for the Preservation of Authentic Royal Magical Rare Kaskaskian Peppers
Honor bound to protect, prepare, and serve
Downtown Smokeout is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
SmokerKing
is one Smokin' Farker

I started out with an offset and quckly found out how much work went into monitoring the heat, recharging the fire, etc. Real PIA.

I researched the UDS, built a few, cooked a lot on them.

Haven't used my offset since. I need to sell it.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I have an UDS (love it) and am now looking into a vertical like a Stumps or Superior for the very reasons you mentioned. I'm just not into staying up all night and tending a fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
I started out with an offset and quckly found out how much work went into monitoring the heat, recharging the fire, etc. Real PIA.

I researched the UDS, built a few, cooked a lot on them.

Haven't used my offset since. I need to sell it.

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #13
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I'm one of those who like messing with the fire in an offset - a lot of times when I'm cooking, I like hanging around in my backyard around the cooker. I have a serpentine charcoal basket I can use if I need a few hours away, but I prefer stick burning. Sometimes we'll have 70 or more folks over for a party so I need the capacity (my offset has vertical & horizontal chambers).

While I thoroughly enjoy the process of cooking on a stickburner, I'll probably get a wsm or uds at some point because sometimes I may just want to cook a little bit & not spend a bunch of time tending the fire.

For me though, there's something about cooking on my offset that really works for me - not sure why - maybe I just like doing things the hard way sometimes.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I own a cheap offset and love it. Yes it wastes a lot of fuel, but that may be because it's just a cheap unit, Brinkmann. As cheap as it is, I love it. I love messing with the fire, throwing in sticks every 30-45 minutes. But I also love money in my pocket, so I decided to add to my arsenal and get a WSM which should save me some money in the long run with fuel. Both have their pros and cons I guess.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

I've only smoked on cheap offsets and high end quality verticals so I'm biased towards the insulated verticals. I think you'd like the convenience and user friendly attributes of the insulated vertical smokers. I own a Stumps Baby and I can tell you from experience it is about as close to "set it and forget it" as you can get and I don't even use a guru or anything like that.

The Backwoods brands are about the same way. They are excellent built units but use a water pan. The water helps control the heat and create humidity/moisture in the cooking chamber. I've owned a BWS unit as well and again, can't go wrong with it either. Good luck on your venture and welcome to the greatest addiction in the world outside of Jesus Christ Himself.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote