oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Why not pork stock?

It seems recipes often call for chicken or beef stock, even fish, shrimp & lobster stock. You can find a million chicken & beef stock recipes, canned versions for sale at the market etc.

Does anyone use pork stock?
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
BrooklynQ
Banned

Sure - I used to use pork stock a lot. Great flavor. It has much more depth than either chicken or beef. I'm not sure why it's not as easily available in grocery stores, but gourmet stores around here sell it as pork base.

I don't use it as often now because most times my pork bone is smoked. (Let it fly!) And smoked bones make a smoke flavored stock. Still good stuff, but not always the flavor I'm looking for in stock.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
cayenne
On the road to being a farker

I live down here in New Orleans....and learned that good stock is KING on so many of the dishes we do down here. I like to make pork stock out of the smoked bones...goes great with red beans and rice prep (really compliments a good andouille sausage in it)...and great for meaty jambalayas.

My favorite thing is to make smoked turkey stock...it is, to me, the key ingredient in Chicken and Andouille Sausage gumbo. Nothing can sub. for it....

But, a good pork stock...and I prefer smoked...is good for about anything you would use cooking water for in southern dishes...greens...black eyed peas..hoppin' john...beans of all sorts.

I don't like to waste anything foodwise...so, I cook...eat...and often make stock out of the remains...use it soon, or freeze it for later.

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #4
BrooklynQ
Banned

Don't get me wrong Cayenne. The smoked bones make a great smoked stock and smoked stock certainly has it place. But being a NYer I don't make too many dishes that would require it. I've never made a jambalaya or a gumbo. Make paellea once in a while though. I may try it with a smoke stock next time.

You got any experience with veal stock? A chef friend of mine said that veal stock is the secret for most of the top chef recipes in the country.

If you guys don't make stock and use it, you're wasting a great opportunity to add depth and flavor to sauces, rice, beans, greens and just about anything where you'd add water.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
cayenne

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Don't get me wrong Cayenne. The smoked bones make a great smoked stock and smoked stock certainly has it place. But being a NYer I don't make too many dishes that would require it. I've never made a jambalaya or a gumbo. Make paellea once in a while though. I may try it with a smoke stock next time.

You got any experience with veal stock? A chef friend of mine said that veal stock is the secret for most of the top chef recipes in the country.

If you guys don't make stock and use it, you're wasting a great opportunity to add depth and flavor to sauces, rice, beans, greens and just about anything where you'd add water.
I agree...whenever cooking...stock is always better than water (ok,maybe not with jello)...

I've not done much with veal...just don't see it around in the stores here that often...but, I'm slightly familiar with how the big restaurants do it...they actually take it to the demi-glace stage...this involves roasting a LOT of veal bones...then days of reduction with your basic mir poir (sp?) = carrots, celery, onions...and some slight seasoning maybe of black pepper,(tomato?) etc.

This is taken down to a very thick, gelatenous, product full of concentrated flavor...

This is usually such a laborious and time consuming situation, that many chefs go the store bought route these days...rather than dedicate so much kitchen and staff to keep in being processed...

You could probably google for the whole process description....

Hmm...well, it isn't exactly BBQ related...but, if interested...I could try to get together a good jambalaya and gumbo recipe...for ya'll...
I base mine off the original Paul Prudhomme versions....

C
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #6
BrooklynQ
Banned

Hell yeah - Post that!

Old 12-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #7
hornbri

Quote:
I agree...whenever cooking...stock is always better than water (ok,maybe not with jello)...
Vodka on the other hand....

Old 12-10-2004, 05:06 PM   #8
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds good to me.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #9
417bullelk
Full Fledged Farker

By all means POST IT! I have been wanting to try making some.

Thanks!
Weber WSM...Finally!!
Weber Performer
Weber 18.5" Kettle and a 22.5" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum w/One Touch Mod.
Weber Smokey Joe Silver, A Charbroil Gasser, A Little Red Campfire.
417bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #10
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

When you die, you will go to Spare Rib Heaven where there are shops dedicated to providing you with Pork Chop Pies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the stores never close. The smell of carnitas permeates your nostrils and the water tastes like Spam. And the women smell like bacon.
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

At the restaurant we used to use pork stock for the green beans, pintos, etc.

I've found ham base but not pork -- probably just need to look around more.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2004, 08:35 PM   #12
BrooklynQ
Banned

You can get it here.
http://www.allserv.com/drilldown.asp?itemid=6
or send me your address and I'll send you some

Old 12-11-2004, 01:24 AM   #13
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Does anyone use pork stock?
Great inquiry Dan... Board is over a year old and I don't recollect a similar inquiry.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:54 AM   #14
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samichlaus
When you die, you will go to Spare Rib Heaven where there are shops dedicated to providing you with Pork Chop Pies, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, the stores never close. The smell of carnitas permeates your nostrils and the water tastes like Spam. And the women smell like bacon.
Sounds great except for the spam flavored water.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #15
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Hell has the spam flavored water, so knowing this bunch when we die sounds like "we'll be drinkin' that damn spam flavored water." I think I can pick out a song to go with that.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote