The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
pufferbelly
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Minimum Draft

Brethren ........

What would you consider a "minimum" draft space below the charcoal grate or basket and the bottom of the firebox? Thanks, in advance
pufferbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That will depend on your ash buildup. Many factory smokers have 1 1/2 to 2 inches and can get full of ash before you are done with your cook, causing the fire to starve for oxygen. When I made the grate for the fire box in my BSKD I think it was about 3 1/2 inches. Not sure, that was awhile ago. I burn pretty much all wood with no charcoal, and depending on the species of wood, that can create a lot of ash.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Just off the top of my head I'd say four inches, pufferbelly. On a long cook you can fill half that up easily, still leaving enough room for some air.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
QDoc
Full Fledged Farker

My Lang 84 has about 6 inches
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

What size cooker/firebox?

A big stick burner that eats logs will need more air space than a small charcoal burner. Also depends on how often you're willing/able to clean the ash out. I have to "sweep" my NBBD about 3 times during an all-day cook like a 12 hour brisket. My grate sits about 3-4 inches from the firebox floor; but I've also cooked without a grate and with it raised about 5-6 inches depending on the length of cook, size of fuel and heat of fire I want, etc.

More confused yet?
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote