MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default Brisket help????

Can someone direct me to a thread on how to prepare and cook a brisket for competition? We just cant seem to get it right. Any help will work. Thanks
HOG WILD BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know Jack about comps, but this has been a huge help to me:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Perhaps one of the Moderators will move this to the "Competition" forum.

In the meantime, what are your scores telling you is right and what is wrong?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesmellslikesmoke View Post
perhaps one of the moderators will move this to the "competition" forum.

In the meantime, what are your scores telling you is right and what is wrong?
the last one we turned in was too done. Fell all to pieces. We cooked one the other day it was to dry. These things are hard too master!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
landarc

Some information would help. what type of cooker, what grade of brisket, what kind of fuel, what kind of temperatures, what is your process for preparation... If you provide that information, the help you get will be much better.

Fell all to pieces certainly sounds like overdone, dry is a lot tougher as that could be either.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Some information would help. what type of cooker, what grade of brisket, what kind of fuel, what kind of temperatures, what is your process for preparation... If you provide that information, the help you get will be much better.

Fell all to pieces certainly sounds like overdone, dry is a lot tougher as that could be either.
here is my cooker, packer brisket 8 to 10 lbs., hickory and charcoal, 200 to 225 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0218111421.jpg (81.6 KB, 222 views)

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
Big Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I don't know Jack about comps, but this has been a huge help to me:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

Great tutorial, too bad I learned it myself the hard way
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE[/url]
Patio Smoker
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7lqPKVzTI[/url]
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
landarc

While I think the post by Bigabyte, liked by gtr, is a great pictorial and narrative on how to do a brisket. The one or two things I notice.

1. I really like a packer brisket in the 12 to 14 lb range, I think they are more forgiving and the flat is a little thicker, hence more forgiving.

2. I like to cook at 250F to 270F for briskets. But, 225F would be my minimum.

3. You did not say how you are monitoring your meat in the cooker. I like to use a thermometer on a cable so I can see internal temps of meat with door closed. It will normally take 10 hours to get to 190F.

4. Once it hits 190F, I use a metal skewer, some use ice picks or thermapen probes..and I check for whether it is done by poking, when the probe goes in easily, it is done. I prove across the grain slightly and in two or three spots in the flat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
While I think the post by Bigabyte, liked by gtr, is a great pictorial and narrative on how to do a brisket. The one or two things I notice.

1. I really like a packer brisket in the 12 to 14 lb range, I think they are more forgiving and the flat is a little thicker, hence more forgiving.

2. I like to cook at 250F to 270F for briskets. But, 225F would be my minimum.

3. You did not say how you are monitoring your meat in the cooker. I like to use a thermometer on a cable so I can see internal temps of meat with door closed. It will normally take 10 hours to get to 190F.

4. Once it hits 190F, I use a metal skewer, some use ice picks or thermapen probes..and I check for whether it is done by poking, when the probe goes in easily, it is done. I prove across the grain slightly and in two or three spots in the flat.
i just ordered a digital probe thermometer. that should help out. we been just poking and hoping!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG WILD BBQ View Post
i just ordered a digital probe thermometer. that should help out. we been just poking and hoping!
Thermapens made by Thermoworks are the best I have found. They are expensive, but to me are well worth it.

http://www.thermoworks.com/

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote